Auto makers trying to stop home mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with most things similar that come along, usually the sky is not falling. There will be some issues, I am sure, but I have read a lot of write ups on this thing from a lot of sources and I think people are over reacting. they should be concerned and question everything that comes out of government, but not go into a brain cramp. All I have ever been able to get from all I have read is this all centers around ECM's and software in them. Granted, these vehicles are becoming more like rolling computers, but there is a lot about them that has nothing to do with having to go in to the ECM or data bus in any way. I am not even convinced that folks will not be able to still plug into the OBD port and read a code.

As much as I love/hate working on cars, sometimes I wish I didn't know how! At least nowadays they are making some good cars that make so much power, I wouldn't want to mess that up anyway. As long as they make them reliable,there is not much to do. 07 Camry hybrid 180kmi, the brake pads are only half worn.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I look forward to future when the EPA looses control of the economy.

I am not a fan of government but thank the EPA that you can actually see blue sky once in a while. Its not too hard to figure out that India and China have no effective clean air laws. I know its a reach to say that when we have no clue on how the people of China and India must feel. But if we were there many of us might feel a bit different about the EPA.

Also the proposal that is being discussed has about as much chance of passing as my cup os ice tea has of typing on the keyboard its sitting next to.

Exactly!

Well, it may be a long shot that this kind of thing would make it into law, but once they get on to an idea, it really takes a lot to shake it. I have found over my life, that once they get an idea in their head, it is only a matter of time before some form of it makes it thru. It was not all that long ago, that in commercial trucking it was proclaimed the same way, that no way it would ever happen, But this year alone, electronic logs for all commercial vehicles, vehicle speed limiters, and several other ideas that had a long shot a few years ago are going to reach final comment stage and put on the books by fall.

I have to agree, having lived thru the 60's and 70's and clearly remembering the air pollution, the Cuyahoga river catching on fire from the pollution, etc that the EPA, initially and under its original mandate, was a good thing. But as with all gooberment agencies, they find ways to increase and justify their reach and budgets to where they become more of a nuisance than a benefit, and sometimes down right tyrannical. The EPA has overstepped what it was designed to do. What started out as good intentions has morphed into a monster that must be fed.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
But doesn't all of this primarily center around software and electronics in the vehicles that they are wanting to fuss over? I am not so sure that replacing your brakes, doing your own lube services, and the kind of stuff that most home repair is will be affected much. For one, there just isn't enough dealer shop space and personnel to start some sort of every repair has to be done by them thing. Joe's tire, Bill's auto body, Ted's muffler and brake, etc will most likely not be hurt by any of what the OEM's are seeking to do. Nor will owners no longer be able to make the vast majority of repairs they do now. One has to keep in mind, the vast majority of DIY repair people only do minor stuff and lube changes. Very few owners even have an interest in opening up a motor. Many are uneasy about just cleaning a throttle body.

Brake Changeout - not much longer if they put the wear sensors on the pads that tell the BCM they are worn out. Then, the BCM has to be reset by the "factory" trained techs because it's a major safety item. Not much different from the TPMS on some cars now. You can't rotate your tires without the TPMS having a fit and the system having to be reset. Or what a lot of truck owners are going through right now with the "safety" power derate when they spin there tires. Nevermind that it is because of the snow/ice/etc. RAM dictates that the power be cut and several guys have had wrecks because of the derate. Some also can't get their 4-Wheel drive to pull them out of a small incline because the power derates and they become "stuck" - when in reality, they should be able to easily power out of the situation.

It's coming and if you don't stand up for your rights, they will be taken away. Like someone posted earlier, get rid of the lawyers first. Believe it or not, lawyers do protect us from stuff like this by suing on our behalf......

I can turn off tC on my 2015 2500HD. I have never had the ECM derate on me. But then, I outgrew the "getting a wheel" phase a lot time ago. I am not interested in spinning tires. And when empty, I run tire pressures that are below the TPMS alert setting with no issues and no hassles from the pickup electronics, even during regular off road use on my property. TPMS wants 60 psi up front and 70 psi in the rear. That assumes I have a serious snow plow up front while towing a 12,000 lb 5th wheel trailer. Those are the recommended pressures at GCVR, and the OEM set the alerts on the TPMS for that. When empty and normal driving, I run 50 psi all the way around. Nary a problem from the ECM. it flags on the DIC, but I just dismiss that screen and go on. Maybe all of this is not an issue because it is a 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton. I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back