09 Camry 90K ATF drain and fill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if there's a drain plug, simply drain it from down below (with oil pan of course), and then @ the ATF dipstick (you'll need a narrower long neck funnel), simply top it up to approx. low range/level.

Start the engine and then check the fluid (when trannie cold) to see if the fluid gets up to the cold range. Top it up and then drive.

After a few day's time, drain again, and repeat the same process.

As to how many times you need to do a drain and fill, it's hard to say. I've done my wifey's 04 camry first 2 rounds with Castrol import ATF (ATF-3309 spec'ed) and then 4 more times with PCan DuraDrive ATF (full syn BTW).

It's been over 100k now and no more drain-n-fill afterwards (now @ 210k odo).

Q

Originally Posted By: Quest
if there's a drain plug, simply drain it from down below (with oil pan of course), and then @ the ATF dipstick (you'll need a narrower long neck funnel), simply top it up to approx. low range/level.

Start the engine and then check the fluid (when trannie cold) to see if the fluid gets up to the cold range. Top it up and then drive.

After a few day's time, drain again, and repeat the same process.

As to how many times you need to do a drain and fill, it's hard to say. I've done my wifey's 04 camry first 2 rounds with Castrol import ATF (ATF-3309 spec'ed) and then 4 more times with PCan DuraDrive ATF (full syn BTW).

It's been over 100k now and no more drain-n-fill afterwards (now @ 210k odo).

Q

Castrol Import ATF is good stuff. I acquired the Sonata in my sig about a month ago and it had an unknown ATF service history and a little sluggishness with the [censored]. After draining, I found the fluid to be rather dark. I did a couple of drain and fills using the Castrol Import and it shifts smooooooth now! Use with confidence.

Yes, use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle(IMV) ATF with confidence! I use it OR HAVE used it in the cars in my signature! Any brand ATF "MAY" make any tranny feel different(shift point) at first but, I believe it changes quickly over time.

Many folks have noticed, just nice smooth shifting(or a good shift feel has returned). I also noticed this with the IMV!

As the matter of fact(ATMOF), I currently have in my vehicles in this order:

'80- Mobil 1 DEX III/MERCON w/IMV topoffs
'01- Castrol IMV w/ T-IV prior
'04- MaxLife w/IMV prior
'06- Castrol IMV...4 D&F's and another coming up

Last edited:
Here's a thorough guide to an easy cooler-line atf change for that car:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...flush-pics.html

If you have a V6 it might be slightly different as it might not have a dipstick; in that case you fill via gravity feed via a length of tubing into the fill hole on the tranny itself.

Doing a fluid change this way is more effective than multiple drain/fills where you are throwing away progressively more and more new fluid each time.

Castrol IMV is good. Also consider Valvoline MaxLife in lieu of Toyota T-IV or WS; an excellent and cheap (at Walmart in gallon jugs) full synthetic fluid much better than the OE fluid(s). I (and many, many people) have used it and also Mag1 synthetic in a number of Toyota and Lexus cars with great success.

Last edited:
Yes, you're lucky enough to have a drain plug
smile.gif

The plug is probably a 10mm allen key bolt.

Maxlife ATF has the best combination of price, performance, and availability. Other good ATF's are Peak Synthetic ATF and Mag 1 Low-Vis ATF. The Mag 1 is $24 for a case of 6 on Amazon.

Castrol IMV is good, and now they also offer a full synthetic ATF. But Maxlife is just as good if not better, cheaper, and easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back