Close to getting a GLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be for my wife. I'd get the 4Matic AWD, the sport package and the bi-xenon headlamps and LED taillights. We both like the vehicle in Jupiter Red. Anyone here got a GLA?

A friend has one, it's pretty nice! I like the slightly higher ride height, and it has a lot of cargo capacity with the rear seat down. I think it's a very practical vehicle.

Interesting choice but the similar to me CrossTrek in terms of form is selling quite well and appeals to many in middle aged crowd.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Interesting choice but the similar to me CrossTrek in terms of form is selling quite well and appeals to many in middle aged crowd.

I already have a BRZ and don't want a second Subaru. And why would I want a car that's popular with the middle aged crowd?

Originally Posted By: BRZED

I already have a BRZ and don't want a second Subaru. And why would I want a car that's popular with the middle aged crowd?

LOL I hear the rascal scooters and jitterbug phones are popular with them too.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
A friend has one, it's pretty nice! I like the slightly higher ride height, and it has a lot of cargo capacity with the rear seat down. I think it's a very practical vehicle.

Direct competitors are the BMW X1, the Audi O3 and the Mazda CX-3. The Bimmer is long in the tooth, I don't care for the looks of the Audi and the Mazda 3 isn't here yet. The Benz should have the best resale value.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

LOL I hear the rascal scooters and jitterbug phones are popular with them too.

I'm going to get my early bird dinner in youthful style! I hope to drive a Bentley when I'm middle aged.

I think the GLA is cheaper than the CLA, here's the rant about the CLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkJmE1NwDc

Also consider getting a few more options, keyless go is pretty nice, same with parktronic, driver assistance package which is distronic, blind spot assist and lane keeping assist. But if you pick all the good options, you can end up adding about 20k

I hope you guys are having fun chosing a car that I like and spending my money?

I hope you guys are having fun chosing a car that I like and spending my money?

This is what happens when someone posts a "I'm thinking about getting a [x]" thread in the Vehicles subforum. Some of them go on for pages and pages, and some seem to die quickly after just a few posts. We're all here to share ideas and opinions, and folks are doing just that in this thread. Consider it a compliment that so many have taken the time to post in your thread.

welcome2.gif

Direct competitors are the BMW X1, the Audi O3 and the Mazda CX-3. The Bimmer is long in the tooth, I don't care for the looks of the Audi and the Mazda 3 isn't here yet. The Benz should have the best resale value.

Sounds like you've done your homework already. I was going to suggest looking at the Q3, but after I compared the specs, the GLA appears to offer more room, more torque, and better mpg. Looks are of course very subjective. I'd expect the resale value to be comparable to the BMW and Audi.

One other vehicle to look at would be the GTI, alas no AWD, unless you wait for the R version. In any case, proper winter tires will do more for you than any kind of AWD system. The interior in the GLA is also a bit more upscale than the GTI, although I am personally not a fan of the iPad-looking nav unit in the GLA. It looks out of place and as an afterthought. Same thing with the new C-class.

I was not suggesting to buy a Subaru just comparing it as an inexpensive version of the GLA that is all in form. I don't really get the CrossTrek/GLA etc as I think they are very odd but folks are buying them especially the middle aged crowd in my locale.

What do I know
smile.gif
I own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon manual that only 1000 or so produced and they killed the high performance model in 2006!

I am not a person to recommend a vehicle to anyone unless they specifically ask.

Even though GL is supposed to smaller than ML, from the outside at least GL seems to be equivalent sized. I actually like looks of GL better over ML.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Even though GL is supposed to smaller than ML, from the outside at least GL seems to be equivalent sized. I actually like looks of GL better over ML.

I think you've got some of the models mixed up here. From the size perspective, it goes like this, from largest to smallest:

GL > M > GLK > GLA

Compared to ML, the GLA (which is the subject of this thread) has about 8.5" shorter wheelbase, 11" less height, 15" less length, and about 1,500 lbs less weight. It looks substantially smaller than ML, as it should. The GLA is also FWD-based.

I was not suggesting to buy a Subaru just comparing it as an inexpensive version of the GLA that is all in form. I don't really get the CrossTrek/GLA etc as I think they are very odd but folks are buying them especially the middle aged crowd in my locale.

What do I know
smile.gif
I own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon manual that only 1000 or so produced and they killed the high performance model in 2006!

I am not a person to recommend a vehicle to anyone unless they specifically ask.

I never asked for a vehicle recommendation. I stated I was close to buying a GLA, because that's the car I already had decided on. Just wanted to hear from owners, which is why I asked if anyone had a GLA. So far everyone but any GLA owner has replied. That's okay, I'm just pointing out the to me obvious.

The GLA hasn't been out long and it isn't a high volume vehicle, so the chances of anyone here owning one are slim. You'd be better off finding a GLA specific forum if you want to hear from actual owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back