throttle linkage on a little kids go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a fixer upper go kart for my son. I've rebuilt the carburetor and finally she's runs good i still have to wire up a kill switch . The switch is there just need to hook the wire up and I need to get a centrifugal clutch for it. My question is this what's the best way to hook up the throttle cable? I may need to provide pictures but is a 5hp flat head horizontal shafts Briggs and stratton. The cable is ran all the way to to back of the kart but the previous owner just looped the throttle cable over the little metal rod that comes down from the carburetor. Needless to say this does not work. Is there a way to run the cable all the way to the carburetor itself without using any of the old rod style linkages? All advice is appreciated. This whole thing is a first for me so I'm learning a lot and having some fun. I probably Overpaid a little . I currently have 125 dollars in it and probably have 50 or so more before it runs and drives right but it's fun to mess with so it was worth it.

idzsp3.jpg

IMG]
1fuwpi.jpg

zj8gty.jpg

it looks kind of rough but we are in the beginning stages. I figured if he take a liking to it and really enjoys it long term then I'll invest more in a nicer one maybe a pair one for me one for him
smile.gif

In the last pic it looks like a rod goes down to a governor. I'd try to keep that setup so it doesn't over-rev.

32.gif
Isn't your kid, like, 4 years old?

That rod runs down and they have the throttle linkage hooked to it

Briggs website has parts diagrams and etc. I would start there. Set it up like their diagram shows to, then add a spring return. A order of awesome sauce with a side of fries.
Air filtration is a biggie in this operation.

-harvey

I had one like that when I was a kid. I tied a piece or twine/rope to the throttle and pulled it over my shoulder. Laugh but it worked well. All that needs to move is that top piece. The rod is the governor as one other member said you dont mess with that. I am sure you could buy a cable and run it to a foot pedal, unless your handy with a welder, your going to need to make brackets. The rope works. Hey, at 10 years old, your working with a small budget.

I had one like that when I was a kid. I tied a piece or twine/rope to the throttle and pulled it over my shoulder. Laugh but it worked well. All that needs to move is that top piece. The rod is the governor as one other member said you dont mess with that. I am sure you could buy a cable and run it to a foot pedal, unless your handy with a welder, your going to need to make brackets. The rope works. Hey, at 10 years old, your working with a small budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back