Best oil for AR15 lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AMC
Almost any lubricant that can provide some friction reduction and handle the high heat and pressure that the ar-15 BCG takes will work.

I agree with the others that say motor oil is a marginal gun lube. If you are going to use a motor oil, I prefer a thicker, heavier oil that stays in place. 15w-40 or 20w-50 HDEO is preferred for thickness and better additive package compared to a normal automotive oil.

My favorite lube is corrosionX. It clings well, reduces friction, lasts a long time, is an excellent rust preventer and can be used to clean. It is basically non toxic, has a very mild odor and is cheaper than a lot of gun specific lubricants out there. I highly recommend corrosionX!

I found Corrosion X on Amazon for $20 for 16 fluid oz shipped, making it $152 a gallon.

Royco 308 (thin, light, creepy oil made for guns) is about $45 a gallon shipped from here:

http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-308-1gl-royco-308ca-preservative-oil-gal.htm

BSW

I've been running a very comprehensive lube test on a fleet of AR-15's for the past couple years. I tried Mobil 1 a few years ago but went back to gun specific lubes.

Best gun lubes I have found so far for use on AR-15 rifles is Weapon Shield, Breakfree LP (not CLP), G96 synthetic CLP, Slip 2000 EWL, and M Pro-7 gun oil.

I guarantee if you pick any of these 5 lubes, they will give you great service.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
Best lubricants for the AR-15 are products that have been tested and passed the relevant MIL-PRF specifications. Break-Free CLP and SLIP 2000 Gun Lube.

Breakfree CLP and Slip 2000 have not passed any current military lube specifications last I checked. Breakfree hasn't been approved for years. Slip 2000 was being tested on a limited basis.

There is only ONE commercially available lube on the market available to the general public that has passed the latest military specifications (MIL-PRF-63460E). It is G96 synthetic gun oil, and it is good stuff.

51H8xIdICCL._SY355_.jpg

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins

I found Corrosion X on Amazon for $20 for 16 fluid oz shipped, making it $152 a gallon.

Royco 308 (thin, light, creepy oil made for guns) is about $45 a gallon shipped from here:

BSW

CorrosionX is about $99 for a gallon with free shipping:
http://www.greatlakescorrosion.com/store/product.php?productid=17684&cat=245&page=1

Thin, light and creepy is really not what you want in a gun oil for any gun, especially the ar-15. Any gun that shoots a burst of hot, high pressure gas into the upper receiver and bolt area needs a thick lube that stays in place and handles heat well.

I am very confident corrosionX is a better corrosion preventer and lubricant than anything from royco anyways.

The Royco 308 sure is cheap though, credit where its due! The nearest gun oil I can find close to anything in that price range is a gallon of breakfree CLP for $65 plus shipping from natchez ss.

Originally Posted By: AMC

BSW

CorrosionX is about $99 for a gallon with free shipping:
http://www.greatlakescorrosion.com/store/product.php?productid=17684&cat=245&page=1

Thin, light and creepy is really not what you want in a gun oil for any gun, especially the ar-15. Any gun that shoots a burst of hot, high pressure gas into the upper receiver and bolt area needs a thick lube that stays in place and handles heat well.

I am very confident corrosionX is a better corrosion preventer and lubricant than anything from royco anyways.

The Royco 308 sure is cheap though, credit where its due! The nearest gun oil I can find close to anything in that price range is a gallon of breakfree CLP for $65 plus shipping from natchez ss.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that. A creepy oil draws into and between parts that aren't or can't be disassembled, providing lubrication for moving parts and rust protection for stationary parts.

For example, you probably don't strip the trigger/sear/hammer/striker of your firearms every time they are cleaned. Those parts still need the lubrication and rust protection which is provided by an oil that creeps in between the parts.

As far as drying out goes, the Royco oil uses calcium dinonylnaphthalene sulfonate as a EP additive that remains behind after the oil itself has burned off. I do believe in 'wetter is better' when it comes to firearms. One of the nice things about a thiner, creepy oil is I may be able to relube a rifle or shotgun without having to disassemble it.

BSW

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that. A creepy oil draws into and between parts that aren't or can't be disassembled, providing lubrication for moving parts and rust protection for stationary parts.

Creepy, thin oil? On an AR-15? I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

For anything over 40 degrees F, you want a high viscosity, thick lube. Use remoil or some other super thin oil on an AR-15 and you will be without lube in 50 rounds.

I've been using FrogLube for a while. I really like it in the summer, but absolutely hate it in the winter. It turns into a sticky paste when cold. It gets so thick that the BCG is hard to move in the upper receiver. I've been switching back to Hoppes oil lately in all my guns.

Originally Posted By: JaFlo
I've been using FrogLube for a while. I really like it in the summer, but absolutely hate it in the winter. It turns into a sticky paste when cold.

Do yourself a favor and DITCH FrogLube. The stuff is a joke, a complete waste of money, and it sucks to boot. The owner is a fraud for selling such garbage.

Believe me, I am. It honestly is a good cleaner, but I think it kind of sucks as a lubricant. Way over priced as well.

Back in the 70's at basic and advanced training in the Army they would tell us dry or light coat of the gun lube they gave us for our M16's (fully auto AR15's). Problem was sometimes we would go to the range and they had told us dry the last time we had put away the M16's so the next time we shot the M16's with no lube at all.

We had very oily bug repellant so I used that for gun lube once and it worked. So did the dry though.

Pretty much anything is better than totally dry. Motor oil, ATF, tanning oil...

I frequently help out at a rifle orientation where the most common weapons are ARs. It pretty normal for there to be one guy whose rifle will not cycle completely. Oiling them fixes that.

BSW

I've been using Mobil 1, (I live in the desert and use 20W-50), for many years now. It works better and stays put longer than all of these overpriced gun oils. A quart will last you close to a lifetime.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Back in the 70's at basic and advanced training in the Army they would tell us dry or light coat of the gun lube they gave us for our M16's (fully auto AR15's). Problem was sometimes we would go to the range and they had told us dry the last time we had put away the M16's so the next time we shot the M16's with no lube at all.

Times have changed. It has been proven over 10 years in Iraq/Afghanistan that the AR platform guns run much better dripping wet in oil.

If it's going to be used within the next few months I will use motor oil(M1 in a syringe). For long term storage I prefer grease. It's been my experience that motor oil is at least as good as any "gun lube" I've ever tried if not better at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
I can see constant battle between oil and grease on M16 platform here...

Did anyone try to take compromise...and use Lithium EP NLGI 00 grease instead?

NLGI 00 is fluid grease...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I can see constant battle between oil and grease on M16 platform here...

Did anyone try to take compromise...and use Lithium EP NLGI 00 grease instead?

NLGI 00 is fluid grease...

That is a pretty good idea.

I have always recommended that you use grease and oil in tandem, which would do nearly the same thing as using a very fluid grease.

I use grease on the bolt lugs, cam pin, and on the carrier contact points. After I get to the range I use oil. The combination keeps everything well lubricated. I've found the wetter you run an AR platform rifle, the better. It will also clean up far easier because carbon and crud don't stick. They wash right off.

Also remember the AR-15 is a direct impingement gas operated weapon. A lot of lube gets blown out the ejection port on every shot. That's why it's almost impossible to over lubricate one.

Quote:
Breakfree CLP and Slip 2000 have not passed any current military lube specifications last I checked. Breakfree hasn't been approved for years. Slip 2000 was being tested on a limited basis.

I checked research conducted in the last few years along with a paper conducted fairly recently that broached the topic in relation to the new RBC specification being developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back