motor oil and trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am a new member, I have been all over the Toyota Camry forums, and I get different answers to these ?, I have a Toyota Camry LE 2006, I am needing to change the motor oil and the trans fluid, I just bought this car so I am told 5w-20, and another says something like 0-20, What would you recommend? This car has 138,000 miles and is an automatic. I hope to her from you soon, Thank you and have a good one!

5w-20 and 0w-20 are basically the same. At operating temperatures they're both 20 weight oils. The 5w vs 0w is just how thick the oil gets in cold temperatures, the 0w won't get as thick as the 5w (or at least it gets as thick at a lower temperature). 0w are almost all synthetics, though there are some synthetic blends.

You can use either one really, especially now that the weather is getting warmer, you don't need to worry about the cold flow performance as much. So if Toyota called for a Xw-20 then you can use either one.

Check out the oli university articles on the front page of the site for more info about motor oil.

0w-20 or 5w-20 of your favorite brand that meets manufacturer specs should get the job done. I would probably lean towards 0w-20. I'm not familiar with that transmission, but a lot seem to be fans of Valvoline MaxLife. It's worked well for me. I would doublecheck to see if it meets the specs of your transmission though.

Is this the 2az-fe 4 cylinder? If so, they were originally calling for 5w-30 but later went to 0w-20. Either would be fine. My friend has an '02 Camry that was back specified for 0w-20 but he is still using 5w-30 in it nearing a quarter of a million miles. Regarding transmission fluid, I've used both Toyota fluid and Amsoil fluid and liked both.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Put in Quaker state Defy 5w-30, and call it a day

I like this answer best. In a car that originally spec'd 5w30 I would probably stick with that. You could use a Pennzoil Synthetic if you are in to using synthetic, because the Pennzoil synthetics are on the thin side of a 30 weight. Then again if the manufacturer did indeed back speck it, no harm should come. So just pick whatever name brand 0w20/5w20/or 5w30 you find on sale. As far as the ATF, I would stick with Toyotas OEM fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back