2013 Golf R - Motul Specific 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been meaning to post the first two UOAs from my '13 Golf R. The first ones details are, as far as I know, correct. The seond one is definitely correct. This car is set up with an APR Stage III kit with runner flaps deleted and an additional low pressure fuel system upgrade. This setup is supposed to be good for ~450hp at the crank.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 4555 6348

MI/HR on Unit 15145 10590

Sample Date 03/29/15 11/24/14

Make Up Oil Added 0qt 0qt

ALUMINUM 5 4

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 50 52

COPPER 4 8

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 5 26

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 2 2

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 1

BORON 38 47

SILICON 6 11

SODIUM 4 4

CALCIUM 1727 2550

MAGNESIUM 17 23

PHOSPHORUS 663 845

ZINC 802 988

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210° 57.8 60.5

cSt Viscosity @ 100° 9.58 10.36

Flashpoint in °F 340 325

Fuel % 1.8 2.5

Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0 0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.3

TBN 3.4

Blackstone comments on first interval:
Universal averages show typical wear metals for the 2.0L turbo FSI engine after ~5,900 miles of oil use. This oil saw 6,348 miles of use, and metals are okay. Maybe the slightly high iron is just due to the big turbo, or maybe it's from the usage this engine sees. At least some of it is related to the longer-than-average oil run and some might be lingering wear-in. Note that the viscosity was low for a 5W/30, and fuel was calculated at a possible problematic 2.5%, based on the updated oil brand/viscosity information.

Blackstone comments on second interval:
We made a few changes to your previous report, given the information you provided here. With the oil brand/viscosity identified, we had to recalculate fuel, so it measured 2.5%. But not to worry -- fuel dilution improved here to just 1.8%, so it doesn't look like you have any ongoing fuel system problems to worry about. Iron is a little worse than last time when you look at it on a ppm/mile basis. That's worth watching as trends keep building. Aside from that, though, this report is pretty good. The TBN is strong at 3.4. Try this oil use interval again next time.

This car is running Motul X-Max 0w40 now. Hopefully it'll stay in grade a bit better. Seeing that last interval sheer down to nearly a 20wt is a bit scary.

--Matt

Last edited:
Seeing that much shearing in an engine with a lot of power upgrades, I'd want to move up to a 50-weight.

You've already probably gone 'outside' the warranty with the upgrades, so I'd go up to a 5W-50. The new Amsoil 5W-50 would probably be a good one to try....

The only thing i like here is the TBN. That much shearing is cause for concern with that tuned engine. Maybe Eneos 5W-50 or another brand of the same viscosity.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, definitely my own warranty at this point unfortunately. I don't know about 50wt yet, but we'll see how it goes. The specific 505.01 stuff used in these intervals is just a group III, so I'm hoping the mostly group V X-Max product will be better. Next jump from there, should things not look so hot, will probably be either RLI 5w40 or RedLine 0w40. If it comes to it, maybe RedLine 5w40 past that point (which is a pretty heavy 40wt). We'll see how it goes, but I definitely wouldn't follow their advice on running that same oil the same number of miles either way :p

--Matt

Last edited:
That may well be. It was friggin cold this winter (-27 one day and below 0 quite a few days) so I'd expect that warm ups were probably pretty harsh. This car sees a 30 mile commute in the morning and 8 mile commute in the evening, so some of the miles were short trips too.

--Matt

This is also an FSI engine, not a TSI like the other newer 2.0T cars, so it is more prone to dilution issues.

--Matt

I think I'm going to stay the course and try other oils intended for euro engines first, but it isn't off the table. That formulation that RLI made for the FSI RS4 seems like a good fit here, and they're local to me so I'd like to support them if it works well.

--Matt

You'll be plenty fine with Rotella T6. I've been using it awhile in my '13 VW GLI

I posted a recent UOA on here, take a look for yourself.

TSI UOAs and FSI UOAs are apples and oranges I'm afraid, and I'm assuming I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of double the HP your GLI does.

This is a relatively heavily tuned engine of a design known to be particularly hard on oils to begin with, and I don't really have any interest in sampling T6 in it at this point. I've used it in other past VWs, diesel and gas, but plan to head down the course I mentioned until I've found the right oil and/or the right interval.

--Matt

Last edited:
Just look at my post man. Sounds like you're being closed minded and limiting yourself. There is better oil out there.

my GLI is no where stock, its tuned and modified and larger turbo going in soon.

Originally Posted By: ntoxicator
Just look at my post man. Sounds like you're being closed minded and limiting yourself. There is better oil out there.

my GLI is no where stock, its tuned and modified and larger turbo going in soon.

I did see your post. Like I said, comparing FSI and TSI UOAs is like comparing apples and oranges. They are very different engines with very different wear patterns. It is also difficult to compare UOAs with such different engine mileages. I appreciate your input, but am not intending to use T6 in the near future.

If you're interested in seeing how much your UOA differs from FSI Golf R UOAs, including some with T6, there's a thread you can see at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5812687-The-Blackstone-oil-analysis-thread

There's also a pretty comprehensive FSI thread here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1396680

--Matt

Last edited:
Just got the next one back from my R:

Looking better with X-Max. I've got the same stuff in now.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back