4R70-W transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan on doing a transmission service on my 1997 Cougar later this week. What type/brand ATF do these old Ford's like? No problems with it and want to keep it that way. 115,000 miles on it.

Any Mercon V will do. I wouldnt use a Multi-Vehicle oil but any brand name Mercon V will work good. Should consider doing a j-mod and upgrading some of the valave body parts. I know the earlier transmissions had a aluminum 1-2 accumulator that wears and when it does it scores the bore in the transmission causing shifting problems. I would for sure replace that at minimum (you can R&R the 1-2 accumulator piston without dropping the valve body-not super difficult if you have a bottle jack and a decent pair of snap ring pliers.)
I can get ypu the part # on the updated piston and if you are interested in making changes to the valve body I can get you info on that as well.

Yeah, the aluminium 1-2 piston was used through '97. When the o-rings wear the piston wears the bore in the case causing 1-2 shift problems. The part # for the updated part is F7AZ-7F251-AA
I found it online for $14. Like I said it can be replaced with a bottle jack and a good pair of inner snap ring pliers. If you have a poor pair of snap ring pliers (like the ones AZ sells) it becomes a huge #!@&* though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back