Cordless saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with cordless saws? I have quite a bit of thick undergrowth and small trees to clear and I am looking at getting one. At the moment the one that has got my attention is the DeWalt Sawzall. Any comments are appreciated.

"I have quite a bit of thick undergrowth and small trees to clear and I am looking at getting one..."

You don't want to use a Sawzall type recipricating saw to cut small trees and especially underbrush because it will work you to death. The back and forth reciprocating motion will only cause the branches and limbs to shake and not sever without extreme effort. Take it from the voice of experience, you want to buy a small, inexpensive electric chain saw (e.g., Harbor Freight or Northern tools) or rent a small limbing gas chain saw from Home Depot for this type of work. Sawzalls are great for cutting through stationary objects like rafters and studs, but not through non-stationary objects.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
"I have quite a bit of thick undergrowth and small trees to clear and I am looking at getting one..."

You don't want to use a Sawzall type recipricating saw to cut small trees and especially underbrush because it will work you to death. The back and forth reciprocating motion will only cause the branches and limbs to shake and not sever without extreme effort. Take it from the voice of experience, you want to buy a small, inexpensive electric chain saw (e.g., harbor freight or Northern tools) or rent a small limbing gas chain saw from Home Depot for this type of work. Sawzalls are great for cutting through stationary objects like rafters and studs, but not through non-staionary objects.

Unless you're cutting limbs directly off the trunk, or small limbs coming directly off of huge limbs. Then it is fine.

I've got 5 sets of cordless gear. The only brand I've bought twice is Milwaukee. I work with my tools and can say honestly that only rigid and Milwaukee aren't disposable garbage.

And if presented with a choice id buy gasoline powered over battery every single day.

Cordless saw, free exercise:

241-24inch-Bow-Saw.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
grin.gif

I've got one of those. Inherited it from my dad. It's nearly as old as I am. Can go to the local hdwr store and buy a new blade. With the right blade, they work well.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Cordless saw, free exercise:

241-24inch-Bow-Saw.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
grin.gif

I still use one of those for pruning my trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back