Denso air filter after 86K, 15 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a 2000 Camry, 2.2L 4cyl. Original Denso filter.

Replaced with a Fram EG (no pics).

Tws4K9b.jpg

Was it periodically cleaned out, or was it untouched for 15 years?

I expected it to look a lot worse, which is why I assume it was at least periodically cleaned out.

Looks decent after 86k miles. This is clearly contradict the 1 year 12k miles change interval recommended by filter companies.

Many Japanese air filter use thick fuzzy type filter media.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Was it periodically cleaned out, or was it untouched for 15 years?

I expected it to look a lot worse, which is why I assume it was at least periodically cleaned out.

cleaned maybe once or twice with compressed air

They were mostly city miles. I think on the highway, you get more dust kicked up from the cars in front.

How do you know it is original or never replaced? I usually replace at 30k miles, so I guess it has 3 times the dirt. Looks about right, but I would expect it to be worse.

It's my sister's car. Only I work on it. Usually just do an oil change, once a year.

I needed a cabin filter for another car and saw there's a promotion for $4 off a Fram cabin filter + air filter, so I decided to change it.

I agree I've ignored it for too long.

Last edited:
You would have saved maybe 1-2mpg if you took the time to change it once every 6mths or yr.

I don't even let a lawnmower's air filter get that dirty. It just robs power and makes the engine suffer a bit more!

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
You would have saved maybe 1-2mpg if you took the time to change it once every 6mths or yr.

Only if she spent a significant amount of time above 70% throttle or so.
Otherwise the restriction is at the throttle body. The restriction at the air filter doesn't even matter as the vacuum behind the TB is inches of mercury vacuum and in front of it is perhaps 20 inches of water (though it would have to be really plugged to have that much restriction cruising.)

On the other hand, cleaning an air filter with compressed air can damage them pretty easily, and that damage is not always visible to the naked eye.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper

I don't even let a lawnmower's air filter get that dirty. It just robs power and makes the engine suffer a bit more!

Complete bull... You can't compare a carbed lawn mower to fuel injected car. There have been tons of testing done on this. The fuel management system will automatically adjust to keep the mixture correct. You wouldn't even notice the small amount of power loss with this filter.

Mine looks a lot like that after maybe 12k. Our road was recently paved, but the mid-west country air isn't helping any.

The P1 filters as well as the TG filters are good, but I feel they are just a marketing hype. What does the oil do? Shouldn't any decent paper filter do that exact same thing with or without the oil?

If you look at the air filter test data so often touted here then AC delco should be the only paper filter left standing.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

.....On the other hand, cleaning an air filter with compressed air can damage them pretty easily, and that damage is not always visible to the naked eye.....

Yup, my first boss liked to blow out the air filter every 20k miles on his trucks. The F/L I drove with a N14 had to have a in-frame at 230k miles. They told him his air cleaners were not stopping much with all the tiny holes his air nozzle put into the filter. NEVER UES AIR TO CLEAN A AIR FILTER.

ROD

I've seen people on ecomodder.com prove that a dirty filter gets better mpg than a clean one, its a very small amount (I still don't buy it) but I hate how people think a hot air intake and a dirty air filter will somehow cause you to lose power. I dynoed countless cars with k&n drop in filters vs dirty stock filters that show no increase, as well as a dirty filter vs no air filter vs clean filter... no change in hp.

If you think your air filter is dirty put a filter gauge on the intake pipe, 70% of "dirty" air filters are still flowing perfectly. My car requires a new filter every 30K, I will be buying one and noting it in my cars service history as done just for warranty purposes, I hope to get more than 30-50k miles from a quality filter.

For the seven bucks I'll replace all my filters once a year.

I'm also the kind of guy who replaces the fiberglass filters in my HVAC equipment once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back