crab grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see we have talking about grass lately,
I have crab grass taking over my yard and now they are growing in the flower beds.

how do I get rid of the crab grass?

it's too early/too cool for crab grass in Michigan. it's likely "quack grass" -- very similar to crabgrass.
borax powder in water, in a sprayer kills weeds,even creeping Charlie, but not grass. google it for mixing info. not sure if it kills quack grass, but google that, as well.
good luck.

Most effective and cheapest - Pull it out by hand.
I've noticed the root system is shallow.

I have heard that it's an Annual Grass, dying each Winter.
It's the Seeds that survive.
May or may not be true.

When I pull it in the Fall, I'm very careful of not loosing any seeds.
When pulling in the Fall, look for purplish colored stems.
And Crab Grass does have a lot of seeds.

A good thick lawn helps against crab grass taking hold.
It needs sun-light.
Also, in the Summer, I cut my grass to a taller height (about 3").

Good luck.

If it's quack grass, it's a perennial. Spreads by seeding and by rhizomes. It's very aggressive. Roundup will kill it and every thing around it. Not much else will hurt it. Makes excellent cattle feed, has lots of sugar and minerals. There is another post about it with pics. For your flower beads, it's best to just dig and pull the roots.

Every year I put down the pre-emergent stuff, crab grass preventer its called, that is supposed to prevent it from germinating. I put it down in late Feb or early March, soil needs to be below 55 F still. But every July I still get a little bit of the stuff, mainly where the yard edges to the sidewalks. Annoying.

After trying for several years to keep up with the appropriate chemical applications I gave up and now get it done on a schedule from a locally owned lawn service. They visit six times per year and use the right stuff in the right quantities (minimizes chemical runoff). Ever since starting that I have pretty much zero weeds and the grass does well with minimal water usage. Since it can be quite warm here, even in winter, just about all my neighbors end up having to mow their weeds year round. My Bermuda lawn stays nicely dormant during the cooler months. I haven't had to pull weeds in ten years.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
After trying for several years to keep up with the appropriate chemical applications I gave up and now get it done on a schedule from a locally owned lawn service. They visit six times per year and use the right stuff in the right quantities (minimizes chemical runoff). Ever since starting that I have pretty much zero weeds and the grass does well with minimal water usage. Since it can be quite warm here, even in winter, just about all my neighbors end up having to mow their weeds year round. My Bermuda lawn stays nicely dormant during the cooler months. I haven't had to pull weeds in ten years.

PS - digging weeds is life. Joking aside your lawn service is probably using herbicide(selective) not for sale at Home Depot especially a pre-emergent application. Need to be licence to purchase it not available for home owners.

A good way to prevent it is to mow high. My mower deck is set at it's highest setting and it's almost 4 inches. A think tall lawn is a difficult place for seeds to germinate.

Originally Posted By: whip
A good way to prevent it is to mow high. My mower deck is set at it's highest setting and it's almost 4 inches. A think tall lawn is a difficult place for seeds to germinate.

90% of the population uses a push mower. What push mower can be set at almost 4 inches?

Last edited:
My mower is electric (with cord) and can be set pretty close to 4". I have found that a tall Bermuda lawn in my area retains moisture better which results in a tighter weave of the grass runners - for those familiar with this type of grass.

Also, regarding the earlier comment about the lawn service, I agree 100%. I'm sure they have chemicals not available to me from a store. The weed control is spray applied and the fertilizer is granular. They use different fertilizers at different seasons. My soil is almost pure clay and needs modification to grow almost anything. I used to struggle with getting the RIGHT pre-emergents. Some are for grasses and others are for broadleaf weeds. I was never able to find a good combination product and your time window for application is relatively short.

My yard is small so the service comes to about $240/year. It is well worth it just for my labor savings alone.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: whip

90% of the population uses a push mower. What push mower can be set at almost 4 inches?

Toro Super Recycler. Great mower.

mine is perennial, so it might be quack grass,
quack, crab, $%^&&& it is pain in the rear.

can pull them out, they are everywhere.
mine is already growing in my yard and the root grew into the flower beds cuz of poor edging.

ALWAYS put on Crabgrass Preventer when Lilacs start to bloom.
You will not have a problem.

Here we have johnson grass. It spreads with runners and vegetative propagation. Once you have it, it's hard to get rid of it. It's big and can grow to look like wheat plants. My lawn guy has some chemical for it, but it's an extra cost service. I just have to be vigilant about the areas where my yard touches my neighbors'. Everyone has it except me. I do have to occasionally pull one here or there. If you mow it down, some of the clippings that hit the dirt can grow as new plants. That's another good reason to keep the grass cut high.

So, I guess I inadvertently lied about "never" having to pull weeds. Sometimes, I even have to pull them from my neighbors' yards if they get to the property lines.

my neighbors have Bermuda grass. During the summer you can see it send the runners out. What I do is nuke the fence line. It keeps it a bay.

It is funny how Bermuda is a weed in some areas, but the primary turf grass in mine.

Originally Posted By: Turk
ALWAYS put on Crabgrass Preventer when Lilacs start to bloom.
You will not have a problem.

That's a regional thing. That would be too late here.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It is funny how Bermuda is a weed in some areas, but the primary turf grass in mine.

yes, I admire the tenacity of it! It is just so invasive and would be brown most of the year here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back