2011 GMC Acadia Sudden Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 GMC Acadia AWD with 79,200 mi. Purchased used with about 13,500 mi. Checked oil level this morning, first time checking in about 600-700 miles with a good mix of probably 70/30 percent highway to city driving in between. Oil registered on dipstick in the middle of add oil red zone, added about 1 quart of oil to get it towards the top of the "normal" zone. First time I have ever seen this much of a drop, have not added any oil since oil change and Oil Life Monitor (OLM) is at about 35% now. At most I will typically need to top off 1/2 quart between OCI and not always at that. No noticeable oil leaks in garage but have not gotten underneath with my creeper yet. I change my own oil typically when OLM gauge gets within 10% life and use AC Delco or Wix filters with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and have been doing so for the past 40k miles. I know 5W-30 is spec'd but this exceeds dexos1 requirements. Any ideas?

Dexos 1 is a standard that applies to different viscosities. Your vehicle is spec'd for a 5w-30 Dexos 1 oil; a 5w-20 Dexos 1 oil is not a substitute. It's like the "SN" standard applying to many viscosities.

Whether or not this has anything to do with your oil consumption issue is a good question, but I'd switch to 5w-30 and see if things improve.

All engines have a PCV valve. If it gets plugged it will pressurize the crank case and cause oil consumption

If you don't know what you're doing or aren't comfortable, take your car to a trusted mechanic. There's no shame in that

That should be the 3.6 V6 DI engine. It does have a PCV valve but it is on the back of the engine block and you almost have to pull the engine to change it. It is not the normal canister type but is bolted to the block.

I had 2011 Camaro 3.6 that started burning oil suddenly at about 12,000 miles. It would lose a quart every 3,000 miles. I just kept it topped off. Never found out the cause. Sold it at 40,000.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Dexos 1 is a standard that applies to different viscosities. Your vehicle is spec'd for a 5w-30 Dexos 1 oil; a 5w-20 Dexos 1 oil is not a substitute. It's like the "SN" standard applying to many viscosities.

Whether or not this has anything to do with your oil consumption issue is a good question, but I'd switch to 5w-30 and see if things improve.

+1,

What Danh said, 5W-20 is NOT a substitute for 5W-30.

Maybe GM is using the same brand/style/priced rings as Saturns used previously?

You have an engine WELL known for cam chain failures. It NEEDS 5W30. Just use what they say. There is a reason.

Expect the cam chain to go before 100K regardless of miles. It will throw a code. Take money. Large bills. Somewhere at GM there is a executive that needs fired with real fire for letting this go on so long. They did a cost reduction, made the chain too small and now refuse to admit defeat and go back.

Rod

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
All engines have a PCV valve.

Not True. Some engines do not have a PCV valve, but use a crankcase ventilation system with a fixed orifice oil/vapor separator.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Why on earth would you use 5w20 in a car that specs 5w30? No wonder it's burning oil.

Put 5w30 in, now.

He got 0.0001 mpg improvement. In theory...
crazy.gif

Check your intake tube. I bet it is full of oil as well. Our 11 Acadia's intake tube collects oil. Although our oil level never drops there is still about a table spoon full of oil in the intake tube at each oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back