Castrol 0W40 vs Castrol 0W30 (GC)-Equivalent ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 325it BMW and wonder if the Castrol 0W40 is as good (or better) for the car. The 0W40 is available in 5 quarts and the 0W30 is harder to find.

The two are pretty much equivalent from a performance perspective. Feel free to use the 0w-40 if it's more readily available and/or less expensive.

Castrol0W-30Belgium_zps9dd73683.jpg

Castrol0W-40German_zpse8b77110.jpg

This is from a thread started in November 2014

Note that the 0w-30 now has Titanium additive in it. They are very close otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The two are pretty much equivalent from a performance perspective. Feel free to use the 0w-40 if it's more readily available and/or less expensive.

Thank you ! Sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Note that the 0w-30 now has Titanium additive in it. They are very close otherwise.

Next time you ought to give credit to the person who did these VOAs. Notice too the person who did paid extra to have both 40cst and 100cst tests run.

That person would be me, SLO Town.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

Next time you ought to give credit to the person who did these VOAs. Notice too the person who did paid extra to have both 40cst and 100cst tests run.

Scott

SLO town- Thanks for posting such useful info!
Much appreciated. If you have a moment, I did ask you about the companion 0w20 test you also did in this thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...lac#Post3657872

Scott

I did mention it was from another thread and did not in any way try and take credit myself.

Next time I would put your name in bold letters and neon so you don't feel slighted.

Scott

I did mention it was from another thread and did not in any way try and take credit myself.

Next time I would put your name in bold letters and neon so you don't feel slighted.

In effect, you started another thread by posting my VOAs. You should have posted the link. That is far more helpful because it includes all the discussion when I originally posted the VOAs.

You were wrong partner. No need to put my name in neon.

Actually, I have one other VOA I was was going to upload today but your attitude gives me pause.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Okay, I though the 0W30 was the German Castrol and the 0W40 was the Belgium stuff.

Does Blackstone has the reversed?

No. Both can be made at either plant.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Okay, I though the 0W30 was the German Castrol and the 0W40 was the Belgium stuff.

Does Blackstone has the reversed?

Nope. Castrol switched production plants.

Hello Everyone,

Just for my information. When you speak about Castrol 0W-30 are you speaking about "Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30" which has the following specs:

ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
BMW LL 01
MB 229.3 MB 229.5
VW 502.00/505.00

This is the oil sold in Europe and I was just wondering if Castrol is selling another 0W-30 oil in US.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
When you speak about Castrol 0W-30 are you speaking about "Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30"

Most likely.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Hello Everyone,

Just for my information. When you speak about Castrol 0W-30 are you speaking about "Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-30" which has the following specs:

ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
BMW LL 01
MB 229.3 MB 229.5
VW 502.00/505.00

This is the oil sold in Europe and I was just wondering if Castrol is selling another 0W-30 oil in US.

Yes, that should be the one.

I believe its an old SL formula not sold in Germany any longer. The new German Edge is SM C3 LL-04.
I assume in CH they sell the German version?

Originally Posted By: KevinV
I have a 2002 325it BMW and wonder if the Castrol 0W40 is as good (or better) for the car. The 0W40 is available in 5 quarts and the 0W30 is harder to find.

Yes, the Castrol 0w-40 or Mobil1 0w-40 are the popular and good performing LL-01-class oils. Those oils are use in IndyCar racing straight, as is. Pennz 0w-40 too. They can't be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back