What type of grass is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately a broadleaf... crabgrass? it looks like the kind my Cat likes to eat out in the yard. she goes right past the fescue and bluegrass to just the broadleaf stuff.

Ortho weed b gone is for broad leaf weeds, not grass.

The pictures are not good enough to i.d. it. If it has clasping auricles, it is quack grass, a perennial that you can spot treat with glyphosate, then reseed.
SetWidth600-Quackgrass-clasping-auricles-Erin-Taylor.jpg

It also has a spreading rhizome type "root" system, if you can manage to dig some up.
Elytrigia-repens-seedling.jpg

Here's an i.d. key that might help: http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/goosegrass_50/
Goosegrass and the similar looking crabgrass are annuals that you can discourage from your lawn by keeping it healthy and tall. There are some selective post and pre-emergent herbicides that also work.

Or, don't get too picky and just enjoy the diversity.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Ortho weed b gone is for broad leaf weeds, not grass.

The pictures are not good enough to i.d. it. If it has clasping auricles, it is quack grass.
SetWidth600-Quackgrass-clasping-auricles-Erin-Taylor.jpg

It also has a spreading rhizome type "root" system, if you can manage to dig some up.
Elytrigia-repens-seedling.jpg

THANK YOU! I will go pluck a stalk and look and try and get a close up.
Sounds like Roundup is the only way to kill it.

Last edited:
^Thanks,
Finally saw it. It has been sprayed with Round Up.
Its a ugly grass is the fescue!

always something, lol. Soon nutsedge will be rearing its ugly face.
Sedge Hammer works awesome.

I call that crab grass, I planted some in the cemetery right above where my father in laws head should be
27.gif
Hope it doesn't grow over to my mother in law....
02.gif

I see you're from Missouri. It's rampant here in Kansas too:

K-31 Fescue.

The wide blades and light green appearance make it not desirable for lawns. It's the hardiest of the fescues but it is extremely clumpy and sticks out of a TTTF (turf-type tall fescue) lawn like a sore thumb. It's the cheapest seed out there which leads unsuspecting homeowners to buy it and overseed with it. Once it establishes, only Roundup will kill it.

My yard is scattered with it because the lady who owned our house before didn't know better. I'm slowly overseeding with TTTF each year to help choke it out. Every fall I spray clumps, wait for them to die, rake them up, and overseed. It's tedious but it pays off.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

+1. Never could figure out why Trimec or Ortho wouldn't kill nutsedge until the guys at Grass Pad filled me in.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

+1. Never could figure out why Trimec or Ortho wouldn't kill nutsedge until the guys at Grass Pad filled me in.

Trimec will tend to burn the leaf, it's more for broadleaf. Sledgehammer is a systemic is an excellent herbicide for nutsedge.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
I see you're from Missouri. It's rampant here in Kansas too:

K-31 Fescue.

The wide blades and light green appearance make it not desirable for lawns. It's the hardiest of the fescues but it is extremely clumpy and sticks out of a TTTF (turf-type tall fescue) lawn like a sore thumb. It's the cheapest seed out there which leads unsuspecting homeowners to buy it and overseed with it. Once it establishes, only Roundup will kill it.

My yard is scattered with it because the lady who owned our house before didn't know better. I'm slowly overseeding with TTTF each year to help choke it out. Every fall I spray clumps, wait for them to die, rake them up, and overseed. It's tedious but it pays off.

yeah, in the KC area. I nuked it last night, now I will have brown spots. Thats OK, reseeding in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back