Roofer issue (sorry long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to go with a metal roof. Chose a roofer who had served me well in the past. Settled on a price and the crew began work. Well I noticed it looked like they were not going to redo the flashing around the chimney but leave the old flashing (20 yr old)and rely on that. The problem as I saw it was this would allow water to spread out under the metal and eventually rot the wood strips they placed over the old shingles which they didn't remove and leak down over the wood under the metal fascia on the eves. So after talking to the guy he had the crew put some new flashing around the chimney but it isn't sealed to the chimney or the metal. After they put this in and gone for the day I went out and ran the water hose on this area and sure enough water flowed out from under the metal where I thought it would. I'm holding my mud for now because they haven't finished and I feel like a hostage because its raining now and the rest of the roof is tore up. Was I stupid to assume replace the roof meant the whole roof as in no water getting under the new roof?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: faltic
Contract says install metal roof over existing shingles.

I have never seen such a thing.
Why not a complete tear off, and start anew?

Every county has different building / codes / standards.
I too was also expecting tear off and redo.

How many square feet is your roof ?

It would be implied in the contract of a new roof that it be watertight. That includes new flashing or working with the existing flashing ,if sound ,to give you a watertight seal that keeps all water on top of new metal and none beneath. They need to make this right , and probably will, before you release the final payment.

Oh...

Never.assume.anything.

Get everything in writing, or at the very least, verbally. I'd try the soft sell approach here, the goal is to resolve a problem, not make it worse.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

How many square feet is your roof ?

I am paying for 35 square

That's a decent size. You're in the driver's seat regardless because you can hold back payment. I would just mention it to your guy when he comes back Monday however remember that the job is not finished. Lots caulking etc will need to be done.

Metal over shingles is pretty common here. A complete roof job doesn't include the manpower/ disposal cost of disposing of the old asphalt shingles, and helps cover the somewhat greater expense of metal.

It would have been nice for them to flash the chimney while it was on the (halfway done) edge of metal, as it's easier to walk on shingle than metal and footprints could dimple your new metal.

Ask for the little foam doohickeys at the drip edge to keep hornets etc from taking up shop in the gap between new roof and old.

I don't understand while they would not seal it. I just had a 50 year roof put on my place 12,000.00 bucks it included all new protrusions and flashing.
Did you show them what it was doing? If you hold back payment will they put a lien on your place?

Seems to me they would fix something so simple. Call everyday. They will get tired of hearing from you.

Picture? Wood, metal or masonary chimney? Flashing is a KEY detail and must not be overlooked. Further, the devil IS IN the DETAILS (particularly where water is concerned). Remember it's your roof, your house and your sheetrock ceiling below. Water flowing between an existing and new roof is never a good idea. Think about it. . . .

Originally Posted By: dernp
Lots caulking etc will need to be done.

"Caulk" is never used on a roof. Further it's no substitute for no/poor flashing. "Lots of caulk" is a sure sign of a poor (con) job.

Originally Posted By: stumpypete
It would be implied in the contract of a new roof that it be watertight. That includes new flashing or working with the existing flashing ,if sound ,to give you a watertight seal that keeps all water on top of new metal and none beneath. They need to make this right , and probably will, before you release the final payment.

IMPLIED MECRHANTABILITY

Yes, even if the contract does not specify every
minutiae, a replacement roof is expected to be water tight when installed new.

Do NOT pay one more cent until they do the job correctly and to your satisfaction. Be firm, but do not get angry and tell them what you want them to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. My plan right now is to let them "finish" the job then explain my position. I have already already ticked of the job foreman by pointing out a poor fit on one of the main panels that showed an obvious misfit on 4/5 of its length. that on top of complaining to the contractor about the chimney issue to began with. Just want some sort of roof done before going at them again. What do you all think small claims court or get a lawyer is they don't make it right? I wonder if they can put a lien on my house if I try an with hold payment. that bothers me so I'm thinking pay first with the stipulation I'm dissatisfied them go back at them after. Again all input has been helpful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Contract says install metal roof over existing shingles.

I have never seen such a thing.
Why not a complete tear off, and start anew?

Absolutely dumb idea.
I've done 100000 square foot of steel roof over the years. Mostly retrofit however I've done a couple new.
Anyway tearing off the old shingles is not only not cost effective it can open up a nightmare and I've seen jobs(not mine) where the customer asked for just such stupidity and ended up not being able to afford the fix and had tarps for 5 years as roof.
You strap over the old shingles screwing the strapping into trusses/rafters.
Metal valley over the old and bend custom flashing around and chimney or roof protrusions.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

"Caulk" is never used on a roof. Further it's no substitute for no/poor flashing. "Lots of caulk" is a sure sign of a poor (con) job.

There are many roofing sealant products and they are a must to seal flashing around chimney chases and are in no way a con job.
I bend my own flashing and will cut a notch in brick for a break I bend into the flashing then seal that with a roofing caulk type product.
It's foolish not too.
Building codes may be different all over however I've never seen any inspector on any roof,ever.
And different codes is meaningless. Shedding water is.
By the posts I've read here it's obvious no one is in any way experienced in the application of steel.

Home building is not a hobby. Hire a professional. My cards and clothing all carry these words.

To the original poster.
It's your money. Do not pay a single cent until you are satisfied. It's that simple. Call another,more expensive roofer to inspect this guys work before paying. A few hundred spent on inspection could save thousands in rot.

Thanks for the input guys. My plan right now is to let them "finish" the job then explain my position. I have already already ticked of the job foreman by pointing out a poor fit on one of the main panels that showed an obvious misfit on 4/5 of its length. that on top of complaining to the contractor about the chimney issue to began with. Just want some sort of roof done before going at them again. What do you all think small claims court or get a lawyer is they don't make it right? I wonder if they can put a lien on my house if I try an with hold payment. that bothers me so I'm thinking pay first with the stipulation I'm dissatisfied them go back at them after. Again all input has been helpful.

They can lien for non payment however if you claim shoddy workmanship and end up paying someone else to fix you can take the costs off their quote.
I've had to lien projects because customers ran out of money however I always come from a strong position because my workmanship is beyond question.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

There are many roofing sealant products and they are a must to seal flashing around chimney chases and are in no way a con job.
I bend my own flashing and will cut a notch in brick for a break I bend into the flashing then seal that with a roofing caulk type product.
It's foolish not too.

To be clear, "roofing sealants" and "caulk" are not the same thing and the later is no substitute for the former. Of course, roofing sealants are necessary in any quality job. I used them when I re-roofed my own house.

Yes, I've seen examples where white, acrylic, silicone "caulk" was used on a roof leak...gobs of it. That IS a con job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back