Comments on 2004 Mercedes S430 ~100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't mention you were in MA. We have a great used car lemon law in this state. A couple of my keyless go door handles didn't work and I made the dealer fix it under the 60 day lemon law. If he didn't, I was just going to buy the handle myself and DIY in about a half hour, about $175 online, $300 at the dealer, about $500 installed at the dealer. Basically anything that affects use and safety is covered, but not cosmetic issues. So if the trunk closer is broken, then they have to fix it. Had to take it to the general manager before they would agree to repair it, used car manager wouldn't pay for it.

As for C3/C4, it's really the Mux that's the expensive part. The software is out there, you can even find it on some torrent sites for free, but if you had to buy it, they have it on HDD for around $100. The key is that you sometimes need a little support to get it going the first time, something about running a key generator. They usually just remote into the laptop to fix it. That's why buying from a US board member that offers some support might be worth it as you might get some advice on how to actually use the system if you get stuck.

Here's the deal IMO... Some cars are just stupid expensive, and while Im a proponent of buying new, that sort of car just isnt a good value new.

Im looking at something similar - a 2005 CL600. Why? Because at 25k for a spotless one with 35k miles, it just intrigues me as a fun car to drive at least for a little while.

To me its all about if there are known bad spots, if you have any comfort level to try any DIY repairs on the things anticipated to go bad, and if not, if you have a repair plan. More importantly, that you also have the means to support the ownership of the vehicle and its repairs.

If you check the appropriate boxes, and decide that youve found a great one that is a optimal value, then why not? So long as you prepare in advance for the worst case scenario, and so long as youre really into owning one, then its only your business.

Personally Id be keeping an eye out for one of those really low mileage, pristine W126 cars, if I was looking for a sedan... But that's just me.

Good luck!

The CL is basically a 2 door S-class...a CL600 would be a great car....read through HAOZ's thread on Benzworld. You'll get the incredible M275 engine and the ABC suspension. Both are incredible in their performance. The engine is easy to care for: M1 0w40 and the MB fleece filter. The ABC should be serviced regularly to prevent pump and component corrosion. Buy the Pentosin in bulk on Amazon. PM me if you buy the car - it's an incredible machine, but here are some servicing bits you should be aware of...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

IMHO the W220 is the least desirable S class, I still prefer the W140 and the W221. The W140 is really an amazing piece of engineering. But sadly it cost to much to build, and the average consumer isn't willing to pay for a luxury car that's as good at 100k or 200k as it is at mile 1.

I completely disagree.

The W-140 is a great car, but heavy, and very blocky-looking...like a mutated Volvo from the 90s. The V-12 in that car is anemic compared with the twin turbo and the cylinder shutoff causes all kinds of problems. The W-140 suspension was conventional, which adds to reliability, but it can't match the performance and ride of the ABC.

The W-221 is just plain ugly. The W-220 had style, flowing lines, not just rounded edges. The interior of the W-221 is odd, too...lots of little shiny controls...trying to look luxury but sacrificing utility for style.

Now, the W-222 S-class is gorgeous from the inside and out....but they cost more than my first house...

Last edited:
All you have to do is to wait a decade and then W222 will be less than a used Corolla!

Vikas is only considering paying $10k for this. A lofty sum but at the same time not an inordinate amount to loose half of it if car becomes a complete dud and has to be sold.

I do have a friend who buys $10kish cars like this and throws away every 1-3 years usually get at least 50% value back. He is one that life is too short for boring cars. He really only changes the oil.

Actually more in $15K but the idea is still the same.

The point being I am not making a decision of should I be buying an Accord/Camry/Corolla/Civic for that money or this S-Class. Trust me when I tell that if I were making that decision, it would be Accord/Camry/Corolla/Civic every single time over a used S-Class! Most people who end up purchasing S-class instead of the Corolla are in for a rude and nasty surprises down the road, especially the guys who finance this used car purchase!

Yes, I would be very upset with losing $15K but there would still be roof over our head and I still would be able to drive to work if there is a catastrophe with this purchase. I really should have hammered this point earlier as it would have cut down on lots of replies but half the fun is in reading the cute replies.

Also the other side of that equation is that I am not jumping without a parachute like it would be if I were purchasing a bi-turbo or a V12 or an AMG! At this stage of the game, I am not up to it.

I am going to talk with the seller and see what is the story on the closure system and if he has any plans on fixing it. I also need to find out what else is not working before taking the next step.

Lets not forget about the experience either. Not every purchase has to be about squeezing Lincoln until he screams.

An S class is an amazing vehicle to drive, its an awesome experience. Anyone who thinks a dear god, a camry is in the same league is out of it.

So buy it, heck go for the big motor. The V12 offers so, so much and really isn't that terrible to own. Nothing wafts like a V12, its simply un matched.

I've never driven a v12 engine car before. This post makes me seriously re-consider my priorities in life

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am surprised in the above video the car is that loud for the coin spent. Fast yes but loud too at least in the video.

That's loud even on my laptop speakers...wow. I honestly wonder if the noise level in the car might border on pain.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
All you have to do is to wait a decade and then W222 will be less than a used Corolla!

And as reliable as a vintage Fiat!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Lets not forget about the experience either. Not every purchase has to be about squeezing Lincoln until he screams.

An S class is an amazing vehicle to drive, its an awesome experience. Anyone who thinks a dear god, a camry is in the same league is out of it.

So buy it, heck go for the big motor. The V12 offers so, so much and really isn't that terrible to own. Nothing wafts like a V12, its simply un matched.

I've never driven a v12 engine car before. This post makes me seriously re-consider my priorities in life

I once drove one...my impression pretty much was: "Is that all there is?" I was honestly more impressed by the same car with a six.

Then again...my commuter car puts about 500HP down to the dyno rollers, so...

The principal advantage of a V-12 is balance. They're the smoothest engines made, period. That's why Packard built one back in 1917. That's why fighter planes had them in WW II.

Depending on which car you drive, how many miles, state of repair/tune, performance of the rest of the chassis/transmission, your impression might not represent the inherent advantages of the V-12.

Hop into a 1979 Cadillac, and the impression might be, "OMG, what a complete PILE of junk, with loose, numb steering, shabby interior of faded velour, rusty bumpers, weak brakes, and anemic V-8... How did anyone ever consider one of these!??"

But I remember the 1979 Caddies when they were new: I worked as a valet at an exclusive country club in CT. They were great cars. Sweet rides.

So, to judge an entire class of cars and engines on the basis of one example, of one data point, is simply specious.

Oh, it was very smooth--though no moreso than the same car's six--but power wasn't impressive, and it made the car (Jaguar XJS) a nose-heavy pig.

So did you get the car? Make sure you get 2 keys with it, you should check the price on replacement keys.

Jarlaxle,

Your 500 horsepower daily driver doesn't have the refinement of a 500 horsepower of AMG Benz, BMW M6, ...etc...

Neither does a modern Camaro, Challenger, Corvette, Viper, ....etc...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
real affluent people don't need to keep a vehicle for 15 years unless they have some special attachment to it.

I was at a party last night in a very affluent area of Long Island. It was attended by a large number of physicians. I was surprised to see that late 1990s E class cars were the most prevalent. It was really the age that surprised me of the cars.

Lexus RX was another popular choice.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I once drove one...my impression pretty much was: "Is that all there is?" I was honestly more impressed by the same car with a six.

Then again...my commuter car puts about 500HP down to the dyno rollers, so...

what do you daily?

Many people are too busy with other things and / or do not feel the need to display status with their vehicles.

If a vehicle is reliable and you are comfortable with it, why not keep it going?

The car does have two keys but no, I have yet to go back and figure out if the closure system is broken. I am little bit disappointed that when I had asked for the list of things wrong with it, I was told everything works. Either the service manager lied or he is not as knowledgeable about the car as I thought he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back