Career in tribology...how does one begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years in accounting, I've finally had enough. I've considered going further in for my designation but I cannot stomach learning and applying more studies and research into something that clearly does not interest me.

In terms of my interests, I like the sciences. Back in university I was merely looking for a career choice that would get me a job placement once I was done and ended up with a degree in business. Now that I've had a fair amount of time to "grow up" I think I want to go back to school to learn something that truly interests me. I always come back to automotive interests, mostly the aspects of the fluids and lubricants that make them "work". What makes one better than the other? why would you use one in certain applications but not others? these types of questions have always interested me.

I have no kids and no mortgage (live in an apt. in an area of Vancouver BC that condos easily sell for over $700k+ price range...and I'm not planning to win the lottery anytime soon nor inherit millions to buy a house). I also have lots of free time in my evenings and weekends. I don't care much for obtaining financial wealth to retire by the time I'm 45... financial wealth sounds nice, but I'd rather focus on what interest me.

Advise is appreciated

The ideal way would be to work in a supervisory capacity in an industry that has lots of rotating equipment. An engineering degree would be helpful/required.

I suppose I could call myself a "Triboligist" since I have an engineering degree and spent my live as a project engineer, equipment maintenance supervisor and I instructed in power equipment. I belong to STLE (Society of Triboligists and Lubrication Engineers. That membership cost me money but I don't think required special certifications. I don't remember. I have belonged to it since forever.

Another route would be to do research in the subject. To open that door would probably require a Masters and working on a doctorate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

...In terms of my interests, I like the sciences. Back in university I was merely looking for a career choice that would get me a job placement once I was done and ended up with a degree in business. Now that I've had a fair amount of time to "grow up" I think I want to go back to school to learn something that truly interests me. I always come back to automotive interests, mostly the aspects of the fluids and lubricants that make them "work". What makes one better than the other? why would you use one in certain applications but not others? these types of questions have always interested me...

Advise is appreciated

Glad to see have an interest in Tribology.

Tribology is a mix of mechanics, materials science, and chemistry, so those courses should help.

Suggested Areas of Study:

1. Physics - 4 semesters
2. More math - Calculus I.II, Differential Equations I,II
3. Chemistry - Intro, Organic (at least two semesters), Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering (the industrial processes that make it happen),
4. Materials Science, 2 semesters.
5. Mechanical Engineering, 2 semesters.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Check out a university with a materials engineering program.

Look for one that is a feeder to the oil/gas industry and you will get the course concentration that you will need.

My son will graduate with this degree in a couple of weeks.

He will be working in polymers/plastics for a Tier 1 auto supplier.

Three interviews, three job offers.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Now that I've had a fair amount of time to "grow up" I think I want to go back to school to learn something that truly interests me. I always come back to automotive interests, mostly the aspects of the fluids and lubricants that make them "work". What makes one better than the other? why would you use one in certain applications but not others? these types of questions have always interested me.
Advise is appreciated

Go back to your initial university and get a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering or Material Science. Then apply with the major petroleum companies or automotive powertrain suppliers. Most tribologists have MS or PhD degrees. So you will probably find yourself in grad school at night after you get your initial job.

Without the technical degree...no companies will give you a look.

Last edited:
Awesome advise given in this thread
laugh.gif

thanks again guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back