Worst gift ever received?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in the pub last night and this topic came up. Didn't matter if it was for a Birthday, Christmas, Anniversary, Recovering in Hospital.

The winner - or loser! - was someone who got a slideshow of a holiday. Problem was it wasn't his holiday but the pictures of the person giving the "gift".

I couldn't compete against that. Can you?

worse gift every receive: salad bowl, table lamp, children size ottoman, etc.

Best gift of all: pre-loaded gift cards.

Q.

I had an Aunt who always bought me gifts that would have been better suited for a younger person.

I was about 10 years old and what did she give me for my Birthday ?
A pair of 'plastic' Clown Shoes.
They were worth a good laugh.

Very ugly sweater.

The homeless on a freezing winter night would rather burn it to keep warm... than wear it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very ugly sweater.

The homeless on a freezing winter night would rather burn it to keep warm... than wear it.
smile.gif

grin.gif

I got a few of those back in highschool. Can't believe what my mom was thinking...

Of course it's merely the thought of giving someone a gift that truly counts.

Sometimes I wonder just what the heck they were thinking though!

Exactly! The person giving their holiday snaps as a gift was not thinking of the recipient.

A cordless Dewalt drill. It's not often that I need to use a drill. I prefer something I can plug in and it works when I need to use it. And I'm not wasting energy keeping a battery on a charger plugged in only to use it once every 6 months.

Never received any bad gift, all gifts were/are great just because the person who gave/gives me the gift was/is nice enough thinking of me. I appreciated/enjoyed all the gifts I received.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Never received any bad gift, all gifts were/are great just because the person who gave/gives me the gift was/is nice enough thinking of me. I appreciated/enjoyed all the gifts I received.

+1

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A cordless Dewalt drill. It's not often that I need to use a drill. I prefer something I can plug in and it works when I need to use it. And I'm not wasting energy keeping a battery on a charger plugged in only to use it once every 6 months.

An expensive tool that the giver thought you might like, and all you can do is complain about it?

Were I the giver, I would simply never buy you anything again.

Problem solved.

We are foster parents, so we hear all kinds of stories about either the lack of gifts or bad gifts received by the kids in their past.

We have a 17 year old girl living with us right now who the other day was telling us about some of the gifts her mother had given her. Used makeup and a father's day card with father's day scratched out and "Happy Birthday" written below it topped the list.

It's the thought that counts, though, right?

Back in the 70's I wanted "The Who's" Tommy album. My not-so-hip aunt got me a Tom Jones record thinking that's what I meant.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Back in the 70's I wanted "The Who's" Tommy album. My not-so-hip aunt got me a Tom Jones record thinking that's what I meant.

LOL, that's beautiful.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

When I was 15 I asked my folks for Guns & Roses or Rod Stewart. You know how that went.
wink.gif

I keep getting workbenches, every couple years. I don't have one set up, they aren't my style. If I had one it'd just get covered in cultch.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1

+2

One of those free give away calendars. For beauty supplies......No pretty girls. And......I got it several months into the new year. I don't think it was heartfelt. Though, it could have been the giver making a point.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
One of those free give away calendars. For beauty supplies......No pretty girls. And......I got it several months into the new year. I don't think it was heartfelt. Though, it could have been the giver making a point.

Yikes, that sounds like one of my MIL gifts... Although she just has trouble remembering/bothering to get a proper gift beforehand, so sometimes you get whatever is handy around the house and she's not trying to be spiteful.
I tried to make a point one year, and got her a NASCAR t-shirt(she is a "greenie") for Christmas, but nothing has changed and we have far too much junk anyways. Atleast her gifts we never feel guilty about disposing of.
My wife gets far too much cheap chocolate from her students and it all gets put into the fireplace. The scented candles and glass trinkets go to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back