5w20 but how does that protect in summer months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophistry, bullbleep and amplify Are mighty fancy words HerrStig, Dang !!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LemanJoe
Originally Posted By: wantboost
my car calls for 5w20 but in hot summer months does that enough to protect motor???

How long are u looking to keep your car? If less than 100k miles and 5-7 years then "Yes." If longer, then "not sure." Anything beyond 100k miles is not on auto manufacturers' agenda. They want to keep making cars for you to buy.

That's complete and utter nonsense.

I'm confident everyone here knows where I stand on the thick thin debate. I choose to use a grade that takes into consideration all factors like ambient temp and duty cycle however I have bought high mile hemi trucks that used 5w-20 conventional oil at a 5000 mile interval and at my time of purchase the odo showed 240k and the engine consumed no oil between changes and when compared to my dads brand new hemi I could feel no difference in pulling power nor was there any engine deficiencies to be noticed
The nonsense posted about manufacturers wanting shorter engine life is laughable and a joke. And for someone to not only believe but push that idea says much about them.
There is nothing wrong with today's 20 grades and they have proven to keep today's engines running just fine for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
Implying that engine longevity will be shortened in any meaningful way using what the manufacturer specifies is hogwash.

Ok. I need to reply to some.
I am not ready (mentally) and do not have any time to argue with anybody's believes about engineering and oil viscosity effects. Yes, there are many cars running on 5w20 and lasting longer than 100k miles. There are at least a few billions people living on bread/water and doing "fine." There are a few millions of people doing "fine" living without clean drinking water and a bunch of people are "fine" using their left palm wiping their butts. And a bunch of Americans eating Donald's and they are "fine."

I am sorry if I hurt somebody. You guys are great and your cars run forever on any oil, as long as somebody at API decided on the formula. I get it. Have a nice day!

I am not ready (mentally) and do not have any time to argue with anybody's believes about engineering and oil viscosity effects. Yes, there are many cars running on 5w20 and lasting longer than 100k miles. There are at least a few billions people living on bread/water and doing "fine." There are a few millions of people doing "fine" living without clean drinking water and a bunch of people are "fine" using their left palm wiping their butts. And a bunch of Americans eating Donald's and they are "fine."

I am sorry if I hurt somebody. You guys are great and your cars run forever on any oil, as long as somebody at API decided on the formula. I get it. Have a nice day!

Seriously?
This is your response.

My former common law spouse has a ford windstar. 5w-20 since new. Currently just turned 380k on the odo and never had an engine issue nor a hint of consumption.
My brothers 08 ram hemi quad cab 4x4. My dad bought it new. Has 260k on the odo and nary an engine issue nor oil consumption.
My previous 04 ram hemi. 280k on the odo using 5w-20!conventional with 5000 mile intervals.
So to imply that a 20 grade leads to short engine life is more than absurd. The fact that you believe it is HILLARIOUS.
I ama thicker is better guy but even I don't believe thinner oil automatically mean shorter engine life.
You've obviously got a closed mind unable to process reality so I'm not even going to try however if you stick to that nonsense you've really got nothing to gain from BITOG nor offer and therefore might just be smart to find the tinfoil hat crowd type site where I'm sure you will find do done who agrees with the tripe you have convinced yourself of.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Seriously?
This is your response.

My former common law spouse has a ford windstar. 5w-20 since new. Currently just turned 380k on the odo and never had an engine issue nor a hint of consumption.
My brothers 08 ram hemi quad cab 4x4. My dad bought it new. Has 260k on the odo and nary an engine issue nor oil consumption.
My previous 04 ram hemi. 280k on the odo using 5w-20!conventional with 5000 mile intervals.
So to imply that a 20 grade leads to short engine life is more than absurd. The fact that you believe it is HILLARIOUS.
I ama thicker is better guy but even I don't believe thinner oil automatically mean shorter engine life.
You've obviously got a closed mind unable to process reality so I'm not even going to try however if you stick to that nonsense you've really got nothing to gain from BITOG nor offer and therefore might just be smart to find the tinfoil hat crowd type site where I'm sure you will find do done who agrees with the tripe you have convinced yourself of.

WOW. Really. Should I leave the country too? Continent as well? Or simply being executed for saying some you did not like? Great! That is great guys. The examples above really mean a lot in explaining how oils and engines work. But I will take your advice and leave. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Like I said, it is very well documented that average car is build to last approx 100k plus some miles and 5-7 years.

Could you provide links to these documents? Or 1 even?

not busting you chops, very interested to read about this.

thanks

Pro Bono work? Can't help you. But you can help yourself. Look at major companies' business plans. Search VW's, MB's, BMW's. Try searching Toyota's business model and supply chain model. I believe many business schools teach basic business environmental behaviors classes covering the proposed life span of models and how they are to be of limited duration, not to mess with manufacturing. If I may suggest, try attending Wake Forest University. Some of the professors are from the industry and will give you a lot of useful references.

You said it's "well documented". I call [censored]. Show the documents. Cars easily last 200k miles these days. How many years out of the industry are these professors of yours? Toyota became the number 1 car manufacturer in the world by making reliable cars that last a long time. I don't need to go back to college when I have real world experience that contradicts your premise. This isn't 1975.

Actually Mercedes offers extended warranties up to 125k and if you buy CPO, they offer an unlimited mileage warranty, but it's only one year. The belief that cars only last 100k is probably also from the era where you changed oil every 3k. Those days are gone. It's just that most people like you haven't gotten the message. You may also be confusing a couple things, they may be designed to last 100k but in reality last a lot longer. That's not the same as designed to fail at 100k. For instance, you have to design an engine that will function in extreme cold climates and then you also have to make sure it works in hot climates, same engine. In milder climates, it may last much longer on average, but you still have to design for the extremes.

You should look at the SSD torture test, some of them lasted 30-50 times longer than the life they were rated for.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Like I said, it is very well documented that average car is build to last approx 100k plus some miles and 5-7 years.

Could you provide links to these documents? Or 1 even?

not busting you chops, very interested to read about this.

thanks

Pro Bono work? Can't help you. But you can help yourself. Look at major companies' business plans. Search VW's, MB's, BMW's. Try searching Toyota's business model and supply chain model. I believe many business schools teach basic business environmental behaviors classes covering the proposed life span of models and how they are to be of limited duration, not to mess with manufacturing. If I may suggest, try attending Wake Forest University. Some of the professors are from the industry and will give you a lot of useful references.

I graduated from General Motors Institute.
I must have missed the day in class where they said to only design cars to last 100k miles.

Can u guys discuss ure issues in another thread or pm. And can u guys just help me with my question

What engine are we talking about? Using the correct oil is key with the implementation of variable cam shaft timing and Ti-VCT, so depending on the engine/year it could particularly be important to stick with what the manufacture suggests.

my car calls for 5w20 but in hot summer months does that enough to protect motor???

For normal use, absolutely. If you're going to pull a trailer of considerable weight or wind drag, and see how fast you can drive from L.A. to Las Vegas then I would go heavier.

You didn't offer any specifics, but if you're using your car in basic commuting, grocery getting, family hauling, etc, there is no need for concern.

Again...no specifics were offered. Many vehicles like ford pickups, are using 5w20 in all aspects of their use including towing.

Last edited:
Can u guys discuss ure issues in another thread or pm. And can u guys just help me with my question

Regarding your question OP, I believe many manufactures think the thinner 20 grade oils are certainly "adequate" but not necessarily "optimum".

In our KIA manual for example the CAFE Nazis push 5w20 hard and 5w20 is on the oil cap. Yet as soon as they mention hot weather or towing they suggest a 5w30. From posts I've seen here on BITOG KIA/Hyundai is not the only vehicle manufacturer to engage in this oil spec double speak.

The 5w20 will certainly do you just fine though, the difference between "adequate" and "optimum" is a BITOG knat's hair.

For the record I have 5w20 in our KIA now but usually run 5w30 in it. No worries at all.

Read the owner's manual, plain and simple. My wife's Elantra GT calls for 5w20 on the cap...look in the manual and it says you can use 5w30 if it never gets below 0*F, and 10w30 if it never gets below 32*F. Sure the engine might work fine with 5w20 year 'round, but I'd rather run a thicker oil just in case, while also keeping the engine more quiet at the same time.

Last edited:
Interesting points about the police cars. One important thing to keep in mind is the notion of not building cars to last long beyond the warranty, in my opinion, is long gone. Car manufactures have to compete on a global scale if Ford or any other domestic manufacture had consistently produced products that didn't last at least as long or longer than their overseas counterparts (at the same price points), I don't think they would be in business very long. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: jrmason
What engine are we talking about? Using the correct oil is key with the implementation of variable cam shaft timing and Ti-VCT, so depending on the engine/year it could particularly be important to stick with what the manufacture suggests.

More absurdity.
Does the ti-vct operate properly when the engine is cold and the oil in sump is 50 times thicker than at operating temp?
Sure it does. So a 40 grade hot is much thinner than a 20 grade cold which means the cam timing will operate as designed.
I read this kind of fluff all the time and it's usually posted by those who've never actually thought about it. Because if they had they'd see the absurdity of it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: jrmason

More absurdity.
Does the ti-vct operate properly when the engine is cold and the oil in sump is 50 times thicker than at operating temp?
Sure it does. So a 40 grade hot is much thinner than a 20 grade cold which means the cam timing will operate as designed.
I read this kind of fluff all the time and it's usually posted by those who've never actually thought about it. Because if they had they'd see the absurdity of it.

Well technically, with the TI-VCT I believe there's a locking mechanism that's employed under two circumstances one of which being the warm up phase (the other I believe extreme running conditions like right rpm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back