Deer hits van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past week a deer ran into the side of our 2005 Honda Odyssey. Luckily, most of the damage was to the sliding door, with no damage to the frame, glass trim or power door mechanism. There is also a small dent in the rear quarter panel, but I think a paintless dent removal place could repair it. I have not received a settlement/quote back from my insurance adjuster yet. I have not had to deal with an insurance company in a very long time (fortunately). The power doors on a Odyssey are somewhat complicated, with several motors, sensors, etc. I think the insurance co. will suggest using a junk yard door, which I understand but my concern is will all the motors and stuff be transfered off my van, will they just use what comes with the recycled door or replace much of the mechanicals with new parts? Ours is 10 years old, but at least I know it works correctly. Also, I think I can do most of the door transfer myself. Any tips or hints regarding dealing with the insurance company and maybe DIY repair.

Take the insurance money and fix it yourself.This has to be at least a $1500+ claim...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Take the insurance money and fix it yourself.This has to be at least a $1500+ claim...

Most insurance companies will only pay the body shop. A good policy and body shop (can you pick your own, my state allows it?) will only use new parts. If it is only panel damage, they will transfer your good working parts.

Last edited:
I had a deer run into the side of my 2007 Honda Accord (while on vacation 2000 miles from home). The car was dented from the front quarter past both doors. Fortunately everything still worked.

While parked in a motel parking lot on the way home, a "drive around" paintless dent removal guy offered to make it right for $300. I didn't take him up on it, though I had been wondering if it could be repaired paintlessly.

When I got home I took the car to a known paintless dent removal guy to get some work done (on the other side) and to find out about this mess. He did a perfect job on the other side. When I told him about the $300 offer he laughed and pulled out a few of the worst dents and said that's all the guy would have done - which was nowhere close to acceptable.

The actual repair bill came to around $4,000. My doors were reskinned which did a pretty nice job. The paint isn't as good as Honda factory paint, but then what is?

My advice - get an estimate from the best body shop you know of before talking about any settlement.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Most insurance companies will only pay the body shop. A good policy and body shop (can you pick your own, my state allows it?) will only use new parts. If it is only panel damage, they will transfer your good working parts.

That's right, the only way you are getting any money is if the Van is totaled.

I have been paid direct by insurance companies on more than one occasion. Then I was willing to live with the damage and just put the money towards my next car. It really should not matter as the damage was not there before so they are paying to bring it back to the way it was. If I then leave it and put that money toward the next car why should they care.

And because the deer ran into me, this accident didn't count towards my accident-free status.

I suspect the biggest cost was repainting the entire side. If I had been satisfied with a combination of paintless quarter panel repair plus repainted door skins I might have gotten the cost down.

I like the idea of door reskinning rather than a used door. You know your door and what hasn't happened to it.

On the other hand if you could find a really good used door in the same colour there might be a substantial saving.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
How did the Deer make out?

Wife said it was sitting up about 20 ft off the road, appeared to be ok but probably had a bad headache.

Update, there is a dead deer in the vicinity of where the one that ran into our van was last seen. So maybe a little worse than just a bad headache.

I have been paid directly from the insurance company, when I have declined to use their "preferred" body shop.

Also, I don't think an insurance company would ever compel you to use junkyard parts. I'll bet those sliding doors are rather expensive.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
My advice - get an estimate from the best body shop you know of before talking about any settlement.

Good advice!

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I have been paid directly from the insurance company, when I have declined to use their "preferred" body shop.

Also, I don't think an insurance company would ever compel you to use junkyard parts. I'll bet those sliding doors are rather expensive.

Getting payment direct and parts policies differ from state to state according to state law. Junkyard parts are not ruled out entirely because sometimes that is the only option. One thing you can do is demand CAPA and/or NSF certified replacement parts.

Today I got a detailed estimate back from my insurance company along with a check which was equal to their estimate less my deductible. Total cost to repair is estimated at just under $3000, which is right about what I thought it would be. They also state that if they made an error/missed something, have the body shop call to explain and get approval for additional payment. Seems fair.

Given that the van is 10 yrs old and has 150k miles, I am not sure the repair has to be 100% cosmetically perfect. I am going to stop by a well respected local shop and see what they recommend. Second option, there are used doors out there for about $500 complete. If I can find a good one in the same color as my van, that would be a fairly economical bolt on solution, even if I needed to take it to a shop for some final adjustments. The smaller dent in the rear quarter is a candidate for paint less dent removal. I'm thinking I could spend about $1000 total and be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back