Early spring-Seattle Arboretum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
What kind of camera did you use? Was it a 35mm film camera?

No...most of my shots are done with a fairly basic 12MP, super-zoom "bridge" camera. It's a three year old Panasonic-Lumix FZ150.

t's got a great fixed lens on it and still performs very well.

I was surprised how good the photos can be with my Canon PowerShot S120. Plus it can take short videos. I try to take it most places that I go.

For some place like a museum or a botanic garden or something like that I would prefer to have my Canon 6D, but even than it is nice to have the little camera as well. And the little camera can more easily shoot short videos.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
No...most of my shots are done with a fairly basic 12MP, super-zoom "bridge" camera. It's a three year old Panasonic-Lumix FZ150.

Most of the pics you posted show DMC-SZ3.

Nice photos, by the way!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Most of the pics you posted show DMC-SZ3.

Nice photos, by the way!

Yes....the first group. I think I mentioned that those were taken with my girlfriends pocket camera. I rarely ever use her camera.

I've got many more photos in ImageShack that I've taken with the FZ150.

Thanks. I wish I was more creative and had better artistic ability though. I see what some folks can do with a DSLR and I am astounded.

I don't care what camera you are using andrewg-just keep taking photos and post some of them here, okay?

If you don't own a DSLR, I would recommend just an entry level camera like a Nikon D3300 or the new Canon Rebel that will be coming out, maybe this summer. Either would be fine. And you can worry about additional lenses later and buy them as you need them and can afford them.

I think you take great photographs.

I don't care what camera you are using andrewg

But you were the one that asked him what camera he was using.
smile.gif

I don't care what camera you are using andrewg

But you were the one that asked him what camera he was using.
smile.gif

Okay, let me carefully explain this. Yes, I did ask him what camera he was using. I thought he might be using a 35 mm film camera. I was curious what camera he had been shooting with. I hope I am allowed to be curious here about what sort of equipment a person is using.

After I found out about that, I was so impressed by his photography I said to him he should keep taking photos and I suggested to him some digital cameras he might consider. I don't care what camera he uses-but his photography is very good in my opinion so I would like to see more of his photos.

It seems somewhat contradictory-right? A little confusing?

Let me explain it again. I was impressed with his photos and I thought he might possibly be using a 35mm film camera. So I asked him what equipment he was using. This was curiosity on my part about his equipment.

I don't really care what camera he uses-I just want to see more of his photos. I think he takes great photographs.

I don't care what camera you are using andrewg-just keep taking photos and post some of them here, okay?

If you don't own a DSLR, I would recommend just an entry level camera like a Nikon D3300 or the new Canon Rebel that will be coming out, maybe this summer. Either would be fine. And you can worry about additional lenses later and buy them as you need them and can afford them.

I think you take great photographs.

No....I don't own a DSLR. Maybe someday.

When I was much younger I used to own a 35mm SLR. I was never really into photography much then but I did learn a few things.

One thing I learned was that I am not a big fan of carrying around lots of gear just to take photos. Since it's not anything more than a pastime, carrying extra lenses, bags, filters, tripod, flash....it's far too cumbersome for me.

A DSLR isn't as bad (gear wise) as an old 35mm.....but if I can get buy with just a single lens camera (called bridge cameras or super-zooms)....I'd rather do that.
I know the quality and capability of a DSLR is above my cameras capabilities, but for what I take photos for, it works ok.

I rarely even take a tripod with me! That costs me some nice macro shots in lower light areas, but for me it's a good trade-off.

If I were to do it over, I'd skip the whole DSLR stuff and go straight to mirrorless. Picture quality and features are great at a fraction of size and weight of typical DSLR gear.

If I were to do it over, I'd skip the whole DSLR stuff and go straight to mirrorless. Picture quality and features are great at a fraction of size and weight of typical DSLR gear.

Yes....I tend to drool all over those cameras. Very nice with little compromise.

It is truly incredible how fast technology has changed...and continues to improve....in the field of photography. Just blows my mind.

I am not a fan of overly manipulated post-production stuff though. Some minor enhancing through the computer is fine...but stuff like HDR I find distracting.

I am not a fan of overly manipulated post-production stuff though. Some minor enhancing through the computer is fine...but stuff like HDR I find distracting.

HDR helps in those scenes where you have extreme differences in lighting/contrast that you're trying to overcome. However, if you shoot in RAW, you can typically achieve similar effect in post processing by pushing shadows, adjusting exposure, etc.

In 3 years of owning a camera with HDR function, I've used it maybe once or twice. That's partly because it's a pain to enable on my camera, and partly because I just had no need for it.

HDR helps in those scenes where you have extreme differences in lighting/contrast that you're trying to overcome. However, if you shoot in RAW, you can typically achieve similar effect in post processing by pushing shadows, adjusting exposure, etc.

In 3 years of owning a camera with HDR function, I've used it maybe once or twice. That's partly because it's a pain to enable on my camera, and partly because I just had no need for it.

I see. Yeah...I pretty much can see how HDR could come in handy once in a great while.

To me I see loads of folks using it for that effect it gives off....kind of a fantasy-land look. It just turns me off for some reason. Just not my cup of tea.

The big thing now is using it for real estate photography. Way over done and not needed most of the time....but realtors seem to love it for some reason.

Must be a disappointment to the prospective buyer when they go look at the property and come to realize it doesn't look like a Thomas Kinkade painting in real life.

Last edited:
I hate the fantasy effect. It looks like a cartoon.

I like HDR when it is needed-like if you are in a dark museum and there is bright light coming in through a window. And especially if you are not allowed to use flash.

Another time is when the sky is bright and you can't get a good photo of the sky and whatever you are photographing, like buildings.

As long as I can get a good photo, I don't use HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back