Windows 10 Technical Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good so far. Hopefully Windows 8 was Microsoft's last fail. XP was a workhorse for over a decade..then Vista was a total failure, then Win 7 was a home run, then Windows 8 was a mis-step, they skip Win 9 altogether and now were on Win X.

Someone needs to get the reins around the Win Development team. I bought a MacBook about a year and half ago...I'll never go back to Windows.

Last edited:
Windows 8 was NOT a fail, the only fail they did was not give a start button option.... I had to purchase Start8 for some pocket change to fix that.

Other than that, it's great, and I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

I sold my Windows 8.1.1 ASUS 11.6 inch laptop and a Windows 8.1.1 15.6 Laptop but will keep some type of Windows Desktop as I have a few Windows programs that I still use.

Several months ago I purchased an 11.6 inch Acer C11 Chromebook and a ASUS Chromebox which meets most of my computing needs and like the ll.6 inch for travel.

Have read that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8 users. May just replace my Windows 8..1.1 Desktop anyway with a Windows 10 version?

Originally Posted By: Throt
Looking good so far. Hopefully Windows 8 was Microsoft's last fail. XP was a workhorse for over a decade..then Vista was a total failure, then Win 7 was a home run, then Windows 8 was a mis-step, they skip Win 9 altogether and now were on Win X.

Someone needs to get the reins around the Win Development team. I bought a MacBook about a year and half ago...I'll never go back to Windows.

I am beyond happy still with Windows 7 and not sure of the advantage of running Win 8.1 not Win 10. I have both in VirtualBox for testing purposes and just don't see the "advantage".

I hated W8 at the beginning also but over time i realized that i could use it just like previous versions of Windows, i "almost" never use the new start menu.
And even if i do, it works great. I just tap the Windows button, type half of the program name and hit enter and it launches it way faster than using the mouse and going through the old start menu. (I know previous Windows versions also had a start menu search but i never used it and it dont know if its as fast)
For me, W8 was a success. Its smoother, performs better and have never given me any problems at all.

Last edited:
I have Windows 10 on what is now my "garage computer". It runs WAY better than it really has a right to. Current specs, some of which are stock and some of which I've changed over time:

AMD Athlon 4450e CPU
2 GB DDR2 400 MHz RAM
Onboard nVidia nForce 6100 GPU/chipset
WD 1 TB 7,200 RPM HDD
D-Link USB wi-fi dongle

I scored this computer for free from an "e waste" event we had at work. I used free RAM that I've scrounged from similar throw-aways at work and the WD HDD is one that I bought many years ago for 60 bucks with a coupon from Dell. I've spent exactly $0 on this computer getting it up and running.

It had Windows XP and it ran pretty sloppy with that. I'm blown away with how well it runs on 10. I've got Office 2013 on it and SQL Server 2008 R2 and run a few databases on it for work projects. I use it for YouTubing and Pandora and Alldatadiy.com out in the garage. In fact, I'm typing on it right now, with the garage doors open, listening to my neighbor mow his lawn.

It runs full-screen YouTube/Netflix/Hulu videos just great. Office '13 runs quick and snappy. Despite being a mechanical HDD, it boots from stone-cold off into the Windows environment in about 15 seconds. It runs nice and cool, with a substantial AMD cooler on the CPU and an additional 80 or 90 mm case fan that I added out of my parts box. I have some decent Gateway speakers (that provide a surprisingly good sound) that I bought from Craigslist for $5 a few years ago. Paired with a little 19" Samsung flatscreen/widescreen from another computer project I had. Great little machine for free. And great news that Microsoft will, allegedly, convert all Technical Preview installs to the real deal in July or whenever Windows 10 goes live.

10 runs at least as fast as XP on this machine. It runs far faster than 7 on one of my older laptops. It seems to take the performance benefits that 8 offers and advances them another step. Will I grow to love 10's Start Menu? I don't know. If I don't, I have no doubt that Start8 and others will develop "Start10" or similar products for Windows 10.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am beyond happy still with Windows 7 and not sure of the advantage of running Win 8.1 not Win 10. I have both in VirtualBox for testing purposes and just don't see the "advantage".

If you're running 10 in a VirtualBox through 7, you probably won't see the performance advantages that it offers, right? As far as UI, they (8/8.1 and 10) are very similar to 7...just slight style changes to things like window corners/edges, etc. The "metro" interface is completely suppressed in 10.

If you run it inside of a VirtualBox environment, I think that much of the benefit will be lost due to 7 still running the show.

I've run 10 on two 2006-era machines now, and it just flies. It's quite surprising to me how well it runs.

Originally Posted By: Throt

There's nothing wrong with Windows 8.1.
Yesterday I previewed the Top-10 Things about Windows 10 and I could not find (1) new concept of it that interested me. So I won't be downloading something that not usable / desirable for me.

Mozilla Firefox 37.02 is the best browser around..... hands down. Chrome (2nd Place) is a few lengths of the horse track behind. For every isolated area of Chrome that's superior to Firefox, well Firefox has two isolated areas that are superior over Chrome.

What would be great is if the best of both browsers would simply merge.

Last edited:
It seems there is news on the Windows 10 front. At least in the "superficial changes" area.

Aero Glass may be making a comeback.

You can read the article and see pics at Microsoft News

Okay Win8 may not have been a fail, but it certainly wasn't well received. I also had to download Start8 to make it useable. They designed it be a tablet OS but 97% of the user base still uses PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back