Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
my kid's laptop WD caviour black failed within 4 years. still under the 5 year warranty. i got a new one from WD, same capacity (500GB) but advanced format, restored from acronis image and it worked fine except for windows update refusing to update. i wasted several hours going through the official MS troubleshooting for this issue (10 different long procedures to fix it, none of them worked). Finally if found about Intel® Rapid Storage Technology by googling. Initially i was skeptical because:

1. windows support never mentioned it
2. it was supposed to be for 64bit windows (mine is 32bit)
3. the download was from HP, the laptop is gateway
4. there is no RAID or anything fancy in the old laptop
5. it was just a simple HD swap.

however, it fixed the problem.
what is going on and why i needed the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology?

While I have not run into a computer that would not work without it there are benefits, even for single drive computers.

If I had to guess it would be that your laptop is set for the drive to run in AHCI mode and required IRST because of that.

Normally that driver is available as a driver download from your computers manufacturer, it's also available directly from Intel.

This is from Intel;

Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides benefits to users of single drives as well. Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.

You can read the rest here; IRST

You might want to check either, any reinstall disks you might have looking for one called "Drivers", or Gateway's support site for drivers for your particular model, if you'd like to get one specific to your application.

Here's Gateway's Driver Download page.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back