2013 Mazda 2.5L Royal Purple HPS 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my first Blackstone lab report on my wife's 2013 Mazda 6 with the 2.5 liter non sky active engine.

Oil used Royal Purple HPS 5w-20

Total miles: 27,716
Miles on Oil: 7,716
Make up Oil: 0

Aluminum 5
Chromium 0
Iron 12
Copper 4
Lead 0
Tin 1
Molybdenum 109
Nickel 1
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 3
Potassium 4
Boron 10
Silicon 9
Sodium 360
Calcium 3242
Magnesium 13
Phosphorus 1177
Zinc 1408
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 56.2 Value should be 46-59
cSI Viscosity @ 100C 9.11 Value should be 6.0-10.2
Flashpoint in F 385 should be >355
Fuel% Antifreeze% 0
Water% 0
Insolubles% 0.3 Should be TBN 5.1 Should be >1.0

Comments: This is an excellent first report for your Mazda. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this engine after about 6,000 miles on the oil. You went a bit past that point, but the engine didn't notice. The viscosity is fine for 5w-20 and the TBN is 5.1 showing active additive remaining for a longer run. Low insoluble and silicon show fine oil and air filtration. Try 10,000 miles on the next oil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil filter used was a Royal Purple oil filter, the air filter was the factory original as Mazda says to change it at 30,000. I changed it at this oil change but if could have made it to 30,000.

Last edited:
looks good.

low wear numbers for 7716 miles on oil...and tbn is still high.

see if a voa of the rp hps contains sodium even though no
antifreeze showed up.

Last edited:
I have only found one VOA of Royal Purple HPS series oil and yes it did have Sodium in the VOA.

A few weeks ago I bought 2 quarts of royal purple SAE 30w for my commercial zero turn mower.
I have never used royal purple before now,and I am loving this oil!

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
A few weeks ago I bought 2 quarts of royal purple SAE 30w for my commercial zero turn mower.
I have never used royal purple before now,and I am loving this oil!

Glad you enjoy it. I have been trying to get people to open up to Royal Purple for just that reason. I have yet to talk to anyone who uses it and is not impressed.

Is RP using moly in all of their oils now? I have seen two recent UOA's of RP oil (this one, and one for some of the 0w40 stuff), and the 0w40 had even more moly in it...I heard people abandoned the RP stuff after they learned that they changed their original formula. But has RP started using Moly again in all of their oils?

thumbsup2.gif

Looking good!

This engine had used the Factory Mazda 0w-20 oil up until this oil change to Royal Purple and from my understanding the Mazda 0w-20 is rich in moly so this report may be skewed a little from the residue Mazda 0w-20 oil. I will know the next time if the moly goes down but regardless this is not a bad report.

I had a contract with the Mazda dealer for oil changes and they were done at 5,000 mile intervals. When I changed to the Royal Purple HPS 5w-20 I upped it to the 7,500 oil change interval and from this report I was not wrong in doing that. This sample had 7,716 miles on it with lots of good life left in the oil, I may go ahead and go to 10,000 miles as my 3 year 36,000 miles will be coming up anyway and I am not worried about the extended warranty as if there was something mechanical wrong it would have shown up by now and would have more than likely shown up in this oil report.

I will say the RP has a stout additive package. The higher ZDP does little for engines with rollers but it can still act as an anti oxidant. Nice chunk of calcium. I'd like to see how well the RP HPS handles deposit formation, especially on DI engines like the Skyactiv.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
This engine had used the Factory Mazda 0w-20 oil up until this oil change to Royal Purple and from my understanding the Mazda 0w-20 is rich in moly so this report may be skewed a little from the residue Mazda 0w-20 oil. I will know the next time if the moly goes down but regardless this is not a bad report.

I had a contract with the Mazda dealer for oil changes and they were done at 5,000 mile intervals. When I changed to the Royal Purple HPS 5w-20 I upped it to the 7,500 oil change interval and from this report I was not wrong in doing that. This sample had 7,716 miles on it with lots of good life left in the oil, I may go ahead and go to 10,000 miles as my 3 year 36,000 miles will be coming up anyway and I am not worried about the extended warranty as if there was something mechanical wrong it would have shown up by now and would have more than likely shown up in this oil report.

The Mazda oil was 99% likely Castrol OE 0W-20 unless the shop wasn't a real Mazda shop. Castrol OE is the bulk oil the dealerships use and it is a VERY stout oil.

As for the RP HPS, I ran it in my 2006 mazda6 2.3L when it was their standard street offering. Amazing stuff. I could run 12-15k OCIs on it no problem.

RP has excellent TBN retention. Maybe the best I've seen among all oils.

Nice report. I love that new Mazda 6, best looking of the current mid size crop. The new coming '16 Malibu looks good, but I'll have to see one in the flesh.

Originally Posted By: buster
RP has excellent TBN retention. Maybe the best I've seen among all oils.

Not that i have seen. Besides, which RP oil are you referring to.

Being a late model 2013 mazda, is there no concern for the amount of phosphorus above the API/GF-5 limit of 800ppm? Just thinking the limit was intended to protect emission system components like the converters.

Catalytic converters have been in use since at least 1975. As long as your engine is not an oil burner the likely hood of you hurting the catalytic converter is minimal to none. I for one do not buy the excuse that you have to have lower amounts of ZDDP.

Motorcycles use catalytic converters these days and most motorcycles still use JASO MA oil, my Victory is one of them. JASO MA2 is said to be designed for motorcycles with catalytic converters. Victory even has on their web page not to use their own Victory brand 20w-40 oil in motorcycles equipped with catalytic converters. Guess what oil Victory uses in all their Motorcycles? If you said their own Victory branded 20w-40 oil you would be a winner.

That tells me that Victory is not really concerned with high ZDDP and the catalytic converter on their motorcycles. BY the way I run Red Line oil in My Victory with high levels of ZDDP.

We did not have catalytic converters going bad over the years when higher levels of ZDDP was used in oil in the past. It is my opinion that it is not the big problem it is being made out to be. I have never had any problems with a catalytic converter on any of my personal vehicles and I run Royal Purple and Red Line oils with high levels of ZDDP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back