Need Opinions: Take Car to Dealer for Free OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My deal would be,I'd be afraid they'd botch something really simple while doing the oil change,leaving the dipstick out,overfilling/underfilling,messing up oil filter installation (too loose/too tight),breaking a wire/hose/etc,forgetting to put the oil cap back on.

Upselling wouldn't even be a concern of mine. Anyone trying to upset me on anything gets told to take a hike.

It's a time thing to me. The first few oil changes at my Toyota dealership took at least 1.5 hours. That was enough for me to head to JiffyLube or some other Quick Lube place. I can't be bothered to spend hours at the dealership. I'd rather pay $20 and be done in 20 minutes.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
My new Fusion will need it's first oil change soon. The dealer has given me a free oil change. Should I go there or do it myself? I have the oil and filter already. I'm concerned the dealer will upsell on other work (rotate/balance tires, new wiper blades, etc.).

I had a problem with the car early on with the power windows. Took it there and they did nothing. Told me I didn't know how to operate a window switch. So I don't have a lot of confidence in this dealer's shop.

Not a big fan of the dealer doing anything to my vehicle unless I absolutely have no other choice. I would say to just do it yourself, but to each their own.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find, that i have the least problems with a car, when i keep other peoples hands off my car.

x2

Dealers do 100's of oil changes a week... and screw up very infrequently...

Paranoia will destroy ya...

That being said, I like changing my own oil, and can bang off a change on my van in about 15 minutes... and check PS fluid, top up washer fluid, check brake fluid level, check coolant level in overflow tank, peak at cv boots etc.

No dealer or quick change place has touched any of my cars since the first free oil change...

I'd take it if it isn't a hassle to be there, you'll get a MC filter which is good quality and a quality oil that meets spec for the car. Your car will be fine and you can use your oil and filter for the next oil change.

I actually worked in a few dealerships when I was younger, I was NEVER asked to up-sale anything when doing an oil change. The quick lube places are way worse about this (plus they are often selling you inferior parts) than any dealership I've worked in or taken my car to. Now I wouldn't pay them for an oil change...but a free one will be fine.

The aluminum foil hat crowd that exists here on BITOG love to spew their conspiracies but they just don't exist in reality 99% of the time.

Sure, get the "Free" oil change. You paid for it, may as well derive the benefit.

Remember that the person changing your oil at the dealer will not be their certified mechanic, but (wait for it......) an oil changer. Just somebody that, quite possibly, will be making close to minimum wage.
With that being said, I'll give you the one experience that I have with "free" oil changes.
In December of 1987, I bought a brand new 1988 Cougar. This dealer, in the Dallas, Texas area, threw in free oil changes (every 3K miles) for the life of every new car they sold. I tried to get them to lower the price of my car if I could opt out of the "free" service, but they explained to me that it was company policy and they could not exclude me from the services that they threw in. So 3K miles later, I brought it in for the first oil change. They finished it, I get back to my apartment, park the car, and notice a big puddle of oil under my car the next morning. A quick look underneath reveals that it is coming from the drain plug. I drive it down there to show what had happened and they bring it back in to their shop, drop the oil and luckily, it just took a new drain plug to repair it. However, as I watched through the window of the customer waiting area, I noticed they had dropped in oil into a dirty container and then poured the oil back into my car. They gave me my car back, without an apology of any kind, and let me by on my merry way.
I never took them up on their free oil changes again.
That day I had lost all confidence in the oil changer, the shop foreman and the cheap dealership owner.

BIG NO AND NO.

The only time I send my car in is due annual mandatory state inspections. I have never had a time that I sent the car in without an extra scratch or two somewhere on the car when it was out. Likely your lug nut holes will be scratched. They may overfill the engine and overtighten your drain bolt. No way would I let them touching it if it was my car.

My Mazda dealer gives free 5k mile oil changes for as long as you own the car. After 8 years and 151k I have yet to find any evidence of substandard work.
So I guess I'll echo a few others here and say that it depends on the dealer...

Stealerships are like drug dealers...They are really nice to you at first and the first one is free - but the next ones cost you dearly
smile.gif

Let the Stealer muscle the pan bolt and filter off...They tend to be put on by gorillas at the factory.

I personally have no desire to form a relationship with a dealer. It's just a necessary evil because I cannot purchase directly from Toyota.

Once my cars leave the dealer lots, they never go back.

I must have had bad luck with that 1% twice the last 2 times I dealt with a dealership. In 2008 when my lady's car needed a new water pump the moron service manager tried to claim the car needed $800 worth of work done. Garbage. It just needed a new water pump that really only cost total of $260. Then my own dealings with the Nissan dealership the service manager claiming I needed a valve cover replaced that had zero leaks.. Routine Maintainence that lady claimed. Garbage. That's just someone trying to take advantage of someone who doesn't pay attention or know nothing at all about their car.
I do agree that a majority of people at dealerships are not dishonest or bad people. The key is what others have said in here and that is if you really trust the people in your dealership. If you are good there than its a good deal. Again, I agree the majority of those folks are good people. Just I have managed to have found the not so good ones the last two times I have had to deal with them.

Ford dealers are very reasonable for maintenance. They have their 'Works' package which includes oil change with MC 5w-20 semi-syn, Motorcraft filter, and tire rotation for $40 or less. After 5 oil changes's you get the next one free. Sometimes they run $10 off specials too. You can't change your own oil for much less than that.

No reason not to use them when you are under the 5/60 warranty. I would check around for repairs, brakes and tires but you unlikely to need much during the warranty period.

I've had bad luck with some other brands like Subaru. Maintenance pricing is crazy with them, better luck with Toyota and Honda.

Last edited:
You need, for future reference, some idea what kind of dealer service department you have. A free oil change is a pretty painless way to learn something that will probably save you money in the future. Nobody says you can't spend 5 minutes in the driveway at home to check how they approached things and what they actually did.

Here, I'd take my GM product to one specific dealer, and my Mazda to the Mazda dealer, but the Mopars get independent garage service. Because I have visited those dealers and figured out who they are. You should too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
It's a time thing to me. The first few oil changes at my Toyota dealership took at least 1.5 hours. That was enough for me to head to JiffyLube or some other Quick Lube place. I can't be bothered to spend hours at the dealership. I'd rather pay $20 and be done in 20 minutes.

Ha ha, JiffyLube, you can't be serious! the reason you are in and out in 20 minutes is the old oil and filter are still in the car
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I drive it down there to show what had happened and they bring it back in to their shop, drop the oil and luckily, it just took a new drain plug to repair it.

How could the threads in the oil pan be fine if the drain plug was damaged?

Wait a minute . . . I bet they installed an oversized self tapping drain plug because the lube jockey cross threaded and stripped the original threads in the oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back