Undercover Investigation - Oil Change Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member here car51 just did an oil change for a female friend with a 2014 Ford which she has had the oil changed on twice since she bought it.

He pulled off the "FoMoCo" original build filter when he changed it for her.
06.gif

Looks like they did at least drain and fill the oil for her.

He has a pic hopefully he'll be along to post.

Originally Posted By: car51
bf25jn.jpg

This is the "FoMoCo" filter from the girlfriends lady friends daily driver 2014' EDGE

I see that you've followed the pictographic injunction against throwing this filter away.
When will you cut it?
That would be interesting to see, although I'm not sure how significant it would be, since we don't know who made it and the service filters aren't the same as the factory filters.

Guess I posted too soon without refreshing.
This looks like a Purolator filter, tears at the crimp and all.
It was run well beyond its intended service life, though.

There ware a few times when I just wasn't able to do my oil changes myself. I found a local Midas by my house that would do it for $10 with my supplied oil and filter. They even let me get under the car and look stuff over while it was on the lift. The manager told me that most of the locations would do it.

This is why I never ever let anyone change my oil and filter. Other horror stories are stripped out/cross threaded oil drain bolts or loose drain bolt that falls out. Scary stuff.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
SEARS EMPLOYEE SCAMMED MY DAUGHTER OUT OF AN OIL CHANGE.

I quit doing business with Sears years ago, when a friend of mine asked about getting a battery for his VW vanagon. I had a cast at the time (Broken ankle) so rather than picking up a battery, we rode up to Sears, paid, and left the car for an hour.

The next morning his wife calls me......Car will not start. I go over pull the cover over the battery (Behind driver's seat) and the battery says "Volkswagen" right on it.

I took the car back up to them (A 20 mile one way trip). The manager tells me I must be mistaken because the battery showed as having left stock. I figure the mechanic took it home.

Anyway, they changed the battery, (After telling me they figured I was scamming them for a second battery!) No apology. And I have not graced a Sears with my presence since.

I bought a 1980 Dodge Champ brand new. At 3000 miles, I was going to change the oil. I spent 30 minutes trying to break the drain plug loose. Gave up and took it to the dealer. Figured I would let him do the first oil change and break the plug loose for me.

At 6000 miles, went to change the oil. Couldn't break the drain plug loose. Got a long cheater bar and finally got it off. Never had trouble getting the drain plug loose afterwards. That told me the Dodge dealer never changed the oil. They had the same problem (couldn't break the drain plug loose). No way to prove it, though.

My old beater Elantra mainly had oil changes whenever those $19.99 coupons came in the mail. I did the last oil change myself right before selling it and noticed a dent in the oil pan. I know for a fact it wasn't there when I first bought the car so one of the grease monkeys over the years did a real number on the pan. Guess the oil pickup wasn't damaged because the car ran fine.

After that car, I learned to always do basic maintenance myself.

Always better to do it yourself when you can. You guys bringing your own oil and filter to your mechanic, you NEED to watch them closely also. Most of them will stick a nasty, dirty funnel into your valve cover and NOT clean it out first.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
You guys bringing your own oil and filter to your mechanic, you NEED to watch them closely also.

I'd be more afraid they'd pocket your expensive oil and fill your car with dealership/shop bulk.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: HM12460
You guys bringing your own oil and filter to your mechanic, you NEED to watch them closely also.

I'd be more afraid they'd pocket your expensive oil and fill your car with dealership/shop bulk.

They might and that's why I'd watch them.

The 'expose' was mostly about using the wrong oil viscosity, probably a cheap 10w-30 bulk oil, hardly an earth shattering event. Most dealers offer a lower cost service - our local Ford store charges about $30 - cheaper than the quick change places. Only a few are ridiculous - the Subaru store charges $80 for 5.5Q 0w-20 synthetic +filter but every dealer in our area will change oil for a $15 labor charge if you supply parts.

Sadly, the TV clip didn't cover the substandard filters most of them use.

Why would anyone bother to go to quick change places?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I do my own oil changes and enjoy doing them, but at 77 YO it is getting somewhat more difficult to do. When I am unable to do them I will first look for a friend recommended independent but, in no case will I go where I can't watch the person doing the work. Ed

Hire a neighborhood kid, pay them $20 and teach them how to do an oil change from your shop chair. May as well teach them how to check fluids and filters while you're at it. Bonus if he is a she.

[/quote]

The rain falls equally upon the just and the unjust.
I'd doubt that more than a small minority of these shops are dishonest ...
Caveat emptor. [/quote]

Respectfully disagree. For all others reading this, if you have friends, family who do not change their own oil AND filter, do them a favor. TEACH THEM how to be assertive at the oil change place, make the place show them the changing of the oil AND filter.
If it is not possible, do your friends and family a favor, scratch a mark in the oil filter for them, next time you see them, check the filter that it was changed.
Even if it was changed, you never know if it came off another car just before their oil change but most likely not as frequent.

Ill go out on a limb and tell you all right now, if you think your oil change place is honest, chances are slim you will be right. I say you have a 50/50 (at best) chance of getting an honest one. The more proactive you are, the MORE THE HONEST ONES will prosper, because they are honest.
Also, skip the expensive synthetic, chances are your not getting it anyway.

It WOULD BE GREAT if some people started doing this for friends and family (including your own mothers and fathers), then post the results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back