Penrite 10 Tenths vs Penrite HPR-10 for a WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this 02 WRX 3 weeks ago from a couple in their 50s that owned it since new.

I don't know enough about oils to tell which of these should protect my engine better so I am hoping someone here could give me some advice.

Where I live the temp never gets under 10c and its often 45c plus in the summer, Subaru recommend 10w40 for sustained high speed driving and for dusty areas (not sure what that has to do with it?).

My car had a new motor put in it last and it has about 80,000 km of highway driving on it already.

I'd like to go with Penrite because of the high zinc content as I have read it protects your engine better than oils with lower zinc content, that and its readily avalible at any automotive store across Australia.

I will be doing 5,000km oil changes (with genuine filters) myself, there is only a $10 price difference in the oils but I read somewhere that the 10 tenths doesn't have any detergent in it but the HPR-10 does. I'm not sure if that's accurate but would something with higher zinc content or something with detergent in it be more beneficial?

Also the 10 Tenths is a mix of group 4 and 5 synthetics while the HPR-10 is group 3.

I have a 20% off voucher at my local Repco but often get 30% off with my VIP card a few times a year, that will make it about $48 for the 10 Tenths and $37 for the HPR-10.

Links to the Penrite specifications for each oil:

Penrite 10 Tenths
Penrite HPR-10

I'd like the best protection for my engine, thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi,
ezarc - You don't mention which viscosity of the Penrite lubricants you're considering

Don't be moved by the advertising blurb however, and in your deliberations you could also consider two other excellent lubricants - Castrol's Edge 0W-40 and M1 0W-40

I'd go the racing personally...just more "stuff" for your dollar IMO.

I'm interested in the Repco 0W-40 that's made by Penrite, as I'd really like to see how it stacks up to Penrite's usual ad packs.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Don't be moved by the advertising blurb however, and in your deliberations you could also consider two other excellent lubricants - Castrol's Edge 0W-40 and M1 0W-40

I'll chime in here for a good 40 grade also. HPR 10w50 has a "standard" level of Zinc for an A3/B4 lube, it will not be superior to the recommendations above. Penrite only recommends 10w50 over a 40 grade because of their "extra 10" marketing. HPR 5w40 is the comparable option from them. Penrite Racing has normal levels of detergents so you can use it, but it's most likely overkill.

The cheaper Repco 0w40 maybe an option for short OCIs. It's A3/B3 rated so fairly decent and should have std levels of zinc also. Like Shannow said, a VOA/UOA would be nice.

Sorry for leaving out the info on oil I was considering, either 10w40 for the 10 Tenths or 10w50 for the HPR-10.

A lot of people have negative comments about Mobile 1 in a WRX but I see the most popular easily avalible oil for them in Australia is the Castrol Edge and in the US its Shell Rotella.

Castrol Edge for 0w40 is $85 (5L) before any discounts, would it have any advantage over the Penrite 10 Tenths?

I've always never used anything 0wXX before as I was under the impression that it would be too thin until its at temp? Using too thin of a oil in WRX's often cause them to spin a bearing according to 1,000s of posts about it. I do realize thin oils is good for cold starts though.

Thanks everyone so far for the replies, I won't be changing the oil until next weekend so there is still a lot of time to decide.

Originally Posted By: ezarc
I've always never used anything 0wXX before as I was under the impression that it would be too thin until its at temp? Using too thin of a oil in WRX's often cause them to spin a bearing according to 1,000s of posts about it. I do realize thin oils is good for cold starts though.

Any oil grade, even the thinnest 0W20, is too thick at start up and during warm up until it's at operating temperature.

Sorry for leaving out the info on oil I was considering, either 10w40 for the 10 Tenths or 10w50 for the HPR-10.

A lot of people have negative comments about Mobile 1 in a WRX but I see the most popular easily avalible oil for them in Australia is the Castrol Edge and in the US its Shell Rotella.

Castrol Edge for 0w40 is $85 (5L) before any discounts, would it have any advantage over the Penrite 10 Tenths?

Thanks everyone so far for the replies, I won't be changing the oil until next weekend so there is still a lot of time to decide.

Like what was said above, there is value in going with the 0W in many cases. Oil is always thinner when it is cold, so during a cold start, the 0W oil is thinner than the 10W oil, allowing it to flow faster (like to your turbo bearings!). Once the car is up to operating temp, the oil will be the same viscosity.

Obviously, that's just one facet in choosing your oil.

The issues with Mobil1 and bearings that you have read about are from running 30 grade oils with a low High Temp High Shear (HTHS), which are the most popular oils in the U.S. A 0W-40 that meets Euro manufacturer and ACEA A3/B3 specs has a higher HTHS than our typical Resource Conserving/low HTHS oils.

19.gif

-Dennis

I ended up going with the Penrite 10 Tenths Racing oil.

I was previously using ULX110 (not sure what viscosity the tuners use).

Now with the new oil the temp is always cooler, it used to sit on 1/3rd and now its just a hair over 1/4 when its at temp.

Interesting.
That's a profound difference from just a change of oil.

Out of curiosity.
Is that engine coolant temp, or oil temp?

Thanks.

Penrite looks to be a good oil, no typical BULL, they state the type of base oils used. i am interested in the 10-tenths since most of the Amsoil line is group III "synthetic" Dino base oils like most everyone else

Sadly, Summit dropped Penrite as quickly as they picked them up (as well as ANY/EVERY other U.S. based distributor).
frown.gif
mad.gif

I really WISH I could get some of their 70W-75 MTF without having to call, and have it shipped from Down Under!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back