2004 LeSabre broken speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speedometer in one of my Buicks is stuck on 130 mph. I was going to take it out and send it to one of the places on Ebay that rebuilds them. (About $ 80) A couple of questions...

Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the guage cluster ?

Are any of these rebuilders any better than the others ?

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Rockauto can sell you a new one if you're sending in your core.

The cluster is pretty easy to remove it has some trim pieces and some screws in tight places.

Get the blue plastic trim tools from HF, $5, they are great for prying the wood trim dash off without marring.

You'll have to put the shifter in Low, and work the whole loose thing around the column.

I restored a Century dash (similar, but different) by finding a surface-mount resistor that let go due to the new EPA solder.

Are you going to drive this thing without gauges while they get rebuilt?

I've done a few. Not too hard to remove. Google "2004 Buick Lesabre instrument cluster removal". A few hidden screws and some trim that just snaps out/in.

Once you get it out, if your good at de-soldering and re-soldering, you can buy GM stepper motors on Ebay cheap, around six bucks.

Mark (index) where the needles are. Pull the needles off with a kitchen fork. De-solder (I use a de-soldering wick) the stepper motor. Solder in a new one. Push gauge needles back on. Replace cluster. I've got it down to about a 3 hour job.

If your uncomfortable with the soldering aspect, maybe a local computer shop can remove and install the new stepper motors. I'd change all the steppers while the cluster is out. Learned this the hard way.
Joe

Thanks for the help. I found a guy on Ebay who will rebuild the assembly for $80.00. RockAuto wants $350.00 plus $300.00 core charge.

It took me 20 minutes to remove the cluster.

My only concern at this point is will it be as easy to put it back together as it was to take it apart. It appears that the harnesses at the top of the assembly have to be installed with some precision and you can't see them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know if it would be any help, but I do have the service manual for that car, but the problem is, I don't have a scanner to post the pages.

When you replace the cluster, the housing itself just plugs into a male/female type connector. You should hear/feel it snap into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back