Need Opinions: Take Car to Dealer for Free OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Fusion will need it's first oil change soon. The dealer has given me a free oil change. Should I go there or do it myself? I have the oil and filter already. I'm concerned the dealer will upsell on other work (rotate/balance tires, new wiper blades, etc.).

I had a problem with the car early on with the power windows. Took it there and they did nothing. Told me I didn't know how to operate a window switch. So I don't have a lot of confidence in this dealer's shop.

Since you have the oil & filter ready, seems like you were already leaning towards doing it yourself.

If the weather out is nice and you don't want to put up with stealership B.S., go ahead and do it yourself. As a bonus, you can admire the nice and clean undercarriage of a new car
smile.gif
This would also be a good time to rotate the tires.

Last edited:
I would let them change it, what they will put in there is good oil and will use a Motorcraft filter too-save the stuff you bought for next time.

They're trying to establish a relationship with you. It's doubtful at the first oil change you'll need anything. If you want to change it yourself, go ahead. But, if you think you might actually need them for something, like warranty work, this is a good way to get a sense of how they'll likely treat you moving forward.

And was the window switch really broken or did you not know how to use it?

Take the free oil change.
Watch them while they do it to make sure that they don't screw anything up.

Unless these guys are just a complete bunch of boobs(unlikely I'd think), I'd take the free stealer OC. Just tell them up front all you want is the oil and filter change. While no particular fan of dealers, free is free and in this case, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I've let the dealer do a complimentary OC or two, even took the local Honda dealer up on a $9.99 oil and filter change promo a few years back. My.02

Originally Posted By: Noey
They're trying to establish a relationship with you. It's doubtful at the first oil change you'll need anything. If you want to change it yourself, go ahead. But, if you think you might actually need them for something, like warranty work, this is a good way to get a sense of how they'll likely treat you moving forward.

And was the window switch really broken or did you not know how to use it?

Switch was broken. It's a known software glitch and the fix is to replace the Body Control Module ($$$). The problem comes and goes. Because they told me that I don't know how to work a window switch, they have already poisoned the "good relationship" well.

Do it yourself.. Unless you have any health problems. It is really fairly easy on the Fusion to do. I really enjoyed mine. Them chickenheads will find magical things wrong to get more money out of you.
I had to go by Nissan dealership for a part doing my spark plug change. Curiousity got the better of me and I asked service lady how much it would cost to do there. And magically I was told to change the valve cover gaskets as well. I have NO leaks period. I politely told her no I don't have any leaks or problems with it. She comes back and asks, " are you sure?". With a bit of an attitude in her response. I told her no again. I know my car very very well. I don't have any leaks at all. This is just a way for the shop to have picked up several hundred dollars off someone who doesn't know their car or what a valve cover gasket is. That's how they get peoples money.. By not either being aware of what's going on with their own car or even have any idea how things work and where they are.
Again, if you are doing well enough do that yourself. Keep all receipts
smile.gif

Yes. I let me dealer do the first oil change to establish a repore with the dealer. Get the service managers business card and make yourself known. A good first name bases can be worth a great deal in case you need future service. Worked for me. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Yes. I let me dealer do the first oil change to establish a repore with the dealer. Get the service managers business card and make yourself known. A good first name bases can be worth a great deal in case you need future service. Worked for me. Ed
I call the 800 number and politely talk to the manufactures customer service and tell them I am bringing my vehicle in for possible warranty work and I don't want to be screwed with . It always works.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
The dealer has given me a free oil change.

There's a reason why they do that.

Normally they do more damage than they fix. If you don't care that much about your car, its fine. If you're anal about your car, I wouldn't let anyone touch it unless you absolutely have to. My Mustang has not been back since I bought it 6 years ago. I don't even like anyone sitting their back end in my car seat.

The absolute ONLY thing someone other than me will ever do to my car is something that would require a lift (that is until I have one installed in my garage).

Take the free oil change. It's a new car, so there are very few things they can try and up sell you on. Just know they might try to, and politely say no, it'd be hard for them to push too hard on a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back