Snake Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones used by the manufacturer when formulating a fully formulated engine oil
wink.gif
LOL!

Something that prevents metal to metal friction under a heavy load?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Is there at least one engine oil additive that isn't snake oil ?

The Liqui Moly stuff is supposed to be the real deal.

I remember this stuff called Prolong back in the mid 90s. What exactly was it?? Seemed a really tiny bottle was like 20 bucks or so.

That is one of the functions oil is formulated to do....
21.gif
What exact scenario are you concerned about here? If you are running a high lift, fast ramp cam in a flat tappet application, there are a myriad of oils formulated for that purpose including M1 15w-50 and the HDEO's (diesel oils).

A small 4cyl truck with 240k miles, pulling 2,000 lbs in stop and go traffic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif
What exact scenario are you concerned about here? If you are running a high lift, fast ramp cam in a flat tappet application, there are a myriad of oils formulated for that purpose including M1 15w-50 and the HDEO's (diesel oils).

Gumout products work for me.

TC-W3 works for me.

Red Line PEA cleaners work very well too.

Sorry, disregard this post...

Last edited:
A small 4cyl truck with 240k miles, pulling 2,000 lbs in stop and go traffic.

21.gif

Then you'd be fine with whatever was spec'd from the factory for it, probably a basic 5w-30.

Then you'd be fine with whatever was spec'd from the factory for it, probably a basic 5w-30.

Everything from 5w-30 to 20w-50, temperature dependent.

Marvel Mystery Oil, Riselone, Liqui Moly, MOS2 and of course the obligatory Tufoil.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I personally have been very impressed with Lubegard products. I also use MMO in the gas sometimes and in my lawnmower and I would like to try Kreen someday. Trav, a professional mechanic, has used Kreen successfully.

But if an engine does not need cleaning just using high quality synthetic oil changed at reasonable intervals may be enough. It sort of depends on the make of car and the engine also. Some engines are more prone to sludge buildup than others.

Certain additives can be used as needed and they will work.
Things like Rislone, Kreen and Berryman's.
Rislone will free up sticky lifters, while there are threads here in which members have reported very good results with both Kreen and Berryman's in freeing stuck rings.
There is no reason to use any of these unless you have a specific problem that may be helped, though.
Better to try a solvent additive as a first resort when it may well work than to tear into the engine as a first effort.

I bought a can of Liqui Moly MOS2 today,and I will be adding that to my engine oil in the morning.

Could there be an application for specific oil additives with good reputation (as discussed by end users in this forum) that are used for 'preventive maintenance' and not to fix an existing problem?

Originally Posted By: SR1919
Could there be an application for specific oil additives with good reputation (as discussed by end users in this forum) that are used for 'preventive maintenance' and not to fix an existing problem?

Sure there is. Marvel Mystery Oil! Continuous easy cleaning that blocks the buildup of contaminants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back