Critic Blend 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why do you want to do this?
Why would one as anal as you are about caring for your car want to run a blend of oils with a completely unknown set of properties?
You don't know what grade you'll end up with and you don't know whether the blend will meet any reasonably current API spec.
I'd put this witch's brew in an old beater or use it for top-offs.
I would probably avoid putting it in any engine I cared much about.
Having written all of the above, I'm pretty sure that no mix of oils in the climate in which you live would do any harm.
You could probably use a mix of oils for the rest of the car's useful life and you might reduce the life of the Prius's engine by as much as two or three hundred miles.
You might also end up with some varnish, but you'll probably see that eventually anyway.

I'm trying to not be wasteful. Trust me, I gave this some serious thought.

But here's the mix that I ultimately ended up with:

0.6 qt Valvoline SynPower 0w-20
0.6 qt QS Ultimate Durability 0w-20
1.75 qt Toyota Synthetic 0w-20
0.5 qt Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20
1 qt SuperTech Synthetic 5w-20

crazy.gif

I can't say that I'm completely proud of running such a cocktail, but I am also proud of not wasting.

I will run it for 5,000 miles and then drain it for something more normal.

One cool experiment is to mix oils that we know contain every possible combination of additives and base oils.
Valvoline uses sodium, other oils use boron, moly, titanium. Then Redline is a POE oil, so include that. Then make sure there is some groupII and a PAO oil in there too.
OK maybe not a good idea.

I assumed that you were trying to get rid of some leftovers.
You already know that this mix isn't optimal, but in your climate, I wouldn't think that the occasional OCI using a blend of different oils would do any actual harm.
I'd hesitate to put this brew into any engine for an Ohio winter or an extended drain, but it would no doubt be okay for warm weather, shortish drain use.

Sometimes I think "The Critic" comes up with this stuff to keep his post count high.....

Originally Posted By: CKN
Sometimes I think "The Critic" comes up with this stuff to keep his post count high.....

It's been a while since I've posted something this ridiculous.

Have you seen otherwise? Please feel free to share.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd use it in a beater.

i agree. good enough for his prius.

Now that was just not very nice!
LOL

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd use it in a beater.

i agree. good enough for his prius.

Now that was just not very nice!
LOL

what do you mean? my prius is a beater relegated to slave work, 120 miles per day.

Originally Posted By: CKN

i don't think he needs to pad his post count lol 18k+ posts is certainly quite a few!

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
The UOA will be stellar most likely

As are most every frankenbrew used oil analysis I ever seen posted here.

But haters gonna hate

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Why do you want to do this?
Why would one as anal as you are about caring for your car want to run a blend of oils with a completely unknown set of properties?
You don't know what grade you'll end up with and you don't know whether the blend will meet any reasonably current API spec.
I'd put this witch's brew in an old beater or use it for top-offs.
I would probably avoid putting it in any engine I cared much about.
Having written all of the above, I'm pretty sure that no mix of oils in the climate in which you live would do any harm.
You could probably use a mix of oils for the rest of the car's useful life and you might reduce the life of the Prius's engine by as much as two or three hundred miles.
You might also end up with some varnish, but you'll probably see that eventually anyway.

I'm trying to not be wasteful. Trust me, I gave this some serious thought.

But here's the mix that I ultimately ended up with:

0.6 qt Valvoline SynPower 0w-20
0.6 qt QS Ultimate Durability 0w-20
1.75 qt Toyota Synthetic 0w-20
0.5 qt Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20
1 qt SuperTech Synthetic 5w-20

crazy.gif

I can't say that I'm completely proud of running such a cocktail, but I am also proud of not wasting.

I will run it for 5,000 miles and then drain it for something more normal.

Their all synthetic, 0w-20 except 1 5w, all meet API, I don't see an issue. With the Valvoline, you'll add some sodium, and with the M1 you'll add some magnesium to the mix. Should be fine.

umm...
There have been a few threads on the downsides of mixing as well as the limitations of API's compatibility standard.
There are potential problems, most of which involve potential loss of low temperature pupming performance.
It's likely that the blend will not be a OW-20 and may no longer meet the API standards that each oil meets individually.
Other than that, you're right, should be fine.
A mix is no more nor less than terrra incognita in terms of grade and standards met.

+1
Now you're getting it.
For a shortish warm weather run, I'd get rid of the leftovers.
I'd probably use them in one of our beaters though and not one of the newer cars.

To clarify, my point, most OTC oils have similar add packs. The exceptions are Mobil 1 with the magnesium. and Valvoline with the sodium. Some use boron, some don't. Some use moly, some don't. All use calcium, all must meet ZDDP limits on phosphorus to 600-800 ppm, all must fall into the same viscosity range..All the brands listed do that. All use compatible Group III and/or Group IV base stocks. I don't believe mixing them would throw the mixture out of API compliance,in fact, since all these oils meet SN, I would bet this mixture would as well. That said, I don't think anyone would mix such a blend other than to use up leftovers. The point is, it will do no harm.

There's some armchair experts on here who disagree.
With warm weather and a hot summer on the way,I think mixing is ok.
The only problem I have heard about is in very cold temperatures.
Mix away my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back