Win 8.1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a touchscreen with Win 8.1 installed and I cannot find how I can get the subset of popular programs (like clicking the round START in Win 7) nor the "ALL PROGRAMS" like I can in Win 7. If I want to find EXCEL for example, I need to do a search for it.

I can get to the Win 8.1 desktop, and can click the LL icon (left or right click) but there does not seem to be something like START then ALL PROGRAMS.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Microsoft removed the Start menu from Windows 8/8.1 and, in my opinion, navigation without it is disastrous.

Fortunately, there are both cheap and free fixes available. I have Start8 on my 8.1 computer at home, but I've used others, like Classic Shell.

Start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/

This. I can vouch for Classic Shell. I've been using it for a few years now and I really like it. It essentially brings back the classic start menu from Windows 7, but you can still view the metro tiles if you want.

Here is the simple excellent solution, go to www.iobit.com
once there click on products and select "Start menu 8", download and install then set it up as you want, best thing since BEER.

On the Start screen, you should see a downward pointing arrow in the lower left hand corner. Clicking this will show all installed Applications sorted by name.

This is the closest Windows 8 has to All Programs.

In Windows 10, it actually does say "All Apps" in the Start Menu, but I don't care for it, personally...it brings up an alphabetical listing of all your apps (without them being organized into folders, etc).

I'm sure all Start Menu developers already have their codebases modified as necessary for Windows 8/8.1 users to upgrade their software to Windows 10 versions when the retail version of 10 comes out this summer (AMD leaked "end of July" in a recent earnings call).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back