Are windshields rated for chip / crack resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder what the price diff between oem and non oem is??
best on a large ins co contract its not as much as you think, especially if bought from the oem supplier (not the dealer) like an ins co can do, but you can't

I think windshields just need to meet the applicable DOT/FMVSS rules for glass.

With that said, some glass is softer/more brittle than others. The OEM Asahi/AGC windshield on my parent's Prius is a tough bugger - so is the aftermarket PPG/PGW one I have in my car. The Subaru/Central Glass windshield in a friend's Forester chipped easily. I also notice Ford/Carlite(it's just a brand now, the DOT code reveals the maker) glass is tough.

I hear you. I had to have the factory w/s replaced on my 2014 Subaru in Nov 2014. On the first warm day in March 2015 a vertical crack appeared in the center, growing cowling up. Really annoying. I hate to file two glass claims within months of each other.

FWIW, the replacement is a Pilkington, with the heater grid for the "wiper de-icers".

Originally Posted By: JTK

FWIW, the replacement is a Pilkington, with the heater grid for the "wiper de-icers".

The Forester friend was adamant to replace his windshield with an OEM Subaru/Central Glass windshield after a tree fell on the roof of his car, only to have a stone hit it. I told him he would be fine with an aftermarket Pilkington or PPG/PGW windshield that wasn't made in China - basically anything that isn't FYG/XYG or Safelite.

I hear you. I had to have the factory w/s replaced on my 2014 Subaru in Nov 2014. On the first warm day in March 2015 a vertical crack appeared in the center, growing cowling up. Really annoying. I hate to file two glass claims within months of each other.

If there's no visible chip, it's possible they will replace it under warranty. That happened to my old Civic that had a crack occur a few months after a windshield replacement. They inspected it and found no external damage and replaced it.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
seems a lower slope on the windshield would cause less cracks than an upright windshield, like on a vw bug or a honda element both of which had flatter upright windshields

Elements are definitely known for glass chips/cracks. I have more than a few on my element, but I keep getting the chips filled as quickly as I can, I don't want to have to get an aftermarket replacement that may not be as good.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

If there's no visible chip, it's possible they will replace it under warranty. That happened to my old Civic that had a crack occur a few months after a windshield replacement. They inspected it and found no external damage and replaced it.

Thanks for that. I'm going to pursue it again. When I first noticed it, I took some pictures and emailed them to the local (small) outfit that did the replacement. I never heard back from them. I'll give them a phone call this time.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Let me compare to home toilets- they are probably rated to some plumbing standard. If you ask which flushes best you possible get told, "well they all meet the standard/regulation".
Then someone (not the government) started actually testing the flushing ability and you can look up a toilet model and see how much "poo" it will flush.

for windshields is there any test for chip resistance? my toyota oem windshield was great for 12 years, the replacement 2 years ago seemed to collect chips every 4 months even tho driven in same manner and on same route by same person.
. Is there any rating of chip resistance? my guess they are tested but the results are not published.
this last windshield is a safelite installed PGW brand. you would think there would be quality variations.

We had a LOT of issues with the PGW replacement on my girlfriend's 2001 Civic. The glass quality was extremely poor and we noticed that even right after being installed that the glass was warped (looks like a carnival mirror) and there were imperfections in between the panes of laminated glass. Within a few months it started to spread in between the two panes where it looks like spiderweb cracks in between the panes. My guess is that the PGW replacement of yours is just poor quality compared to OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back