why's it so difficult to buy tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with mclasser - Tire Rack is absolutely the best place to buy tires.

tirerack.com

Pick out the tire you want and when you check out you can see who can mount and balance the tires locally. Usually about $15-20 per tire for mounting and balancing. They ship the tires to whoever is going to do your mounting and balancing.

I saved a lot of $$$ the last time I bought my tires for my Volvo - I'll never buy tires anywhere else again.

Ed

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I hate buying tires.

I last shopped @ Town Fair Tire about 30 years ago. The guy is writing up my order, stops and answers the phone, and is now servicing the guy on the phone. Uh, no.

The more mature version of me would be talking to the mgr @ that point

Amen, I've never understood why businesses will stop talking to the money standing in front of them to maybe get someone money over the phone. I've walked out of stores that treat me that way. When, or if, the guy chases me down I say sell it to the guy on the phone.
Pet peeve
Smoky

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I agree with mclasser - Tire Rack is absolutely the best place to buy tires.

tirerack.com

Pick out the tire you want and when you check out you can see who can mount and balance the tires locally. Usually about $15-20 per tire for mounting and balancing. They ship the tires to whoever is going to do your mounting and balancing.

I saved a lot of $$$ the last time I bought my tires for my Volvo - I'll never buy tires anywhere else again.

Ed

I have never understood the appeal of Tire Rack. For me, all the local stores are at least the same price and sometimes cheaper than Tire rack on a per tire basis, not to mention the added cost of shipping the tire.

For example, I'm looking at tires for my Impala. Sam's Club and Discount Tire have the Michelin Defender for about 155.00. Tire Rack charges 152 per tire, PLUS 71.00 for shipping. Somehow the math just isn't adding up for me!
smile.gif

Not to mention - what if you have a problem with a tire? I like being able to drive to my local store and have the tire fixed or replaced.

Agree with oldmaninsc. I buy my tires at either Sam's or Discount Tire. I just tried to find some tires for my daughter in LA, and some of the "discount" chains don't even put prices on their website. They want you in their store to sell you what they have.

Discount Tire (America's Tire in CA, apparently) gives you total pricing and options with a few clicks, and states the price will be good for 30 days!

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I hate buying tires.

I last shopped @ Town Fair Tire about 30 years ago. The guy is writing up my order, stops and answers the phone, and is now servicing the guy on the phone. Uh, no.

The more mature version of me would be talking to the mgr @ that point

Amen, I've never understood why businesses will stop talking to the money standing in front of them to maybe get someone money over the phone. I've walked out of stores that treat me that way. When, or if, the guy chases me down I say sell it to the guy on the phone.
Pet peeve
Smoky

They figure the walk-in customer has already committed but if they pay attention to the phone prospect they, too, might come in.

It would be flattering for the service writer to politely acknowledge the walk-in, though.

Check out the DTD through ebay sale its 100$ off 4 tires + any manufacturer rebates.

just snagged some cooper cs5 ultra touring

235/55r17 W speed rating for 425$ (including tax and shipping)

They had other options such as the
General G-MAX AS-03 for 330$ in my size

Last edited:
When I had my tires slashed, I called Mavis and asked for a quote on two tires. This was a Saturday afternoon and I was out of town.

Monday afternoon, I got a call saying that I had missed my appointment and they wanted to reschedule.

They really wanted my business

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Tire Rack FTW

Yes, but only if you know someone who can mount them for you at a reasonable price. Most places will jack up their mount and balance rates if you bring in your own tires.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Tire Rack FTW

Yes, but only if you know someone who can mount them for you at a reasonable price. Most places will jack up their mount and balance rates if you bring in your own tires.

I buy up to several sets of tires every year and I can assure you that most major online retailers have a special deal at the local tire store near you. We have ordered from DTD and had the tires drop shipped to the local Tire Kingdom shop for free, paid 19.00 each for valve stems, mounting, lifetime balancing and rotations. Note that these were one ton load range E tires with metal stems, etc...

Tire Rack FTW

I ordered Winter tires there last Fall, it didn't exactly say "in stock" or "out of stock" but it did give a delivery date. A week later I got a call, they weren't going to make that delivery for an additional couple of months. Canceled.

No big deal, bought the same tires locally. I then ordered a set of Conti's last month from DTD, $100 off and free delivery, they were at my doorstep a few days later.

I would give TR a chance again if they had a really good deal, but only if I could afford a cancellation.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I have never understood the appeal of Tire Rack. For me, all the local stores are at least the same price and sometimes cheaper than Tire rack on a per tire basis, not to mention the added cost of shipping the tire.

I think Tire Rack makes the most sense economically when buying the wheels with the tires, some of those deals can be hard to beat locally.

What size are you looking for? Common sizes should be easy to buy unless there just isn't a lot of competition in your area.

I used Tirerack.com for my last purchase, but I used a manufacturer tire program through work, so it was discounted from that and had no shipping. Got my tires like a day or two later via FedEx or UPS.

If you live in even a small metro area, there should be a couple major distributors in the area that probably serve every tire shop around. Just keep trying places until you get one that will get back to you.

Unless you are after an odd ball size or brand, or unless you are really brow beating them on price (which it doesn't sound like you are - you're just trying to get a quote), this should be easy. I assume you're not shopping for a Z06 Corvette or something. But, if you are in a sparsely populated area, there may only be a few common sizes available right now and the shops you have contacted so far may not be interested in ordering for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
went to DT's site two days ago and placed an order for a set of tires. they were special order so the website stated that someone from the store would call me regarding availability and timeline. nobody has called or contacted me. if it's this difficult to get service BEFORE the sale - I can only imagine what type of headache is involved with problems after sale.... apparently the economy is too good.

It is very rare that your local DT didn't provide excellent customer services.

My local AT in So Cal always called within 4-5 hours after I placed online orders, either to confirm appointment or told me when they will have my tires.

I printed the lowest total I could get online, showed them and they always matched that price plus installation and tax. I got lowest possible price and excellent services from local store.

I ordered a set of Pirelli P7+ for my acura, at the DT store; that was mid march and I'm still waiting for them to come in. DT thinks they are waiting shipment until the rebate goes off.
Latest shipping info is the end of May.
What's up with that?

Smoky

I'll say I feel very fortunate to have b&m Discount Tire stores in my area. Since the mid 2000's when they opened a store nearby I've bought ~8 sets of tires from them and have found no reason to buy elsewhere. Price (including price match) and ime unmatched service including after the sale keeps me coming back.

Example, latest DT purchase last month during a DTDirect@ebay $100 off $400 promo set of 265/70R16 Cooper HTP's for a Tacoma. Documented the no tax/free delivery price from DTD@ebay. There was also a Cooper $50 rebate on that tire and $30 rebate for using DT Care One card. Went in to a now newer closer to me store. Mentioned price match with counter guy, asst. manager overheard conversation and quickly took over the negotiation. After some reasonable but firm negotiation to get the tax price and allowing some for installation LT balance/rotation, total price ~$478 not including rebates. So ~$100 a tire after rebate.

Made appt. for next morning (Sat) as tires were coming in on truck. In and out in balanced as new spare tire at no extra charge. Overall another excellent experience but what I've come to expect from DT. Not saying they are perfect (not aware of a place that is), but ime they consistently try to get right or make it right.

Fyi, same DTD@ebay $100 off $400 promo is on again thru 5/5, but currently with no DT CarCareOne card rebate.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I ordered a set of Pirelli P7+ for my acura, at the DT store; that was mid march and I'm still waiting for them to come in. DT thinks they are waiting shipment until the rebate goes off.
Latest shipping info is the end of May.
What's up with that?

Smoky

I had a situation a few years ago where the tire and size I wanted was back ordered and would not be in stock until after the rebate was over. The DT tire employee told me I could pay upfront, so I would qualify for the rebate. The DT employee said that if I changed my mind on the tires I could get a full refund, and pick another tire that was in stock.

I paid upfront for the tires and installation, got my receipt, and I mailed the proof of purchase before the rebate expired. I got the rebate, and the tires. DT is the only place I will shop for tires and wheels. The service at DT is well above most retailers, regardless of industry type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back