Best Filter Cost Is No Object?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva uses a Bosch 3330 oil filter as standard. The bike only gets about 4000 miles a year. I would like to use the best filter for the job considering build quality and fine filtration capabilities. This bike is a long term keeper so a few extra bucks on a filter isn't going to break the bank. Right now the best filter I know of is Amsoil, but there may be better choices.

I don't know if they make them in your size, but Fram Ultra filters have some excellent specs to them.

4,000 miles a year = 40,000 miles in ten years 80,000 miles in 20 years. Really!!!

Originally Posted By: carock
I would like to use the best filter for the job considering build quality and fine filtration capabilities.

XG3614. Better yet, it's available locally for under $9.

All I buy are ultras, cheap and great quality.

If it some day fails (*knock on wood/fingers cross) I will stop using them

Doing 5K interval same as u

Last edited:
Motorcycle filters tend to have thicker shells since they sometimes come in contact with debris, pebbles, gravel, stones...

Filter location? covered or recessed? room for 1" longer oversized?

That Bosch 3330 is a pretty good filter. It's all I run on Harleys and they hold up real well and give good filtration. I would not discount it at all.

The Amsoil filters are very similar to the Ultras in efficiency but they are black still I think. The differences are that Amsoil used a thick single layer of media and Fram use two layers sandwiched together. Amsoil is 98.7% efficient at 20 microns vs Fram Ultra which is 99%+

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: carock
I would like to use the best filter for the job considering build quality and fine filtration capabilities.

XG3614. Better yet, it's available locally for under $9.

I'm using an XG3614 on my '89 Electra Glide per recommendation by Motorking. They are great filters and there's a $2 rebate right now from Fram.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Fram ultra is a wire backed synthetic media.. Pretty good stuff.
IMO, there is no better filter for the money. Hopefully Fram has one to fit your situation.

If not, look for either a Fram TG, Mobil One, Royal Purple or a Pureolator PureOne.

Originally Posted By: CT8
4,000 miles a year = 40,000 miles in ten years 80,000 miles in 20 years. Really!!!

I know.....I bought a Royal Enfield 500c for commuting and I like it so much the Guzzi just sits there most of the time! I have to plan some more long trips.

I have one right here, Bosch 3330, it is for daughters Camry v6, very common size. I used to use them all the time. Cost no object and black, how about Mobil 1-102. I have used that one on the Camry before. The Bosch is on the shelf because of the tearing issue. I'll probably donate it. On a motorcycle maybe the oil pump is too small to stress the media. But you have a MOTORCYCLE it looks like. Chances are the Bosch is OK but I am not taking chances with it. I also liked the Bosch D +, and to my eye the oil looked cleaner with same oil and use. That's an upgrade to the 3330.

Best Royal Purple 10-2835 and Jegs will ship it free Order some Red line along with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Best Royal Purple 10-2835 and Jegs will ship it free Order some Red line along with it.

What's so special about the RP? Do you know the filtration specs on it?

Ed

If you suspect a rock attack may occur, use the D+. It has the toughest can of the high end filters by far .

I've been putting oversized FU's on all of our Yamaha bikes, and no problems. One is a Super Tenere that routinely sees serious off road use. No can puncture issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back