fuel additive for removing carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a jeep with a 5.2 V8 with 170k on it that has detionation at around 1500 rpm and im cosidering carbon build up in the chamber to be possibly the problem(swtiching to a higher octane fuel the knock goes away)...
I have used alot of diffrent fuel cleaners in the past but nothing really gets rid of the knock. Im now using berrymans B12 and I like how its running on it so far but I dont plan on using often as it is very potent. Not sure if MMO would be good to use every fill up or not as I have also run a bunch of that threw as well.
Any ideas?

Motorcraft carburetor tune up cleaner, part number pm3 in a pour top can, follow directions on can and then perform an Italian tune up.

Last edited:
Im going to try amsoils power foam and Berrymans combustion cleaner. I did try some water in a spray bottle for about 5 minn with the engine at 2000 rpm but the knock is still there under load at 1500 rpm.
I would like to do a piston soak but with it being a V8 is a pain in the [censored] so im hoping I can get some of that power foam in there an let it sit for a good 1/2 hour on a hot engine.
An oil change is in order as well after the power foam.

Originally Posted By: minis
Run a can of bg 44k in the gas and see how effective it does at cleaning the combustion chamber

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/

This would help to

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-throttle-body-intake-cleaner/

x2. BG products will definetely go through any carbon that may be in there. It isn't that expensive either. My local BG shop of choice actually gives a discount when you do 5 or more services at the same time.

I ordered kreen to be added to the fuel and see what that does never used the stuff..
I did use the amsoil power foam to clean the intake and I was impressed with how much [censored] was in there. I used the whole can and I plan on doing a cleaning once a year as it also cleans the intake valves and combustion chamber.
I have yet to test to see if the spark knock went away but I did get some mid grade fuel that I may just use from here on out with MMO and kreen every once and a while in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Kreen stops carbon knock very quickly and effectively...

How many oz of kreen do I add per gallon of gasoline? I use LC20 in the oil for now.

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Kreen stops carbon knock very quickly and effectively...

How many oz of kreen do I add per gallon of gasoline? I use LC20 in the oil for now.

We use it exactly as it is labeled, two cups in the oil and 2 cups in the fuel tank. In our fleet trucks that is a little less than one ounce per gallon.

Kreen cleans our fixed orifice PCV systems that can get problematic at high mileages as well.

Stops carbon knocking in one tank or less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back