Corolla will now be built in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
He's pretty good about posting something asinine, but never backing it up. All bark you might say..

I use to wonder if he was being a troll, but I think he actually believes the things he posts.
21.gif

If you do not like my opinion, move along friend, no need to make a fuss about someone who doesnt agree with you, it sounds like whining.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You haven't hit a nerve, you've hit the wall.
Have you ever even been to Mexico?

I've been there several times. Even though SOME things are
cheaper than the USA many others are as expensive or more expensive than here. Sure a few plant workers can buy a car, but like another poster mentioned it is like buying an S Class Mercedes in relative terms.

Mexico is a poor, extremely corrupt country, with a poorly educated
populace as well. The main reason greedy companies are moving there as opposed to Canada and the US is that they can pay off corrupt officials VERY easily to get their way.

Add to that a generally very docile workforce that are used to being treated poorly in the workplace, and even allowing employees to be threatened with violence when they go against the wishes of their employers.

So moving some manufacturing to Mexico which will create what are locally considered stable, good paying jobs and which will in turn help to relieve the economic privations of the country is somehow a bad thing?
This does not compute.

Well look at the buying power of the average American worker. Why are food stamps, or the cards they use in place of them, at an all time high? And you have to look at different areas of the U.S. While the average salary of a New Yorker oar someone from the Frisco Bay area can be in the $100K range, the average salary of someone in Rocks Throw, Midwest is usually in the mid 30K - 40K range. How much, or little, a Mexican worker makes is relative to the perspective you have and the cost of living they deal with.

Similar thing goes on in cross country commercial trucking wages here in the U.S. Many decry that one can't make it on the "poverty" incomes that trucking fleets pay. Well, that would be somewhat true, if you are residing in L.A. Frisco, NY, or D.C. But if you are living in, say, Iowa, you would be doing pretty good, above the average income, compared to many of your neighbors.

Some have said, that a Mexican worker at a auto plant only makes about $4 an hour. Well, when a complete sit down meal in a restaurant in Mexico only costs about $2, how does that compare to say, an American worker that is making $20 per hour, but they can hardly walk out of a fast food joint spending under $10? And America has the highest corporate tax rate in the entire world, so that goes into the pricing for the consumer, then throw on sales taxes, property taxes, license plate taxes, fuel taxes, and a million other ways the government takes what you earn, and the buying power of the American consumer is not all that much better than quite a few other places on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back