2014 Ram Pentastar V-6 Red Line 5w-20 Break In Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back my Blackstone lab report on my 2014 Ram 1500 with the Pentastar V-6 engine.

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500

Transmission: 8 speed automatic

Rear End: 3.55 anti-spin

Engine: Pentastar 3.6 liter V-6

Oil: Red Line 5w-20 synthetic

Oil Filter: Mopar MO-349 cartridge style filter

Miles on engine: 6,270

Miles on Oil: 4,902

Make up Oil: 0

Comments: This is a really good first report for your Ram. About 25% of the silicon in this sample is from the Red Line oil, and residual sealers from the wear-in account for the rest of the elevated level in this report. Wear-in also accounts for the higher iron and copper, and you should start to see these elements improve over the next few oil changes, although copper can take a long time to read close to universal averages. That column shows typical wear for this type of engine after an oil run of about 7,100 miles. The TBN was strong, so run close to that interval and check back.

Aluminum 4 Universal Averages 4

Chromium 1 Universal Averages 1

Iron 45 Universal Averages 22

Copper 193 Universal Averages 41

Lead 1 Universal Averages 0

Tin 0 Universal Averages 0

Molybdenum 463 Universal Averages 75

Nickel 1 Universal Averages 1

Manganese 11 Universal Averages 5

Silver 0 Universal Averages 0

Titanium 0 Universal Averages 3

Potassium 7 Universal Averages 3

Boron 52 Universal Averages 42

Silicon 42 Universal Averages 12

Sodium 12 Universal Averages 66

Calcium 2838 Universal Averages 2173

Magnesium 8 Universal Averages 194

Phosphorus 1049 Universal Averages 853

Zinc 1027 Universal Averages 805

Barium 0 Universal Averages 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 52.5 Values Should Be 52-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.02 Values Should Be 7.9-11.1

Flashpoint in F 430 Values Should Be >385

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0 Values Should Be 0.0

Water 0.0 Values Should Be
Insolubles% TR Values Should Be
TBN 5.4 Values Should Be >1.0

Sadly they can only be serviced by the dealer as they have no dip stick so they have to have it attached to their system to get a proper fill. But I have to say the eight speed is really nice and this V-6 feels just as strong and even a little stronger than my 2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi I traded in for this truck.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
Sadly they can only be serviced by the dealer as they have no dip stick so they have to have it attached to their system to get a proper fill. But I have to say the eight speed is really nice and this V-6 feels just as strong and even a little stronger than my 2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi I traded in for this truck.

The previous NAG1 5-speed didn't have a dipstick, but it has a dipstick TUBE and you can certainly maintain it yourself. I think the 8HP is the same (tube but no stick) although I could be wrong as I haven't been around them much yet.

With the NAG1, you ran a dipstick "tool" (you could use a very long generic engine dipstick) into the tube until it bottomed out in the pan. Pull it out, take a reading in millimeters from the end of the stick to the fluid level. Use the dash readout or a scan tool to measure the trans oil temp, and then look up the proper level in a temp-vs-level table from the factory service manual (the table has also been posted online a number of places).

Darn edit time expired while I was looking for info.

Apparently there is indeed no tube on the ZF 8 speed. Bummer. I found references to a detailed fluid level measurement procedure in a chrysleracademy PDF, but couldn't find the document being referenced. Grrr..

Trying to figure out this code stuff to post oil samples.

Code:

Make/Model: 2014 Ram 1500

Engine: Pentastar 3.6 Liter V-6

Oil Type: Red Line 5w-20 Synthetic

Comments: This is a really good first report for your Ram. About 25% of the silicon in this sample is from the Red Line oil,

and residual sealers from wear-in account for the rest of the elevated level in this report. Wear-in also accounts for the

higher iron and copper, and you should start to see these elements improve over the next few oil changes, although copper

can take a long time to read close to universal averages. That column shows typical wear for this type of engine after an

oil run of about 7,100 miles. The TBN was strong, so run close to that interval and check back.

MI/HR on Oil 4,902

MI/HR on Unit 6,270

Sample Date 04/17/15

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

Sample Universal Averages

Aluminum 4 4

Chromium 1 1

Iron 45 22

Copper 193 41

Lead 1 0

Tin 0 0

Molybdenum 463 75

Nickel 1 1

Manganese 11 5

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 3

Potassium 7 3

Boron 52 42

Silicon 42 12

Sodium 12 66

Calcium 2838 2173

Magnesium 8 194

Phosphorus 1049 853

Zinc 1027 805

Barium 0 0

Sample Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 52.5 52-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.02 7.9-11.1

Flashpoint in F 430 >385

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0 0.0

Water% 0.0
Insolubles% TR
TBN 5.4 >1.0

ATF overflow plug instead of dipstick... always a way to check, drain, refill, top off, ... that ATF.

I would definitely check the ATF level. I have seen too many of these dipstickless transmissions underfilled, and ignored by dealer prep and dealer quicklube checklists stating otherwise.

What was there to gain by such an early UOA ? Or using Redline oil ? It is your money but I just wonder.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
ATF overflow plug instead of dipstick... always a way to check, drain, refill, top off, ... that ATF.

I would definitely check the ATF level. I have seen too many of these dipstickless transmissions underfilled, and ignored by dealer prep and dealer quicklube checklists stating otherwise.

That is a great point. I ended up making a dipstick for my Liberty which has the fill tube but no dipstick. I would have gladly paid Chrysler the money they saved eliminating the dipstick to have one. LOL

I was rabidly opposed to the dipstickless transmissions when they first appeared. Then it occurred to me- why should an automatic really be any different than a manual? Either one could leak and lose fluid, if it does you will know it, and manuals have always had one drain plug and one fill plug on the side and we never complained about that. In fact its brain-dead simple to get the level right. And on top of all that, it turned out that with the NAG-1, the dipstick TUBE seal at the transmission case was the most common place to develop a leak, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back