Rigged up air filter housing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the engine air filter in my 2006 Accord a couple days ago, after installing I checked for fitment issues and found this...
20150422_1807271_zpsnr1bgwwn.jpg

So today after washing / detailing the car / engine bay I rigged up this little contraption...
20150424_1020491_zpsv0jwrvsq.jpg

20150424_1020561_zpshabx9ist.jpg

20150424_1021001_zps3a7b5s5i.jpg

Its just a rolled up wash cloth with a strand of rubber bands holding it on and applying light pressure...do you think this will do any good until the replacement part arrives?

I used Zaino AIO (light compound with built in protection) and topped with Meguiars Ultimate Spray.

20150424_0903421_zpspcsjkgdn.jpg

20150424_1008381_zpsslwzsqyy.jpg

Did you break it while putting in the air filter?

If not, I assume it was working fine before, so no real need to do anything in the mean time. To be honest, I would be more worried about a rubber band or the towel coming loose on a bump and getting stuck in something. I know the serpentine belt is on the left side of a K24, so not too much to get caught on on the right.

Nice work wiping down the engine bay, btw!!

From what I see, I believe the hole is below the air filter level. Am I right? If so, there's probably not much to worry about, as that comes BEFORE air gets past the filter. It still needs a more permanent fix, though.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
From what I see, I believe the hole is below the air filter level. Am I right? If so, there's probably not much to worry about, as that comes BEFORE air gets past the filter. It still needs a more permanent fix, though.
The crack is on the clean side of the filter, so it could be ingesting dirt.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Now I've seen it all. Even as a temporary repair, that is ridiculous.

Haha, well I don't have any duct tape or electrical tape so this was my only option. The part should be in in the next two weeks.

Just leave it as it was, probably been like that for years anyway. You'd have to be driving through a dust storm for it to suck anything in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back