*Don't Fall For Shaddy Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what kinds of compounds are used as a buffer in motor oil (amines?) for TBN retention, but whatever they are I bet the oil would perform identically in the wear test with or without the additive. Much like if you tested an SA oil. It would be easy to test, just take a sample and titrate it until the sample no longer neutralizes the acid, then test the oil in the apparatus.

Do gear oils even worry about TBN? I wouldn't think they do, and I bet they perform well in this test. That alone would prove that TBN retention additives (whatever they are) play no meaningful role in the wear test.

Originally Posted By: GemStater

I imagine that these parts store employees have been manipulated to believe through bearing tester that only Schaeffer oil with its Micron Moly® and Penetro® provide boundary layer protection.

No manipulation needed. Schaeffers Micron moly and penetro DO provide boundary lubrication.

salesrep, but the crux of the thread is ... do you consider travelling salesmen with a timken machine accurately reflects that, and the position of Schaeffers ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
salesrep, but the crux of the thread is ... do you consider travelling salesmen with a timken machine accurately reflects that, and the position of Schaeffers ?

Exactly.

The timken bearing machine is an excellent tool for ethical salesmen to educate consumers on boundary lubrication, base oils, thickening agents, ep additives,friction modifiers, friction and more.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Do gear oils even worry about TBN? I wouldn't think they do, and I bet they perform well in this test. That alone would prove that TBN retention additives (whatever they are) play no meaningful role in the wear test.

Hi,
TAN is a significant condemnation factor in gear oil use with an increase of 2 over new lubricant being a typical change out number

Originally Posted By: salesrep
The timken bearing machine is an excellent tool for ethical salesmen to educate consumers on boundary lubrication, base oils, thickening agents, ep additives,friction modifiers, friction and more.

You don't seriously believe that?

This quote from the OP lays it out perfectly:

Quote:
A PhD chemist that headed Research & Development for ExxonMobil Chemical once said that, “the only test for an engine oil is an engine.”

Which is why OEM's use expensive engine tests. Which is why sequences like IVA are done using.... an engine. And the list goes on and on.

Engine tests are expensive. But they are the only real way to demonstrate how well a lubricant behaves in use.

LOL spoken like a true salesman!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

LOL spoken like a true salesman!

LOL Does Schaeffer's use them to sell oil too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back