HM oil with BEST seal conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that all HM oils have some form of seal-conditioner in them to try to stop seal leaks, usually an ester to swell seals.

Just wondering if anyone has studied or found which one is 'best' or most effective...or are they all the same one?

Are any HM oils using a lot more seal conditioner than others, or do they all use a similar amount?

This is probably difficult info to find out, but curious if anyone has any ideas...

Valvoline Maxlife blend (red bottle) has worked well for me and a few of my buddies on slowing RMS leaks. Mobil 1 High Mileage was not effective for me.

Im not sure which one is the best or which one has the most seal conditioners but i always had luck with pennzoil high mileage. Max life was the first i believe...

Not sure which HM oil has the most conditioner in it, but ATP AT-205 Reseal is the pure stuff in concentrated form and yields excellent results with any quality oil.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im pretty sure the max life is a synthetic but i could be wrong

Comes in both a blend and syn...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Smitty's hm stopped the leaks and oil burning in the wife's Tahoe in less than one oci
must be it's high viscosity, I have 4 qts and it seems pretty thick for a 10w30.

In my experience, Valvoline Maxlife and Pennzoil High Mileage have both stopped leaks effectively. M1 HM did nothing for the leak in the Firebird, but Pennzoil HM stopped it completely.

FWIW Valvoline pioneered high mileage oils, and many users including myself have had good results with Maxlife. If I had to pick a favorite for slowing leaks it would be Maxlife.... If I wanted the longest OCI I would use Mobil 1 High Mileage.

Iv always used MaxLife as my go to High Mileage oil. Its always treated me well. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

Use what readily available and what you feel is a good price

In the Firebird in my signature, MaxLife seems to have worked better for me at slowing down my leaks/drips better than Quaker State DEFY. Though, I did like the strangly smoother/quieter operation of the DEFY!

Last edited:
Fact: No one knows how much or what type of seal conditioners are in any oil. This thread is, and will be nothing more than, "What I use is the BEST"!

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Smitty's hm stopped the leaks and oil burning in the wife's Tahoe in less than one oci
must be it's high viscosity, I have 4 qts and it seems pretty thick for a 10w30.

Smittys

I have tried just about every HM oil in numerous different cars and I have had the best luck slowing leaks with PYB HM... If you want better leak repair/prevention, then add a bottle of "Motor Oil Saver" to your OCI. Remember, it may take a few OCI's to slow down a leak with just about any HM oil. Defy and Mobil 1 HM never helped with any leaks in my vehicles.

We love maxlife, either variety seems to be an excellent oil. Makes old engines run quietly and stops most small leaks.

Does not fix anything though....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back