Napa Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Nothing "low-end" about the Napa filter. It is a very good, robust filter (just not a premium pricepoint filter).

+1

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Nothing "low-end" about the Napa (Silver) filter. It is a very good, robust filter (just not a premium pricepoint filter).

Some of us consider nitrile ADBV filters low-end. On 2nd thought, perhaps maybe most of us....

As promised here are the photos of the Napa can that crushed during removal from my neighbors mustang. It did not seem to be over tightened during install by the local shop (jiffy lube or something I guess) and it came off after the use of an oil filter wrench (akward angle required tool for easy removal.) The can was so deformed that I was unable to remove the filter element, only the top cap. I believe that the dings toward the bottom of the filter are from rocks or road debris. Enjoy.

Not sure if it did or not. I mostly provided the tools and watched my neighbors mess with it. I did watch the cans wall deform as soon as any force was applied to it during removal though.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
As promised here are the photos of the Napa can that crushed during removal from my neighbors mustang. It did not seem to be over tightened during install by the local shop (jiffy lube or something I guess) and it came off after the use of an oil filter wrench (akward angle required tool for easy removal.)

How would you know if it wasn't over tightened or not unless you saw it go on?

Based on how hard it seemed to get this one off, I'd say it was probably over tightened a bit. It seems all filters are harder to get off then they are going on - something you can tell if you install and remove the filter by hand. So if a filter is over tightened upon installation it makes it even worse when it's time to remove it. It's also possible the place that changed it didn't lube the base gasket either.

There were unkown miles on the filter and what was described as being on there for, "about 6 months...maybe 8...maybe a year...its been a while..."
eek.gif

But realistically the amount of time the filter was in service should not have weakened the can as much as it did.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Does WIX use the same can for all of their filter lines?

As far as I know they do, and as a filter cutting addict I can tell you they are on the thick side of most manufacturers.

I have no idea what really led to the disaster above but I have too much first hand experience with them to be concerned. Something happened anyway....that much we know.

I have the same model on my Jeep right now except the Silver version 31516 it has become my favorite entry level filter for my picky Jeep.

The Silvers all use nitrile, my cutting suggests they are stiffer than most ADBV's and for whatever reason I get better starts with them than just about any filter I have tried, including some that cost more than double what a Silver does.

They are not extended use filters though IMO although they will certainly not come apart if pushed far, typical stout Wix construction even for 3 bucks.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
This is NOT a silver,it's a ProSelect which is the cheapest NAPA filter.

That's what I was about to say. The NAPA Silver filter is well constructed ... typical stout construction that is characteristic of Wix filters.

I have never used a NAPA ProSelect filter ... so, I don't know how well built they are.

This is NOT a silver,it's a ProSelect which is the cheapest NAPA filter.

Yes I know that, Pro Selects are sold as "jobber" filters and Silvers as budget consumer filters. The only difference between the two is the paint job.

Ironically if you time it right Silvers can often be had for a bit less than ProSelects.

Heck that "parts master" I cut from friends HEMI Ram looked good and for around $4~ i think it looked well and probably could have done 9k. KCJeep, so in your book does the Silver do better than MC filter or same?

I thought the Silver was a better made filter than the ps.
Are you sure they are the same?

No, not positive but they sure "look" identical in all respects other than paint and you get a box with a Silver. If anyone knows of a real difference I'd sure be interested to know. But I use Silvers, LOTS of them, anyway.

It would probably cost Wix more money to have subtle differences in manufacturing between the two than they would save in any little cost cutting modifications IMO. Volume on the ProSelects and Silvers must be tremedous.

Originally Posted By: car51
KCJeep, so in your book does the Silver do better than MC filter or same?

The Silvers work even better than the Motorcraft at start up on my picky Jeep, but I'd still run a Motorcraft in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back