paw catalog ( performance automotive warehouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have and old paw catalog laying around. I'm giving a kid a 302 i built 10 years ago and never started.
I have a 302 timing chain set from paw its a number 508. I think its a 4 degree cam advanced chain but i'm not sure. I dont remember if its 8 degree crank and 4 degree cam advance when installed straight up.

Thanks

Last edited:
Get a degree wheel and check the timing of the cam so that you know what it really is. Even if you have a 0-degree timing set, it's not necessarily going to put the cam at 0 degrees.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Get a degree wheel and check the timing of the cam so that you know what it really is. Even if you have a 0-degree timing set, it's not necessarily going to put the cam at 0 degrees.

I was going to post almost exactly that same thing, but it wasn't what the OP asked so I held off. Since you brought it up....you are 100% right. If you are putting together engines a degree wheel is one of the most basic tools required. I can count on one hand the number of cams I bought over the last 32 years that were actually where they were supposed to be. Its not just the cams, but the timing chain variations as well with aftermarket units. The one that sticks out was my dad's 460 in his motor home. I rebuilt it and upgraded the cam to something more modern/efficient Checked cam timing and it was 9 degrees retarded. Cam was off 5 degrees, timing chain was retarded 4 degrees (as was often the case on smog 460s). That would have killed the low end torque on that engine and made it a gas hog, well a bigger gas hog, than it already was.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I was going to post almost exactly that same thing, but it wasn't what the OP asked so I held off. Since you brought it up....you are 100% right. If you are putting together engines a degree wheel is one of the most basic tools required. I can count on one hand the number of cams I bought over the last 32 years that were actually where they were supposed to be. Its not just the cams, but the timing chain variations as well with aftermarket units. The one that sticks out was my dad's 460 in his motor home. I rebuilt it and upgraded the cam to something more modern/efficient Checked cam timing and it was 9 degrees retarded. Cam was off 5 degrees, timing chain was retarded 4 degrees (as was often the case on smog 460s). That would have killed the low end torque on that engine and made it a gas hog, well a bigger gas hog, than it already was.

I use the lift @ TDC method (as advocated by my cam grinder) but yeah, unless you measure, you really have no idea where you are when at "0"
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back