Mobil l 0w20 in 2014 CX5 with fuel smell in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil was changed in Dec.2014 and run four months during the cold weather.
I checked the oil and had a strong smell of gas. It only had about 2400 miles
on it, so i sent a sample off to see if i had a problem.This was the results.

Yet another reason to:

A) Not believe that the color or smell dictates anything in "most" cases.
B)Get UOA's done to give the owners and the rest of us good information! Well done.

Right, with almost 2500 miles on the oil, this oil has a loooooong way to go before it's used up. I've never had a vehicle's oil that didn't smell like fuel! Great Report!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Right, with almost 2500 miles on the oil, this oil has a loooooong way to go before it's used up. I've never had a vehicle's oil that didn't smell like fuel! Great Report!

When the oil has the smell AND the consistency of gas, then you have something to worry about. Not too likely if you don't have a carburetor .

Z

I'm going to flip this around, That oil is showing fuel dilution. Its almost excessively thin and has a low flashpoint.

If it gets too thin you can have excessive wear.. this didn't happen in your case.

IF you had ran it another couple of months who knows.

Its why winter low mileage driving is considered severe service..
My car has a 3000mile 3month severe service interval which I follow in the winter with my 1mile commute Even though the gas burns off on the weekends during my 30-100 mile trips it the oil will still be changed and show the effects of fuel dilution.

And in your case many of the new DI engines are known to produce awful fuel dilution.. which limits extended intervals.

Some cars can go 12000miles on any oil.. others not so much.

Last edited:
I thank you all for your replies,at 81 years old
i'm not to old to learn.............Thank You. Gordon

Originally Posted By: Rand

My car has a 3000mile 3month severe service interval which I follow in the winter with my 1mile commute Even though the gas burns off on the weekends during my 30-100 mile trips it the oil will still be changed and show the effects of fuel dilution.

You drive one mile to work?

Originally Posted By: Pesca

You drive one mile to work?

That brings back memories of when I was stationed in New Jersey and lived in base housing. I was .8 miles from work and either walked or rode my bicycle majority of the time, even in the winter. I could be walking in the building by the time the car warmed up, lol.

Another example of Blackstone under reporting the % fuel. There is no doubt fuel in this oil sample, flash and viscosity say so. As a result I would be cautious with extending intervals.

Originally Posted By: gner
I thank you all for your replies,at 81 years old
i'm not to old to learn.............Thank You. Gordon

God Bless You My Brother!

Originally Posted By: pbm
With 6.9 TBN remaining I'm thinking this oil could do 10K in your application.

You might want to check warranty requirements on your 2014 vehicle before you start doing 10K OCIs.

I'm going to flip this around, That oil is showing fuel dilution. Its almost excessively thin and has a low flashpoint.

I'm confused.

Blackstone comments: "We also found a normal flashpoint and viscosity"

Is "excessively thin" the new "normal"?

I'm not an oil analyst, I'm just asking.

The only fix for your fuel dilution is running premium unleaded (91+octane) if you want to fix it.

Nothing has shown it to be overly damaging at this point but your oil is VERY thin. I think this is not even a W20 anymore based on the new viscosity ratings coming out.

7 cSt is not excessively thin for a 20 GRADE. You guys are too used to marginal 30 grade 20's
smile.gif

He could awlays dump a qt and sub in some 10w30 M1 or similar.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
7 cSt is not excessively thin for a 20 GRADE. You guys are too used to marginal 30 grade 20's
smile.gif

He could awlays dump a qt and sub in some 10w30 M1 or similar.

Even thin 20 weights should stay in grade.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Even thin 20 weights should stay in grade.
Is it actually out of grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back