For those of you who rent cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be taking a trip to visit some friends next weekend, instead of putting another 1000 miles on my Accord we will be renting a car from Enterprise. I got a decent deal by going into the store to book the car vs booking online. I chose a "standard" size car because I didn't want to be stuck in an Accent, Versa or something similar. The trip will be 10 hours 1 way so I want to be comfortable. Seeing as rental car companies see car classes differently, do any of you who regularly use Enterprise know what kind of car I should expect in the "standard" category? Hoping its a Malibu/Chrysler 200 or something similar.

Enterprise web site says Standard = VW Jetta or similar.
Next step up is Ford Fusion or similar. I didn't check pricing, but sometimes stepping up to the larger car doesn't cost much.

This is off their web site, where they explain the various car types and provide an example of each.

Our experience with Enterprise varies by the office. Overall, I had good experiences on business, renting at airports, and near my office. My wife had a horrible experience in Baltimore at one of the downtown locations because they didn't really have a car available at the time indicated. She was on a restricted timeline, so their inability to provide a car as promised at the time indicated grated on her.

Last edited:
When I last rented Enterprise I went through Costco, booked fullsize, you get one free class upgrade from that when you go in, but Malibu was fullsize class, so took it. I should have booked one class lower through Costco.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Enterprise web site says Standard = VW Jetta or similar.
Next step up is Ford Fusion or similar. I didn't check pricing, but sometimes stepping up to the larger car doesn't cost much.

This is off their web site, where they explain the various car types and provide an example of each.

Our experience with Enterprise varies by the office. Overall, I had good experiences on business, renting at airports, and near my office. My wife had a horrible experience in Baltimore at one of the downtown locations because they didn't really have a car available at the time indicated. She was on a restricted timeline, so their inability to provide a car as promised at the time indicated grated on her.

Yes, I did see that the full size wasn't much more..however I didn't want to get stuck with a full size Impala or something similar with a V6 hogging the gas on our 10 hour trip. I figured something in between the full size and compact would be good. Comfortable but decent on gas mileage.

Jetta? That's really an odd model to use as an example.

One class down is a Corolla, one class up is a Fusion.

Lol Greg we know you too well... You don't want to extend your OCI!
grin.gif

Any trips over 400 miles, and I rent.

Always reserve the smallest car you'd accept. Odds are, you'll get something better. My last reservation was for a full size (which is where I get my best discounts).

Check your credit cards, some will automatically provide damage waiver on rental cars. I get damage waiver free with my discounts.

On my last rental, when I showed up, they only had itty bitty cars. So, I got my choice of a Pathfinder, a minivan, or a pickup. Since I already have a van and a pickup, I took the Pathfinder.... and it still got 26-27mpg on the interstate.

The previous generation Impalas were always my favorite. Large, smooth, comfortable, well equipped (usually with premium sound and XM)... didn't stand out when speeding, 27-28 mpg on the interstate at 75mph, and you could refill them with E-85 before returning, and save several bucks on a tank of fuel.

rentals are super cheap up here. I Dont rent cause the car only has 56000 km on it so I don't mind. If I wanted to test drive a certain car I would take it on a trip to test it. Maybe a Mustang or some other cool car.

Last rental I got was a "standard"--I got an Avenger. Note that while the V6 200 is superb, the 4-banger (which rental Avengers have) well and truly sucks. (And with the underpowered engine and old 4-speed transaxle, it uses MORE fuel.) I think they also consider a Focus "standard".

Personally...I'd take the Park Avenue.
laugh.gif

Did a deal last year over Father's day. I had previously rented an Altima while my car was in the shop and when I returned it mentioned that if I could get this same class of car for the same rate, I'd book through them rather than Priceline or whatever I used.

They took the deal. Picked up the car on the Saturday before Father's Day. Ended up getting a Maxima with about 30k miles on the clock. Returned it the Saturday after. I put around 2000-2100 miles on it round trip to Broomfield, CO from the STL Metro area and back.

Total cost with tax was $170.

So on the order of $25/day for a Maxima.

Car was clean, it worked and it was a bargain.

Expensed my costs upto equivalent airfare and rental car since this was a work trip. Took oilBabe with me and made it a vacation of sorts as I was in class each day and had the evenings to explore.

I was trying to keep costs low as I would only be reimbursed for what I'd spend in airfare and a rental car out of DEN. Not much out of pocket for us to take this trip.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We will be taking a trip to visit some friends next weekend, instead of putting another 1000 miles on my Accord we will be renting a car from Enterprise. I got a decent deal by going into the store to book the car vs booking online. I chose a "standard" size car because I didn't want to be stuck in an Accent, Versa or something similar. The trip will be 10 hours 1 way so I want to be comfortable. Seeing as rental car companies see car classes differently, do any of you who regularly use Enterprise know what kind of car I should expect in the "standard" category? Hoping its a Malibu/Chrysler 200 or something similar.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Last rental I got was a "standard"--I got an Avenger. Note that while the V6 200 is superb, the 4-banger (which rental Avengers have) well and truly sucks. (And with the underpowered engine and old 4-speed transaxle, it uses MORE fuel.) I think they also consider a Focus "standard".

laugh.gif

When my wife's car was in the body shop for an extended stay, our rental was an Avenger from Enterprise. It truly was a [censored] car. It was a 2012 model but if you told me it was 1990 model, I would have believed you.

Who knows what kind of car they give you. If you rent a compact and they're all out of compacts, they'll upgrade you for free.

Be careful make sure your current insurance policy covers that car in full... Be very sure! Also if there is any out of pocket expense make sure you are covered.

Why do people rent for long trips instead of putting xxxx miles on their car? Personally I really look forward to long trips in my car as they seem to blow out the cobwebs and burn off the nasties! It always seems to run much better after a long trip
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Jetta? That's really an odd model to use as an example.

One class down is a Corolla, one class up is a Fusion.

I rented from Enterprise in Tulsa OK last August and got a Jetta.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

laugh.gif

When my wife's car was in the body shop for an extended stay, our rental was an Avenger from Enterprise. It truly was a [censored] car. It was a 2012 model but if you told me it was 1990 model, I would have believed you.

Who knows what kind of car they give you. If you rent a compact and they're all out of compacts, they'll upgrade you for free.

Honestly...I tried for a DOWNgrade. They had a new (first I'd seen) Mirage, and I asked for it. (Unfortunately, it had just come back with a flat tire.) Not because I had an Avenger (I honestly liked the car, aside from the circa-1996 drivetrain), but because 40+MPG sounded better than 28. (Also, I was bringing six copy-paper boxes, a Sterilite tote a folded display, and 3 suitcases, so the hatch would have been much easier than the Avenger's trunk.)

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Why do people rent for long trips instead of putting xxxx miles on their car? Personally I really look forward to long trips in my car as they seem to blow out the cobwebs and burn off the nasties! It always seems to run much better after a long trip
smile.gif

Neither my wife's nor my vehicles had anywhere to securely store a bunch of stuff out of the weather. (My Caddy or her Grand National weren't options due to salted roads.)

smile.gif

Yup. I'm on the race to 200k on my car. Any chance I can take it instead of something else I do.

smile.gif

Neither my wife's nor my vehicles had anywhere to securely store a bunch of stuff out of the weather. (My Caddy or her Grand National weren't options due to salted roads.)

I see, wouldn't want to pay for the fuel for that stroked Caddy either!!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
smile.gif

Yup. I'm on the race to 200k on my car. Any chance I can take it instead of something else I do.

Same here! Recently passed 200k and I'm shooting for the moon! Love racking up the clicks!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol Greg we know you too well... You don't want to extend your OCI!
grin.gif

Haha, love it! I've taken the Accord on two long trips, and one semi long trip this year already and racked up some miles. I't not interested in adding on another 1K miles. Besides, you should be proud of me Nick, I am well on my way to 20% on the MM. Not long ago I was changing it at less than 60% (usually around 3000 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back