Is oem Always The Best Choice For Air Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only used standard air filters (OEM, CARQUEST/Wix, and Hastings) in my current car. All have worked fine as far as I can tell.

My 14 Si air filter is a Filtech and was surprised when I replaced it. I was wondering at first why the dirt on it kind of looked a little greasy. Put in a dryflow afe.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
I have only used standard air filters (OEM, CARQUEST/Wix, and Hastings) in my current car. All have worked fine as far as I can tell.

+1

I tried a Fram TG for a '07 Accord V6 and had high silicon levels , likely due to a bad seal and poor fit. Returned to OEM and levels have returned to normal.

I would say - "it depends". The OEM on my FX4 does not work as well as a NAPA Gold filter. The silicon levels dropped fairly significantly when I switched over and additionally, the fit of the NAPA is much tighter in the airbox than the MC filter was. I plan to install a NAPA GOld in my Explorer soon as well.

For my fleet and personal vehicles I buy in bulk and it changes between Mann, Fram, Motorcraft and Hastings. I have not seen any differences except for the box color and the color of the media / rubber between the filters. They all seem to be the same to me. My tow yard is dirt and my wreckers race in and out 24/7 so an air filter has a life of about 5,000-7,000 miles. My personal car is about 10k on air filter and same for cabin air filter.

Washable dryflow aFe... costs 3x as much and have already broken even on two of them. Wash, more like gentle rinse, every year or 10k. I enjoy the 10 mile dirt road commute to civilization a little too much.

I had no problem with ANY filter from the autopart store or dealer...Napa, Fram, STP, Purolater.... just got tired of the waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back