What's the best US Driving Holiday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning our summer hols and we've decided on America.

What are the best options for a 2 week driving holiday?

Are you a "city" or a "country" person?
If you are a country person:
The Western mountain states like Idaho, South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming have some spectacular scenery and some nice parks like Yellowstone and Glacier.
City:
Chicago and St. Louis come to mind, and Vegas if you want an "experience".

Depends on what you want.

Do you want to spend time in the Plains, the Parks, the Mountains, or the Coasts?

You can easily spend two weeks exploring from New Mexico all the way up to Yellowstone in just one trip, if you wanted to spend some quality time with a couple of days in several locations.

You could do a West Coast trip, and hit the Grand Canyon if you wanted to go in land for a couple of days. You will still have the Rockies when you get up to Seattle.

There's so much to do in the US, you might be better off throwing a dart at a map and go from there.

BC.

Early December is pretty swell! I visited Grand Canyon and it's their "off season" so they let private cars in where normally it's just parks crews and tour busses.

It's a little early for serious winter weather, kids are stuck in school, and people are busy in their hometowns Xmas shopping. Gas prices are usually pretty cheap. The air is crisp and dry. Scenery can be, meh, but the lack of foliage lets you see farther.

I would agree with the concept of "bang for the buck" without overloading sites / destinations during the two week period.

Something along the lines of the Pacific Coast Highway ( Hwy 1 ) combined with something that interests you in LA, on to Grand Canyon ( via I-40 which parallels the old Route 66 is interesting in itself if you're not into mega cities and related attractions ), then whatever direction that matches your time and loose itinerary.

When you say "driving holiday" I think in terms of what I did when I was in Britain...which is drive all through the West Country and Cornwall. Similarly in the U.S. that would likely be the western states vs. the eastern seaboard but it all depends on what interests you, time to get there, time of year, and what fits your itinerary. The "open jaws" itinerary where you fly into one place and depart from another two weeks later.

When you plan on visiting is important - the weather can be way too hot in the south-western portion July-August.

Just come to Texas, everything you need to see about America is somewhere in Texas!
19.gif

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you see something that you can't see in the EU.
You have coasts at home.
After all, you live on a large island.
You also have plenty of greenery.
You have historic sights throughout the EU older than anything in the US that have survived numerous wars.
What you don't have anywhere in Great Britain or any part of the EU are vast open spaces.
We have those here.
You could lose Great Britain in the vast open range of Montana or the Texas Hill Country, and there wouldn't be a whole lot of France or Germany sticking out either.
I'd fly to Chicago and head west.
You can take a great circle through the north and then head south.
There are plenty of attractions along the way.
You'd cross Wisconsin then cross the headwaters of the Missisipi River into Minnesota. Next up is South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore, which is really something to see. You'll be approaching the Rocky Mountain Range as you cross South Dakota and it dwarfs anything you'll see in the EU.
Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon would be easily hit, but there is so much more to see, depending upon how much driving you want to do.
You should also plan to rent a car unlike those at home, like a big SUV with plenty of engine.
Gasoline here costs about a third of what you pay at home, so you may as well find out why so many Americans favor large, thirsty vehicles.
You could then return home from DFW.
My thinking is that you should see sights unlike those available on a quick weekend trip flying Ryanair.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Interstate highways allow you to drive coast to coast, without seeing anything.

--Charles Kuralt

Take this seriously.

Even though it isn't true outside of the crowded parts of our country.

Originally Posted By: ThorpeyD
I'm planning our summer hols and we've decided on America.

What are the best options for a 2 week driving holiday?

You need to ask yourself how much driving do you want to do and are you ok driving in heavy traffic and long distances. For instance if you visited North East USA, you could visit New England in a few days and then Drive to NYC and then maybe venture down to Washington DC. You would have visited a lot of places in a shorter period of time.

If you headed West, from Chicago over to the Rocky Mountains it will be a longer drive and you won't see as much. It's S-P-R-E-A-D out. The Rockies are spectacular. You could also head to Utah to check it out as well.

I hear the the Grand Canyon is a sight to see as well.

I've never been further west than Colorado. You could also visit the West coast and Head from Seattle down to San Diego.

Are you going to do a round trip driving or just a one way drive? If you visit in August and decide to visit the East coast or gulf coast you run the risk of travelling in Hurricane season. It's unlikely to effect you, but you should know about it. You wouldn't want to be Stuck on I95 in Florida during a mass evacuation.

Thanks for so many great options that I hadn't even heard of.

I need to do some more research. Will let you all know what we decide.

I wish I could take a trip like that myself this summer.

Some basic suggestions come to mind--

The eastern half of the country will mostly be miserably hot and humid during the summer. The West will just be hot, and cooler in the high country. My own bias is toward the West and outdoor scenery.

Pick a place to fly in and out of, and make a driving loop in that region. (Northwest, central Rockies, Southwest with California, for example) That will let you see a lot, but put a reasonable limit on the amount of driving.

The western states are BIG. It will take most of a day to cross one, especially if you stop at the sights or walk some trails.

If you plan to stay in any of the national parks, it would be a good idea to make reservations well in advance. At the first park, buy an annual pass--this will cover entry fees at national parks and many other federal sites. Annual Pass

Here's one suggested itinerary, with a focus on natural scenery and Native American\Western history:

Fly into Denver, and make your way southwest to Mesa Verde National Park.

From there, go northwest to Moab, Utah. You could spend at least two or three nights there to explore Arches and Canyonlands NPs. Canyonlands is an hour's drive from town, and Arches has several shorter trails. (As an alternative, go southwest from Mesa Verde to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon, and then back north.)

From Moab, make your way north to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Plan to spend at least one night in each, if not more. From Yellowstone, there are plenty of historical and natural features to see throughout northern and central Wyoming as you make your way back to Colorado.

If there's time, go up to Rocky Mountain NP and the town of Estes Park before returning to Denver. Lodging might be reasonable at the YMCA in Estes Park.

Enjoy your trip!

Check out the maps on this site:
http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-tours/guided-motorcycle-tours

Tell you the truth that Wild West 16 day tour would give even a native a lot of memories and sights.

I'd probably take the National Park one because I like Bryce and Zion canyons so much, but I'd want a day or two to hike around. Zion has one, Angels Landing, that is a great hike, but go with seasoned hiking boots in order to avoid blisters.

Spackard's comment about hiking boots reminds me to mention hats and sunscreen. You'll want both if you spend any amount of time outside in the West.

I was thinking the southwest would have the landscape thats hardest to find in Europe. Maybe start in Las Vegas, and see the grand canyon, death valley, giant sequoias, and LA? Rent a jeep and do some semi-serious off roading in the desert?
I still like driving down the Appalachians too, if you keep up higher in elevation its quite nice in the summer as well.

I also think the Southwest would be the best choice. You can easily spend one month exploring just the Four Corners without running out of things to see. Summer can be brutally hot. You will need a lot of water and sunscreen. For safety's sake, don't dress like foreign tourists and never discuss politics with the locals.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
For safety's sake, don't dress like foreign tourists and never discuss politics with the locals.

Thanks. I was already warned about that from the infamous Top Gear episode!

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Here's one suggested itinerary, with a focus on natural scenery and Native American\Western history:

Fly into Denver, and make your way southwest to Mesa Verde National Park.

From there, go northwest to Moab, Utah. You could spend at least two or three nights there to explore Arches and Canyonlands NPs. Canyonlands is an hour's drive from town, and Arches has several shorter trails. (As an alternative, go southwest from Mesa Verde to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon, and then back north.)

From Moab, make your way north to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Plan to spend at least one night in each, if not more. From Yellowstone, there are plenty of historical and natural features to see throughout northern and central Wyoming as you make your way back to Colorado.

If there's time, go up to Rocky Mountain NP and the town of Estes Park before returning to Denver. Lodging might be reasonable at the YMCA in Estes Park.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks. This sounds really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back