2012 Audi A6 Royal Purple 5w40 12,200 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was this old stock RP oil, or stuff you just recently purchased? I'm trying to find out if RP is using Moly in their oil again, since they cut it out a in a VOA on here from a couple of years ago...looks like the Moly is really high, higher than they used to use back 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for any info.

Originally Posted By: RAM_Designs
Was this old stock RP oil, or stuff you just recently purchased? I'm trying to find out if RP is using Moly in their oil again, since they cut it out a in a VOA on here from a couple of years ago...looks like the Moly is really high, higher than they used to use back 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for any info.

Sorry for the late reply but I just read this when gearhead linked this thread in another thread.
Yes the RP I used was an older stock. I believe it was from 5 years ago. It was refilled with a new 5w40 stock of RP with the new bottle design. I'll get a UOA in another 10k miles so we can certainly compare the two. But like Garak said the 5w40 and 0w40 most likely have the same formulations as they are not restricted to the ZDDP levels since they are Euro oils.

I think there is one difference - Synerlec. The 5w-40 you used has the Synerlec, whereas the 0w-40 does not. But, I don't think there have been any recent reformulations as the specifications didn't change when the others went to SN and SN/GF-4 as the case may be.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think there is one difference - Synerlec. The 5w-40 you used has the Synerlec, whereas the 0w-40 does not. But, I don't think there have been any recent reformulations as the specifications didn't change when the others went to SN and SN/GF-4 as the case may be.

Yes and the reason I choose to run the 5w40 over the 0w40 iteration is the synerlec additive in 5w40 even though the PDS shows the 0w40 to be a superior oil to 5w40..

Originally Posted By: Garak
Does synerlec improve this oil's overall properties to exceed the Superb Performance features of the synthetic 0w-40 far superior base oils in the formulation?

That's a good question. People do talk up Synerlec a lot but I don't think any of us have seen any fair comparisons back to back with similar formulations with or without Synerlec. Maybe it's more useful to something that puts more stress on the oil or components. I simply stuck with the 0w-40. I doubt it would make any significant difference in an "average" type application if either product were used, and used as intended.

At least according to the RP site, it helps during high stress times (marketing speak, but something at least) and improves resistance to oxidation. I know if I insisted upon running RP synthetic in my F-150, it would be the HPS with Synerlec. But, it's not because it has Synerlec that I'd choose it; I like the higher ZDDP level, which is fine for the old girl.
wink.gif

I've been emailing RP back and forth and this is what I received as an explanation of synerlec from one of there reps "Synerlec will increase the oil film strength by 3 to 4 times, compared to any other engine oil, and this oil film strength increase reduces friction and metal to metal contact. The result of this is greatly reduced short and long term wear, and an increase in efficiency of operation (better fuel economy and more power to the ground). Synerlec also creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts for continuous protection even on start up"

Originally Posted By: Gearhead1194
I've been emailing RP back and forth and this is what I received as an explanation of synerlec from one of there reps "Synerlec will increase the oil film strength by 3 to 4 times, compared to any other engine oil, and this oil film strength increase reduces friction and metal to metal contact. The result of this is greatly reduced short and long term wear, and an increase in efficiency of operation (better fuel economy and more power to the ground). Synerlec also creates an ionic bond that adheres to metal parts for continuous protection even on start up"

Did they offer to send you, or direct you to any sort of test/analysis that supports those claims?

Well without numbers it's a shell game, and without knowing the specifics of the test regimen it is meaningless.

I'm sure ExxonMobil could come up with A Test that shows whatever they want to show, right? Maybe if you ask more you can get what test is used and actual data.

Besides, how does that difference in film strength apply to a passenger car engine and how is it relevant?

Originally Posted By: Gearhead1194

well then did you actually achieve any of these benefits of synerlec-blended engine oil specially fuel economy (how much % fuel saved), or not at all in your case ?

I haven't used RP? Why are you guys attacking me? I simply stated what I was told from an RP rep? Don't like it? Email or call them. I didn't make it up. My god. Just because it's not your favorite or your choice at all doesn't mean you need to put down other people.

No one's attacking you. There are just a lot of questions here about Synerlec, that's all. I've used Royal Purple, but no little about Synerlec other than it's a sulphurised ester and a lot of people are confident in it. We do know it's an actual additive that's in the oil. People here are just wondering if you got any numbers out of RP.

In any event, I don't worry too much about it being either a gimmick or a ripoff. It isn't in all RP oils. RP can never win no matter what. If it has Synerlec and high ZDDP, it's criticized for not having modern API approvals. The line that has modern API approvals is criticized for being "weak."

It can easily be suggested that since synerlec causes the oil to go outside the API guidelines for additive potency it must be a good thing, same with ZDDP limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back