Does Seafoam Actually Work in a Car? (with Proof)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only application I have found useful for Seafoam (Spray) is as an inductiion system cleaner.

In my opinion it is too thin a solvent for any other application.

Originally Posted By: Xeno

That video shows it doing basically nothing other than a smoke show. Oh, and it made the carbon look more wet. When he bore-scopes the 2nd cylinder for the "after" pics he also drops something into the bore, LOL!

That's not proof of anything other than it being a monumental waste of time and money.

How can a light oil,and isopropyl alcohol clean anything? I see that B12 isn't used in any tests.Why? Its a bazillion times sronger than SeaFoam.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't think it looks any different ...

What I was thinking too...thought maybe my eyes were getting bad!

That lawnmower vid shows an almost spotless piston after seafoam.

It was posted a few days ago. Find that one then run your gums

Originally Posted By: Clevy
That lawnmower vid shows an almost spotless piston after seafoam.

It was posted a few days ago. Find that one then run your gums

No it doesn't. It shows some smaller chunks of soft carbon removed. And the piston was very clean to begin with.

I also remarked, in that thread, that it was being done on a carbureted engine and doubted it would be as effective on an injected engine. It would appear I was correct.

Ultimately, the product does SFA other than make a lot of smoke. This video is proof of exactly that.

And for the sake of bringing the evidence I screen captured the lawnmower video.

First pic is before. Second pic is after running 1/3rd of a can through it. Which looks the same after he runs another 1/3rd of a can through it.

Finally, he pulls the plug, tips the mower up and pours it into the cylinder and lets it soak. THEN it does a bit of cleaning. Of course at that point so would carb cleaner, B12, AC Delco CC......etc. Anything with a solvent in it.

Basically, through the intake, the "smoke show" does nothing. An actual soak yields some cleaning. Which would involve pulling all your plugs, pouring it in. Letting it sit. And then spinning over the engine to get the stuff out and THEN firing it up. This unfortunately doesn't yield the "awesome" smoke show though
smirk.gif

Seafoam01.jpg

Also of note is the scoring in the bore of that lawnmower.... Wonder if that's a result of drying the bore out repeatedly with these Wizards in a can?

drying the bore (taking away that several um's worth of oil film on the cylinder wall surface where the piston ring "rides/glides" on will definitely lead to scouring, period.

I'd rather take on the extra effort of manually dismantling the B&S cylinder head (flat head BTW, applies similarly to OHV types) and manually scrub the deposits clean instead.

That way: I would not cause any further damage to the cylinder wall.

*not to myself: never would I do piston soak in solvents of any kind.....damage done to cylinder walls, rings, etc. far outweigh the benefits of the so-called cleaning the deposits off of the piston crown.

Sadly, too many noobies all over the internet constantly in search of the "so-called" miracles in a can, the ones that purportedly does all the mysterical, mythical cleaning and added lubrication, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They are conditioned to take on the favourable side and discount the ones that tell them no, even with evidence.

That's why those old solvent formula still sells these days, not because of any scientific proofs (that it works); but more like urban legends/greek myths of the modern kind...still lingers on.

It's also reflective of the mentality within the society, you know.

Q.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2664444/Searchpage/1/Main/178223/Words/craftsman/Search/true/B&S_675_refresh_(past_#Post2664444

Originally Posted By: Quest
drying the bore (taking away that several um's worth of oil film on the cylinder wall surface where the piston ring "rides/glides" on will definitely lead to scouring, period.

I'd rather take on the extra effort of manually dismantling the B&S cylinder head (flat head BTW, applies similarly to OHV types) and manually scrub the deposits clean instead.

That way: I would not cause any further damage to the cylinder wall.

*not to myself: never would I do piston soak in solvents of any kind.....damage done to cylinder walls, rings, etc. far outweigh the benefits of the so-called cleaning the deposits off of the piston crown.

Sadly, too many noobies all over the internet constantly in search of the "so-called" miracles in a can, the ones that purportedly does all the mysterical, mythical cleaning and added lubrication, yadda, yadda, yadda.

They are conditioned to take on the favourable side and discount the ones that tell them no, even with evidence.

That's why those old solvent formula still sells these days, not because of any scientific proofs (that it works); but more like urban legends/greek myths of the modern kind...still lingers on.

It's also reflective of the mentality within the society, you know.

Q.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2664444/Searchpage/1/Main/178223/Words/craftsman/Search/true/B&S_675_refresh_(past_#Post2664444

This^^^^

How 'bout a control test of running a small stream of plain water through?

My guess is that the steam clean would be at least as effective.

steam clean would be effective so long as the water introduced into the system is to be kept to a manageable level, and oil change afterwards to rid of any moisture that got into the oil due to blowby.

Unfortunately, steam cleaning is not easy to control, and the use of water to clean combustion chamber, when done incorrectly, can easily lead to hydrolock and snapping of conn rod shall result.

Q.

I think in this case, it didn't do too much. But who knows what was cleaned out of the intake.

A few years ago, we did this on my Jeep 4.0 and a friend's Jeep 4.0. Mine made no smoke ... my friend's made a ton of smoke. Both had similar miles and were both up to temperature. Really strange.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I think in this case, it didn't do too much. But who knows what was cleaned out of the intake.

A few years ago, we did this on my Jeep 4.0 and a friend's Jeep 4.0. Mine made no smoke ... my friend's made a ton of smoke. Both had similar miles and were both up to temperature. Really strange.

The smoke is from the pale oil carrier which burns like.... oil. If yours didn't smoke, it probably was pooling in the intake somewhere.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How can a light oil,and isopropyl alcohol clean anything? I see that B12 isn't used in any tests.Why? Its a bazillion times sronger than SeaFoam.

Agree with that. B12 has more solvents to clean up fuel system and is cheaper than seafoam I believe.

I think Seafoam is mainly pale oil and marketing is its biggest strength. If someone wants to use it I am sure it better than nothing. However I do believe the NEW Gumout in the seafoam-like can actually works since its got PEA in it and thats what breaks down gunk...so I have been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back