M1 question 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 in my trucks for 30 yrs. My 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Purchased New) has been using 0-20 since day 1. I went to Mobil site and see they now also recommend 0-30 for my engine. Would this be better for my Arizona engine? It now has 46,000 miles. No issues.

As far as I knew, Toyota has always recommended XW/30 in the 4.0 truck motor. What does your manual (And the oil fill cap) have to say?

Anyway, I have been using 0W/30 and 5W/30 Mobil 1 in my '05 Tacoma for over 100k miles, since new. It is the same basic motor, though I believe they pounded a few more horses into yours. Over half of those miles have been towing a travel trailer. I would not use anything else.

Toyota went to 0w20 across the board in almost all of their vehicles. My 4runner 4.0L ran better on a 30w (quieter) so for me I would go to the 30w. But the 20w is fine.

My old Tundra with the 5.7 V8 was spec'ed for 0w-5w/20, but it was much quieter with 0w-5w/30. Many people believe that this should be a preferable oil particularly in the south. My truck loved the GC 0w-30.

Based on my personal testing, M1 0w30 is a very light 30w, and shears down to a 20w after use.. If you live in AZ and rarely see temps below 10-20 degrees, I would use a 5w20 or 5w30. M1 0w30 shuld be fine as well.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
As far as I knew, Toyota has always recommended XW/30 in the 4.0 truck motor. What does your manual (And the oil fill cap) have to say?

Anyway, I have been using 0W/30 and 5W/30 Mobil 1 in my '05 Tacoma for over 100k miles, since new. It is the same basic motor, though I believe they pounded a few more horses into yours. Over half of those miles have been towing a travel trailer. I would not use anything else.

Perhaps for the older models, but just for clarification purposes for other readers, I'll add my moms 2015 4runner TRD calls for a 0w20.

From what I've seen M1 is a good about specing what is the manufacturer says. If their site as well as the OM says to use a 30 weight, any xxw-30 will work.

Originally Posted By: Marlin39a
I've been using Mobil 1 in my trucks for 30 yrs. My 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Purchased New) has been using 0-20 since day 1. I went to Mobil site and see they now also recommend 0-30 for my engine. Would this be better for my Arizona engine? It now has 46,000 miles. No issues.

I had the same question myself when considering and almost buying an FJ a couple years ago.

After checking on FJ Cruiser forums, there were several guys using 0w30 with no reduction in mpg and no ill effects. Although they did not do any BITOG level analysis they were satisfied with results. Also IIRC the owners' manual recommends a higher viscosity when towing, during high speed operation, up mountains, etc so 0w30 was my plan.

Last edited:
My 2015 Tacoma 4WD TRD 6-Cyl is pretty clear about using 5W-30. My previous Tacoma (2011) had a 4-Cyl, and it called for 0W-20

You say in your post that you went to the Mobil site for the recommendation. I'd stick with the Toyota recommendation, whatever that happens to be.

Last edited:
Oil company is more knowledge about oil for your engine than anyone but car manufacture, if you need to enter the location and M1 recommends 0W30 for Arizona in summer then I you should follow their advice.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
My 2015 Tacoma 4WD TRD 6-Cyl is pretty clear about using 5W-30. My previous Tacoma (2011) had a 4-Cyl, and it called for 0W-20

You say in your post that you went to the Mobil site for the recommendation. I'd stick with the Toyota recommendation, whatever that happens to be.

This is hilarious and opposite to the 4runner. Lol.

I assume the 4.0 is the only V6 they put in these things?

I suggest the OP join the FJ cruiser forums as there are pages of threads pertaining to oil...

I`ve run 0W20 the last few years in the FJ in NC weather and a few years up North in NJ weather. the dual VVT of the newer models require the 0W20. Also towing a trailer was never an issue with that grade.

Toyota`s home brand oil is very good. I did run Amsoil XL for the duration of my ownership.

I believe in Australia the FJ`s were spec`d for a different grade, but check your owners manual to be sure...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

This is hilarious and opposite to the 4runner. Lol.

I assume the 4.0 is the only V6 they put in these things?

Yes, the 1GR-FE engine. Not sure what the 4-Runner has.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2015+TOYOTA+TACOMA+0

What's the OCI on the 4-Runner? For both my 4 and 6 cyl, it is 5K, which is a pain. I am following it for now because I have heard about some sludging issues. I might do a 10k filter CI, though.

Last edited:
JerryBob, you might be interested in trying the longer filter for your Toyota if you have the space for it.

It's about an inch longer than stock, but otherwise identical.

Fram XG 3600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back